Has the world gone woke or mad

georgegeorgia

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Or ...

"Since the huge influx of new residents into Florida in the late 20th and early 21st centuries, from the northern parts of the United States and from Mexico and Latin America, the term Florida cracker is used informally by some Floridians to indicate that their families have lived in the state for many generations."

Now imagine an old generational Floridian

'black' family, calling themselves 'crackers' ... ????

Got to think outside the cracker box.  I'm a 'Ritz' man myself, though would rather be a rich man.

I recco the book Cracker Architecture, for a deep dive into perfectly nice houses with a slightly peaked roof.

You can call a white person a cracker to their face, you can't call black people the bad word. A guy in London upset about southern Cracker self esteem and hurt feelings is my laugh of the day.

By the above definition, I'm pretty woke. I'm here every day talking about old records and eating out. Is it terrible? 

Worrying about distant, theoretical wokeness that has never affected your life and never will is the equivalent of deliberately sitting on a tack over and over again.

You ask why, and they say, "I'm fighting the tack. Somebody has to. Oh well, back to it Damn you, tack".

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, I don't, and you are saying I believe in things I don't. Perhaps you can confine yourself to what I actually said and not make stuff up.

Best country I ever lived in was Singapore under Lee Kuan Yew, which had elections but was basically a one party state.

Fair enough but your posts do seem to lean away from supporting democracies and you seem loathe to criticise the likes of Putin. Just saying that you could appreciate the freedoms you have in New Zealand. 

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why would any of us criticise Putin?

I don't care what happens in Russia or any of the thuggish countries surrounding it.

Part of wokism is an intense interest in things that don't really matter to us.

I take your point but it's one thing if you simply don't post on the topic but it's a different kettle of fish if you do. 

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Part of wokism is an intense interest in things that don't really matter to us.

Somewhat agree.

Like sometimes liberals are concerned about Black people in Rwanda, but oppose having their kids go to school with the ones just down the road.

Then on the other end, there's the Hillbilly Elegy guy with the coastal lawyer wife who claims to be jes' folks.

Hypocrisy, not ideology, is the issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Fair enough but your posts do seem to lean away from supporting democracies and you seem loathe to criticise the likes of Putin. Just saying that you could appreciate the freedoms you have in New Zealand. 

Errrr, given I don't believe we have democracies, how can I "lean away" from them.

As for Putin, I don't live in Russia and he's not causing me any problems. I do worry about Xi and China. If I was inclined to criticise bad dictatorial politicians the world is full of them, so where to begin?

As for NZ, it's significantly less "free" now than when I was a child. Ask a farmer for proof of that.

As politics isn't permitted on this sub forum I regret I can't expand on any of that as it would be pure politics to do so.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You miss the fundamental crux of the matter. 

We will pay the price, and we have been paying the price, for the sins of our fathers. 

Or, do you think that hanging fruit on a poplar tree cannot affect generations to come? 

Get real. 

How far back you want to go, Romans enslaving Brits? History is full of barbarism and enslavement. Move on.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't speak for me. Not all white people are descended from nations that had slaves or colonized the world.

I have nothing in my forefather's history to be ashamed of.

White people have been enslaved by other cultures as well.

Hundreds of thousands of Europeans were captured by Barbary pirates and sold as slaves in North Africa and the Ottoman Empire between the 16th and 19th centuries.

I want reparation!

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I don't know about you guys...however...

I just feel glad that the time is nigh!

The time is now upon us when we can finally lay down our white man's burden.

Such a very heavy burden that we have carried...

The white man's burden has almost broken our backs.

And I’m sure there aren’t any absurd things in Thailand.  Amazing the way some people always criticize the West  But turn a blind eye to other places. 
The things mentioned might be not considered the norm. But that’s part of freedom.  If people want conformity, strict controls on how people think.  Well maybe a place like North Korea might be an option. 
And I personally wouldn’t go by TicToc and YouTube if a person is looking for total rationality.  

1 hour ago, charmonman said:

Same reason people criticized Hitler in the 1930s. Because he was a thug and a fascist. Didn’t really matter to us until suddenly it did.

Would point out Britain started the war with Hitler, wasn't really our business.

Now NATO are looking to start a war with Putin, which isn't NATO's business either.

NATO's business is to defend it's signatory countries, neither Ukraine or Russia are members.

The world is full of thug/fascist leaders, Asia, Middle East, Africa and S. America are full of them.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out Britain started the war with Hitler, wasn't really our business.

Now NATO are looking to start a war with Putin, which isn't NATO's business either.

NATO's business is to defend it's signatory countries, neither Ukraine or Russia are members.

The world is full of thug/fascist leaders, Asia, Middle East, Africa and S. America are full of them.

There are some who may be a bit wokey.  But most people feel stuff when they see people being treated badly and bullied or killed indiscriminately and would like to see it rectified. It can be a strength and to feel otherwise a weakness. If you feel nothing you might consider that something has gone amiss. 

In the case of Ukraine of course it has real life impacts on all our lives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charmonman said:

It’s not just the left that has some crazy and stupid ideas. Have you heard of Marjorie Taylor Greene? Have you heard of Herschel Walker?  How about Rudy Giuliani? The Democrats have their own issues on the fringes with the things you mention but it’s the Republicans that seem to have welcomed the real crazies and morons into their warm embrace.

MAGA

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:13 PM, mikebike said:

Define "woke" for us all. So many peeps use it in different ways, it is difficult to comment without a mutually agreed upon definition.

It's mostly word salad... but... based on Post Marxist Critical Theory https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00131857.2021.1876669

"We define wokeness as critical consciousness to intersecting systems of oppression" (See Intersectionality. Kimberle Crenshaw, etc.) https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1135942.pdf

It focuses on dismantling systems (revolution). They believe it is better to focus on destroying/changing the system than help those in need:

"Critical action can be understood as a form of civic engagement, but maintains a narrower focus on challenging oppression and is less concerned with traditional political participation or general community well-being (e.g., community cleanup). Critical action aims to dismantle oppressive social systems, distinct from civic and political behaviors that support established social programs, volunteerism, and service (Westheimer & Kahne, 2004). Furthermore, critical action within the framework of critical consciousness emphasizes critical analysis of social structures, while civic engagement does not necessarily consider analyzing systems of oppression (Shaw, Brady, McGrath, Brennan, & Dolan, 2014). For example, rather than involving volunteering at a soup kitchen, critical action would entail collective mobilization to change housing policies that lead to homelessness, or advocating, protesting, or demonstrating for social justice for marginalized communities, such as LGBTQ people or women (Diemer et al., 2020). This focused conception of critical action as combatting systems of oppression is consistent with the root of critical consciousness theory: the liberation of all people (Freire, 1970)." https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/166387/cdep12393_am.pdf?sequence=2

The idea is to have a revolution in order to destroy/change the current systems (Praxis). 

"This is consistent with Freirian pedagogy, in that social action should naturally loop back to analysis and dialogue such that reflection and social action merge to form praxis, the foundation for revolution." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5892452/

In Freire's Critical Pedagogy of which Critical Consciousness is derived: "Freire treats consciousness in much the same manner as Hegel and Marx". 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/307623266_The_Critical_Epistemology_of_Paulo_Freire

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/298704499_Critical_pedagogy_and_marx_vygotsky_and_freire_Phenomenal_forms_and_educational_action_research

On 11/9/2022 at 3:13 PM, mikebike said:

Define "woke" for us all. So many peeps use it in different ways, it is difficult to comment without a mutually agreed upon definition.

Not any of his videos were to me "woke" by any definitions. My interpretation is a being whom finds their thinking skills are in tune with the ability to reason any truth

On 11/9/2022 at 3:12 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

I absolutely agree. It's been the advent of social media that has raised an awareness of just HOW mad people are. This species really needs a reboot.

Agree. Ironically, the social media seems to cause people to be more aware … more “woke” to reality.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:09 PM, spidermike007 said:

It is more woke and weaker than ever. PC is the downfall of society and much of it is driven by the extreme toxicity of social media. 

I watch a lot of UK tv series, and it is absolutely guaranteed that there will be a mixed race couple, a lesbian or homosexual relationship (or both), and a single parent. It's like they have to tick those boxes in order to get permission and finance to make the shows. The shows should surely reflect society as a whole, but they always show the 'extreme' edges and make that appear to be what is common and normal. It's exactly the same with tv commercials, if not more so.

• Thumbs Up 1