'Not a repudiation': Joe Biden holds off red wave, gets unexpected boost from midterm election

onthedarkside

41 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

That "divisive teleprompter reader" has achieved quite a bit, if one can be objective instead of a Cult 45er.

Biden inherited 6.8% unemployment from 45. UE is now 3.5%. Post Covid

Biden inherited a Recession (the usual repub gift to Dems, who always have to clean up the mess left by repubs); economy is growing now Covid again.

Biden inherited a pandemic out of control; it's over now Inherited from?

Biden inherited a runaway budget deficit, as 45 added $7,000,000,000,000 to the National Debt, or 37% of the total debt since 1776, but cut the yearly deficit by $350 billion in FY 2021 and $1.4 TRILLION in FY2022. No - they just cut the addition to the deficit by 1.4T - less emergency spending spending due to Covid. 

Biden inherited a broken NATO; he re-energized NATO, and now NATO has helped kick russia's slimy butt in Ukraine. Not so - NATO was already strengthening after Trump's warnings before Biden got in..

Rather than announce yet another "Infrastructure Week" but getting absolutely nothing done, Biden got a bipartisan infrastructure Bill passed that will benefit every American. Confusion reigns - only about half of the money goes on infrastructure and even assumes the broad use of fossil fuels for decades to come - Green New Deal or just BS???

22 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Come on.  Trump did try to cheat but it failed because those running the states wouldn't go along.  If he was successful at installing his goons in key places, e.g., governor of Pennsylvania, he'd have a better shot.  That would have been the only way he could have won because the vast majority of Americans hate his guts.

DeSantis is a Trumpist with a slicker presentation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

GOP finger-pointing begins as control of Congress is still up in the air

Some Republicans blamed former President Donald Trump for endorsing poor candidates

Trumpty-Dumpty sat on a wall

Trumpty-Dumpty had a great fall

All the king's horses

And all the king's men

Couldn't put Trumpty back together again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gargamon said:

Trumpty-Dumpty sat on a wall

Trumpty-Dumpty had a great fall

All the king's horses

And all the king's men

Couldn't put Trumpty back together again

You should copyright that - soonest!????

• Like 2

Interesting to see these people have strong support in their districts.

AOC in particular seems to evoke strong negative (possibly ambivalent) reactions from some people.

‘Squad’ members cruise to reelection

A group of six progressive House lawmakers known as the “squad” are all projected to cruise to reelection in Tuesday’s midterm elections.

Various outlets have called the races for Democratic Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.), Ilhan Omar (Minn.), Ayanna Pressley (Mass.), Rashida Tlaib (Mich.), Cori Bush (Mo.) and Jamaal Bowman (N.Y.).

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3726475-squad-members-cruise-to-re-election/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

2000 years ago Rome fell to the Visigoths. In the US in these midterms, the barbarians were at the gates, but they were held off. Democracy seems to have survived. Most of the election deniers endorsed by 45 have had to run to their safespace as losers like 45, while 45's supposed upcoming announcement of his candidacy in 2024 will have all the impact of the comet Kahoutek or Y2K.

Biden made the right move, noting in his pre-election speeches the threat to the future of democracy and freedom represented by fascists and election deniers. That resonated. The voters came out. As one journalist noted, perhaps the repubs will learn that picking your candidates out of the Star Wars cantina wasn't the best move.

Bell curve. I see where you are.

37 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I disagree. DeSantis just proved his bona fides last night. A huge margin of victory, great support amongst Latino voters, and sensible policies.  By the next primary, Trump will have little to show for the past 3 years, if he even gets that far. 

The last straw might be if Trump announces his intention to run next week. There is a very good chance that might just torpedo Herschel Walker in the Senate runoff and throw the senate back to the Dems.  If that happens, even the most hardcore Mega Maga might mosey.

I actually agree with you for the most part.  But DeSantis needs Trump's base.  If Trump were to gracefully bow out, anoint DeSantis as his legitimate successor, and give him his full blessing....whole new ballgame.  DeSantis would be formidable.  But what are the odds of that happening?  Maybe in a parallel universe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't be honest and objective based on comparison. Either one is or one isn't. You may prefer his viewpoint to the others, but that doesn't make him any more of either than them. I get that you hate Trump, but that doesn't mean Bret is better or worse than them.

Anyway, Trump is probably over, so what's the point of going on about him any more?

“I hate Trump”?  So you know me and my political viewpoints?  I do not know who or what you are.  Nor do I care to know.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I actually agree with you for the most part.  But DeSantis needs Trump's base.  If Trump were to gracefully bow out, anoint DeSantis as his legitimate successor, and give him his full blessing....whole new ballgame.  DeSantis would be formidable.  But what are the odds of that happening?  Maybe in a parallel universe. 

With the way the mid terms went, perhaps a "Trump annointment" is not exactly a great thing to get.  Big Ron might be better off to appear as the rebel or pirate and earn the support that way.

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

Baer likes to depict himself as one who does not drink the Fox kool-aid (in not as many words), and yeah, he may not be a screaming nutter but don't lose sight of what team he's on.  There is plenty of leaning rightward in his reporting. 

He has to carry the Fox Corp mantle.  Otherwise he would not be employed.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on the small sample of Republican voters here it looks like they are ready to dump Trump and go all in on De Santis.  My guess is the democrats will retain the senate with Arizona looking good and I think the more scrutiny of Herschell Walker the better for the Democrats - both morally and intellectually. He's the perfect example of a dud candidate and if I was a Republican I would be embarrassed that he was picked to represent my interests. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Not running anything. All speeches scripted still blunders. Gets told what to say and do. He is just the front for the woke power players.

Yeh Yeh.

Tell is again how the Republicans were going to wipe the Democrats out at the mid terms.

Tell us all your negative views of Biden and the Democrats, then explain how it is the Republicans failed to deliver on your predictions.