Selling land to foreigners is not selling out - it's "globalization" and normal, academic

webfact

I've been advocating for a while that if you are legally married to a Thai that you should be allowed to be a joint owner of a house and land package, if it is your principal place of residence. If they wanted to restrict that at all, then cap the size of the land parcel, and then they could say if you want to move and build a new home, then the foreigner's name could not be added to the new deed until it is removed from the previous properties deed.

Where's the harm in that.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It's just a part of modern day globalization and quite normal. 

Not normal for Thailand though.  "Thailand for Thai people!" ????

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Many Thais have bought land and property abroad.

Yes, and that's fine.  A good thing.  But foreigners cannot buy land in Thailand, the land of "rules for thee, but not for me".

• Like 1

As I understand it, there will still be plenty of restrictions. Buying land will only be possible for rich foreigners (who have substantial investments in Thailand, among other things), it will not be possible for your ‘average Joe’. And they will only be able to buy one whole rai. So why everyone is getting so worked up is beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

What’s a well heeled foreigner? I’ve lived here for almost 20 years, married to a Thai with a daughter. Purchased property that can only be in my wife’s name, a vehicle and payed school fees plus all the extras foreigners are charged. I get a non o visa every year at an exorbitant price. Have I qualified yet? In comparison my wife’s last visa for my home country was less than US$100 and was valid until the expiry date in her passport at the time (almost 5 years). I mean am I well heeled enough?

Fortunately for Malaysians like me, Malaysians, Singaporeans and South Koreans are exempted from paying Thai visa fees. 

5 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

I get a non o visa every year at an exorbitant price.

You get a new visa every year? An extension is relatively cheap. I did it for more than a decade pre-covid, and I think it was something like 1,900 baht per year. I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't a lot.

• Like 1