Bangkok taxi fares set to go up - will be rubber stamped by minister within two weeks

webfact

87c3c755621909bac0a25883da0776c56bb29ed12e9ce15416c4717e977ed38b.jpg

Siam Rath reported that officials from the Transport Ministry and DLT have completed consultations with taxi companies and other organizations over raising the prices of taxi fares in the Thai capital.

Wirat Phimphanit, an advisor to the Transport Ministry, said that fares would go up but not too much.

Measures to adjust meters would help taxi drivers so that it could be done quickly and not give them financial hardship.

Department of Land Transport chief Jirut Wisanjit, said that four taxi organisations had accepted the recommendations of the DLT and TDRI, the Thailand Development Research Institute.

Flagfall and fare for the first kilometer will be 35 baht for small taxis and 40 baht for larger ones. 

From 2-10 kilometers it will be 6.5 baht per kilometer. 

11-20 kms - 7 baht

21-40 kms - 8 baht

41-60 kms - 8.5 baht

61-80 kms 9 baht

Over 81 kms - 10.5 baht.

If taxis are stuck in traffic and can't move 6 kilometers/hour the fee will be 3 baht a minute. 

The plans are expected to be rubber stamped by transport minister Saksayam Chidchob withing the next one to two weeks.

It applies only to taxis in Bangkok of which there are 80,000 registered or 60,000 in reality, said the media without explanation of the apparent disparity. 

ASEAN NOW notes that the flagfall in Bangkok has been 35 baht for many years. The increases appear to be in the kilometer rate though Siam Rath made no comparison with past rates in their report.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Flagfall and fare for the first kilometer will be 35 baht for small taxis and 40 baht for larger ones. 

ASEAN NOW notes that the flagfall in Bangkok has been 35 baht for many years. The increases appear to be in the kilometer rate

How come Asean Now didn't "note" the differences in flagfall that were clearly reported?...

"Flagfall and fare for the first kilometer will be ... 40 baht for larger ones". 

Liverpool Lou notes that B40 flagfall is a B5 increase.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

50 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How come Asean Now didn't "note" the differences in flagfall that were clearly reported?...

"Flagfall and fare for the first kilometer will be ... 40 baht for larger ones". 

Liverpool Lou notes that B40 flagfall is a B5 increase.

The big difference during bad traffic will be this one: "If taxis are stuck in traffic and can't move 6 kilometers/hour the fee will be 3 baht a minute." Is fair enough in my opinion.

• Like 2

I last took a taxi a few weeks ago, I asked him why previously I could always use LINE MAN to call a taxi but now it is very hard. He replied, nowadays taxis are very busy much more than previously. I said I suppose you must be getting rich soon, and he said yes we are doing much better than previously

• Haha 1

The increase of fares is fair for the taxi drivers doing their jobs properly. This will not prevent the bandits chasing customers in front of hotels to screw them with excessive fares. Among the most greedy bandits are those parked in Sukhumvit Soi 11 constantly aggressing people walking there with their "discounted" fares typically 5 times exceeding what you would pay in flagging down a taxi passing by.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Meter fixing" is an issue in Bangkok?  I haven't come across that since I got here 1994 and I use Bangkok taxis every day.

I had a rigged meter from Swampy to my condo a couple of years ago. I was traveling to the airport regularly and I caught a taxi home and the meter ticking over outrageously fast. I wasn't even half way home on the expressway, which was my normal way home when the meter exceeded my normal total fare home. So I tapped old mate on the shoulder pointed to the meter and told him to stop the nonsense or I wouldn't pay. Then he reached under the dash on the right hand side and pressed a button, low and behold the meter rate went back to normal. When I got home the fare was still more than twice the normal rate so I paid him a normal fare and gave him a mouthful. He just shrugged and drove off because the security guard came over to help me with my bags, so yes it can happen, though that was my only negative experience.

I rarely catch taxi's anymore because I drive but I found taxi drivers around Saphan Kwai and Lad Prao to be very honest and always use meters.

4 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Prices are 50% too low.

Considering that a lot of time is actually spent stuck in traffic, these newly announced fares would probably make the cost of an average ride some 20-30% higher. I wonder how Mr. Wirat Phimphanit, an advisor, can say that the fares would not increase by much. 

Either way, I agree that a raise is long overdue since the fares have not changed in many years. 

13 minutes ago, zig said:

Considering that a lot of time is actually spent stuck in traffic, these newly announced fares would probably make the cost of an average ride some 20-30% higher. I wonder how Mr. Wirat Phimphanit, an advisor, can say that the fares would not increase by much. 

Either way, I agree that a raise is long overdue since the fares have not changed in many years. 

So 100 baht instead of 80 baht

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PMinThailand said:

The increase of fares is fair for the taxi drivers doing their jobs properly. This will not prevent the bandits chasing customers in front of hotels to screw them with excessive fares. Among the most greedy bandits are those parked in Sukhumvit Soi 11 constantly aggressing people walking there with their "discounted" fares typically 5 times exceeding what you would pay in flagging down a taxi passing by.  

Then go to Sukumvit 13 and they will use a meter if you flag them down. Simple. Who in their right mind or even second trip to Thailand know that you don't ever talk to a waiting cab and worse yet the ones with the drivers hanging out with other drivers. We hear of your complaint EVERY month on this forum but it's quite easy ( even on soi 11 as you mention) to just flag one down.  But on a very busy night just go to 13. 

• Like 1

I came into town last Friday.  The taxi driver asked if he could use the expressway, I okay.  It was 110 baht for the expressway plus we were waiting for about an hour to get onto Sukhumvit.  Then he didn’t know how to get to Soi 18 and just dropped me off on Sukhumvit.  So I had to walk to my hotel.  Fare was double what I usually pay for the same trip.  Never take the expressway coming into town.

I have never had a problem before, outside drivers trying to take the long way around.

I could have booked Grab which I loathe for probably cheaper.  The problem with Grab is there are never any cars available and they are twice the price of a regular taxi.  What’s going to happen to Grab fares now?