Is Thailand a better place to live then in western countries

kingstonkid

16 minutes ago, Non Immigrant said:

It's probably best to live in Thailand half the year and in the West the other half.

Why not have best of both?

Like many I miss the seasons in the U.K. Spring is particularly pleasant in rural areas. To avoid the cold weather another option would be to spend say, May, June & July in U.K. (or Western Europe).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidjameson said:

Why would anyone married and can afford a good life in the USA move to Thailand? America is the most blessed continent on the planet that is still not over populated and not completely environmentally plundered.

2 million entered US illegally since Uncle Joe took charge and on his first day in office shut down the main pipeline that would have spared Americans from the hideous energy inflation they now suffer from. 

So, over-population will soon be making native-born Americans look longingly at Thailand as a  place to live.  In Thailand they do take care of their borders (even if it causes us falang a lot of trouble at Immigration).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I would. The west is too pc. Too many rules. No restaurants on sand. Shops shut 5.30pm. No street food. A massage is no fun. The women are 85kgs with short hair. You cant flirt with every 2nd woman.

I agree with all of these but now I don't care because I'm older.

I would live a monk-like life out in the countryside ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non Immigrant said:

It's probably best to live in Thailand half the year and in the West the other half.

Why not have best of both?

As I get older, this seems to be the way I'm leaning more and more.  It requires a bit more financially but it really entails the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blazes said:

So, over-population will soon be making native-born Americans look longingly at Thailand as a  place to live.  

This is absurd. Most of the USA is pretty empty -and desperate for immigrants to keep the lights on.

I grow Christmas trees back in the states. The tree's are going straight up in price. Reason: Guatamalans now prefer to paint houses up north to doing the harvest.

One thing I really appreciate living in Nimman is the access to services, whether it's laundry, or enough wait staff in a restaurant. That hasn't been the case in years where I come from back in the states. You're waiting 30 minutes for a cheeseburger, it's cold when it arrives, and it costs $14 with the tax and tip.

In the long run, we'll prob split our time between Chiang Mai and The Blue Ridge Mountains, but we're still ga-ga in love with life here, so call that half a decade at least.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LaosLover said:

This is absurd. Most of the USA is pretty empty -and desperate for immigrants to keep the lights on.

I grow Christmas trees back in the states. The tree's are going straight up in price. Reason: Guatamalans now prefer to paint houses up north to doing the harvest.

One thing I really appreciate living in Nimman is the access to services, whether it's laundry, or enough wait staff in a restaurant. That hasn't been the case in years where I come from back in the states. You're waiting 30 minutes for a cheeseburger, it's cold when it arrives, and it costs $14 with the tax and tip.

In the long run, we'll prob split our time between Chiang Mai and The Blue Ridge Mountains, but we're still ga-ga in love with life here, so call that half a decade at least.

Thats kinda where we are headed.

I'm still mulling when I'm going to pull the trigger on SS, after my last awful early retirement try, which I ended up hating.

I've been looking at the options of how many hours I can work without giving up SS $ which would give us  months in the US, months in Thailand.

But also Mrs G is a contractor for DoD and has a few more years until retirement and while as a contractor she has some flexibility, it's all a juggling act right now

My favorite from The Misfits (1961) Roslyn = Marilyn Monroe:

Roslyn : Well, what do you do with yourself?

Gay : Just live.

Roslyn : How does anyone "just live"?

Gay : Well, you start by going to sleep. You get up when you feel like it. You scratch yourself. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is; throw stones at a can, whistle.

One often reads on here the phrase "The best of both worlds".

As I see it, one may be living in both worlds but, given all the logistics that entails, I would question whether one actually gets the best of each world.

Unless you are like US Senator John McCain in 2008 when asked how many houses did he own and he said that he will have to get back to you on that.

Edited by jerrymahoney

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

One often reads on here the phrase "The best of both worlds".

As I see it, one may be living in both worlds but, given all the logistics that entails, I would question whether one actually gets the best of each world.

Don't have any issue with best of both worlds.

So we own our homes outright in the US and Thailand.

Now our neighbors in the US have a house in AZ and take off early November and return in May. 

It's exactly the same plan.

Yes if you plan right you can have your cake and eat it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now our neighbors in the US have a house in AZ and take off early November and return in May. 

SD and AZ is not the same a US and Thailand. You can get both worlds sure but I still do not see that one always gets "the best" of both worlds.

On 11/10/2022 at 11:16 AM, kingstonkid said:

Just wondering with all the.<deleted> going on in the rest of the world is it just me or does life here seem saner.

Depends on too many variables..

Depends on who you are with or not.

Where you are

What you are doing

and how much livable income do you have.

Sh!t can happen anywhere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Sh!t can happen anywhere.

Sure can -- I was on the collapsed Cypress Freeway in the 1989 earthquake TWICE that morning. Loma Prieta earthquake hit about 5 PM. 63 fatalities. Thousands injured.

1200px-Cypress_structure.jpeg

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Sure can -- I was on the collapsed Cypress Freeway in the 1989 earthquake TWICE that morning. Loma Prieta earthquake hit about 5 PM. 63 fatalities. Thousands injured.

1200px-Cypress_structure.jpeg

<deleted> I was driving from Fremont to Santa Rosa that day. I was through the Cypress Freeway 15 mins before the earthquake hit. Still Thank my lucky stars!

17 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I have have lived in Bangkok for almost three years now.  The only reason I came here to experience living overseas.  It was easy for me to get a yearly visa. I did not move here for financial reasons or health insurance reasons.  Income and insurance are not an issue for me. And I did not move here because I disliked my own country. 
Personally I don’t like living here. I can live a better life in the states.  I just don’t like the overall environment.  Without going into great detail. 
    Yes the West has many issues.  But so does Thailand.  And a persons life is based on what they have accomplished.  Not their country. When I was younger,  I didn’t have much money.  But I adjusted my life and improved myself.  My country didn’t stop me.  
I will be moving back to the states by the middle of next year. 

Not sure Bangkok is the place to experience 'living overseas', it's just another big city.

As for what people accomplish in their lives, it's usually nothing.

Personally, I can't think of anyone that's accomplished anything worthwhile in the past 80 years.

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So you still tip even if it's poor service? Strange thing to do, but I guess that's the US for you.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure Bangkok is the place to experience 'living overseas', it's just another big city.

As for what people accomplish in their lives, it's usually nothing.

Personally, I can't think of anyone that's accomplished anything worthwhile in the past 80 years.

At least that's something I can say that I did accomplish, having nursed thousands of patients during my time in that job. Know lots of other nurses too. Unless, of course, helping people get better isn't worthwhile.

I think farmers accomplish something, feeding people, and I know lots of them.

IMO those that accomplish the least are lawyers and politicians followed by bureaucrats. Even second hand car salesmen provide a service people need.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At least that's something I can say that I did accomplish, having nursed thousands of patients during my time in that job. Know lots of other nurses too. Unless, of course, helping people get better isn't worthwhile.

If anyone though nursing was an accomplishment, nurses would be better paid.

Same for farmers!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1