Homes are collapsing into the ocean in Florida. Here’s what’s behind the dangerous situation

Scott

Hurricane Images – Browse 137,844 Stock Photos, Vectors, and ...

Homes and buildings are collapsing into the ocean and authorities have issued warnings to evacuate some areas as Tropical Storm Nicole pushes a huge volume of ocean water onshore in southeast Florida.

Video from Volusia County shows homes crumbling, reduced to wreckage, as Nicole’s waves erode the coastline. Separate video shows the county’s beach safety office collapsing into the rising water.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/10/us/homes-collapse-nicole-sea-level-rise-climate/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

"And behind it all, sea level in this part of Florida has risen more than a foot in the past 100 years, according to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and most of that rise has occurred in the past three decades."

But none of those properties look 100 years old .....probably 10-15 years tops.

The conclusion being, nothing to do with sea level rise, and all to do with building on unsuitable land.

But interesting to see a government agency publishing trivial sea level rises despite all the alarmists. 1ft change in 100 years = not worth mentioning IMHO.

Quite right. Same as building a house among trees in a fire zone and complaining when it gets burnt, or building next to an airport and complaining about the noise.

Sometimes I wonder how people can be so stupid now when we know so much more than we did a hundred years ago.

If I were going to build on a waterfront property in an area regularly affected by hurricanes, I'd make sure it was behind a sea wall designed to withstand storms, just like an ex president has done with his waterfront property.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

"And behind it all, sea level in this part of Florida has risen more than a foot in the past 100 years, according to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and most of that rise has occurred in the past three decades."

The conclusion being, nothing to do with sea level rise, and all to do with building on unsuitable land.

But interesting to see a government agency publishing trivial sea level rises despite all the alarmists. 1ft change in 100 years = not worth mentioning IMHO.

Trivial, huh?

How sea level rise contributes to billions in extra damage during hurricanes

"A storm surge must rise to the base height of the city before it can flood large areas. But once the storm does cross that threshold, every inch of additional rise in water levels can flood large areas. And since just one inch of water in a 2,500-square-foot home can cause $27,000 in damage, and 12 inches can cause $72,000 in damage (according to FEMA), a few extra inches of storm surge can add up to a lot of damage in a hurry.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/10/how-sea-level-rise-contributes-to-billions-in-extra-damage-during-hurricanes/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Trivial, huh?

"A storm surge must rise to the base height of the city before it can flood large areas. But once the storm does cross that threshold, every inch of additional rise in water levels can flood large areas. And since just one inch of water in a 2,500-square-foot home can cause $27,000 in damage, and 12 inches can cause $72,000 in damage (according to FEMA), a few extra inches of storm surge can add up to a lot of damage in a hurry.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/10/how-sea-level-rise-contributes-to-billions-in-extra-damage-during-hurricanes/

Ah, so it's all climate changes fault, and nothing to do with people being stupid enough to build a house on a water front property that has no sea wall.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Purdey said:

One thing always surprises me in all highly religious countries. Wherever natural disaster strikes, not one single priest or pastor says it is God's punishment. Just curious. 

The angry God turns congregations off, so God is all about love now. They can't afford to lose any parishioners.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you are into reading, "Condominium" by John D. MacDonald is a fictional novel about the development of high-rises on transient land in the Florida Keys, and the aftermath of a hurricane. He wrote it more than 40 years ago.

"1ft change in 100 years = not worth mentioning IMHO."

You seem to have missed the statement "and most of that rise has occurred in the past three decades."

Give it another 50 years. Not that either of us will be around to see it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you are into reading, "Condominium" by John D. MacDonald is a fictional novel about the development of high-rises on transient land in the Florida Keys, and the aftermath of a hurricane. He wrote it more than 40 years ago.

"1ft change in 100 years = not worth mentioning IMHO."

You seem to have missed the statement "and most of that rise has occurred in the past three decades."

Give it another 50 years. Not that either of us will be around to see it.

One of my favorite authors with his Travis McGee series.   I do remember reading Condominium when it came out all those years ago.   And, here we go again.

10 minutes ago, newnative said:

One of my favorite authors with his Travis McGee series.   I do remember reading Condominium when it came out all those years ago.   And, here we go again.

IMO he did not get the credit he should have as a social commentator, albeit as works of fiction. IMO his book on organized religion and its corruptions, "One More Sunday" is one of his best.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The angry God turns congregations off, so God is all about love now. They can't afford to lose any parishioners.

Well, unlessbthosebtheybwishnto condemn are affected … then it is god’s punishment.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IMO he did not get the credit he should have as a social commentator, albeit as works of fiction. IMO his book on organized religion and its corruptions, "One More Sunday" is one of his best.

I missed that one.  I'll have to check it out!  Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What's behind the situation ... that's easy ...

... stupidity

True, but let's not discount the stupidity of Florida's government.  It uses taxpayer money to find ways to subsidize insurance for the fools, rich and poor alike, who buy or build in the high risk storm surge areas. 

If Florida's government stopped interfering and allowed insurance companies to charge rates the reflect the risk of the area, development in the high risk areas would go down. 

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, so it's all climate changes fault, and nothing to do with people being stupid enough to build a house on a water front property that has no sea wall.

Well, the unusually high storm surges are made much worse by Climate Change.  As for people being stupid for building too close to the sea, that's on the government which issues building permits.  Oh, and that's a certain political party that does that.  The same with the flooding in Texas and a large area that is very low and should have houses, but they allowed people to rebuild.   

Meanwhile, Miami is raising it's roads by 2 feet in an effort to combat rising seas -- I have no idea why if it isn't really happening.

https://www.miamirealestateguy.com/miami-beach-to-raise-west-avenue-1-to-2-feet-to-combat-rising-sea/  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

One foot is alot when it comes to a storm surge. It can cause many billions in damage, as we have also seen in NYC recently. And the one foot figure is very conservative. Climate change is very real. And we are the culprits. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, placeholder said:

Trivial, huh?

Thank goodness this could never happen in Bangkok.......

• Haha 2

I am confused. I thought that climate change could be the planet warming itself up.

After all volcanoes do not cool the planet down, and it seems that there have been many volcanoes around the world recently. How about forest fires caused by lightening as well as other causes. Smoke from forest fires cannot be cooling the planet down much either. I still like Global warming as a phrase.

45 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

I am confused. I thought that climate change could be the planet warming itself up.

After all volcanoes do not cool the planet down, and it seems that there have been many volcanoes around the world recently. How about forest fires caused by lightening as well as other causes. Smoke from forest fires cannot be cooling the planet down much either. I still like Global warming as a phrase.

You are correct:  You are confused.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Thank goodness this could never happen in Bangkok.......

I wasn't aware that Bangkok is beside the seaside, LOL.

Bangkok is sinking as too much water is pumped out from under it. Not much to do with C C IMO.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

"It's all a hoax started by the radical-left Communists in the Democrat party like Al Gore!"

And it will remain so until the geo-location of Mar-a-Lago is fully submerged.  Then it will be because of a DeSantis screw up.

image.png.b676bbf599f1a0b97a39554ece17dbcc.png

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stargeezr said:

If I believed that the planet is like an organism and is capable of removing parasites that are destroying it, I might believe that the planet Earth is acting to remove humanity which is destroying it with overpopulation and pollution.

Oh wait- I do believe that.

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Quite right. Same as building a house among trees in a fire zone and complaining when it gets burnt, or building next to an airport and complaining about the noise.

Sometimes I wonder how people can be so stupid now when we know so much more than we did a hundred years ago.

Spot on...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Any signs that your house is going to flooded by "rising sea levels"? 55555555555555

You know the truism lawyers cite that you shouldn't ask questions you don't know the answer to?

High Tide Flooding

400 to 1,100% Increase

The U.S. Southeast Atlantic and Gulf Coast regions saw an increase of over 400 to 1,100 percent, respectively, in high tide flooding days compared to the year 2000.

Assessed over several decades, the national trend in high tide flooding frequency is accelerating, and is more than twice as likely now as it was in 2000. The rapid growth is in response to relative sea level rise, which is occurring along most U.S. coastlines. 

https://coast.noaa.gov/states/fast-facts/recurrent-tidal-flooding.html

• Like 1