Fine for No Driving License

Joeski

On 11/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Speaking Thai does not solve that problem.

My friend speaks, reads and writes pretty fluent Thai.

He was stopped two days in a row by the same policeman for riding his bike with no helmet.

The first day his excuse was that he was just going to the shop to buy one. Fail!

The second day,  the cop said 'you were going to buy a helmet'.

My friend replied 'I was but you took my money'. Cop laughed and fined him again. This was all in Thai.

The cop had a sense of humour then.

I was charged 1000 baht twice. Just get the license, it's easy if you just show your own country's license. You take a simple in office test and it's cheap. Go online and search the requirements and rules. you go to the dept of transportation nearest you. In the meantime minimize your travel, be careful as to where, and  wear your helmet so as not to attract attention. 

I've been pulled over enough here to know if you tell them you speak no Thai at all when they try to fine you. you would be amazed how quickly they remember they know English. if they cant speak any English they usually wont pull you over. I can speak limited Thai and have Thai drivers license

On 11/12/2022 at 2:02 PM, jvs said:

Oh no,i don't have an Australian license!

What can i do?

You must not live in Thailand but are telling everyone who does live here

what to do?

Give it a rest.

If you live here, and have the necessary visa or work permit you are required to have a Thai driving license. You can use an IDP if you are on holidays or short term visa. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steven mason said:

I've been pulled over enough here to know if you tell them you speak no Thai at all when they try to fine you. you would be amazed how quickly they remember they know English. if they cant speak any English they usually wont pull you over. I can speak limited Thai and have Thai drivers license

When they pull me over i speak in a dialect not many people even in my country speak.

Usually they flap their ears and wave me on.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:42 AM, FriendlyFarang said:

There is no such rule/law.

It’s not my opinion, it’s a fact, because it’s written in section 42 of the law:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%C301/%C301-20-9999-update.pdf

To use an IDP you must also hold a valid driving license from your home country. The 90  period is the time most have to wait while their wp or long term visa is being processed, thus holiday'ers and  short term visa holders can benefit and utilize the IDP (with valid home country license). Once you obtain your WP or LTV you must get a Thai license. The IDP is not allowed.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, home license in English suffices.

It should, but doesn't.

My brother was fined for no license, but he has a valid uk bike license; they specifically asked to see the IDP.

Trying to argue the agreed terms of the convention with a phuket traffic cop won't get you anywhere fast.....

It was a ticketed fine, paid at Patong police station, 1000b.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

It most certainly does not.  Some police officers may accept it - one even accepted my passport but try making an insurance claim without an IDP.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:
21 hours ago, stevenl said:

It most certainly does not.  Some police officers may accept it - one even accepted my passport but try making an insurance claim without an IDP.

Mileage may actually vary... 

My first accident in Thailand (20 years ago) - Only a UK driving licence (No IDP), no issues.

The BiB looked at my UK driving licence, the Insurance didn’t.

Second Accident in Thailand (about 10 years ago) - Thai Licence, BiB not involved. Insurance just took a glance at my licence, that was it. 

Wife’s accident (6 years ago), no BiB, insurance didn’t check her licence at all (she’d left it at home). 

------

But, all of that aside...   This has gone round in circles enough. 

A UK license is sufficient without an IDP.

Theoretically, if on a resident Visa (the driver needs a Thai Licence). 

Again... mileage may vary, but in my experience (and that of friends with whom these things have been discussed) insurance in Thailand tends not to be too concerned as to whether the driver has a licence or not !!!...

On 12/9/2022 at 7:47 PM, FriendlyFarang said:
On 12/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, kennw said:

Once you obtain your WP or LTV you must get a Thai license. The IDP is not allowed. 

That’s wrong. Or can you quote the section of the law which says so?

Nope, you [FriendlyFarang] are wrong....  Kennw is quite correct.... 

Those on resident visa’s must have a Thai Licence ( a resident visa is considered a Non-Imm B of any type or / and an extension of ). 

7 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:
9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Those on resident visa’s must have a Thai Licence ( a resident visa is considered a Non-Imm B of any type or / and an extension of ). 

Can you quote the law which says so, or did you just make this up?

Do some research....   

https://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/

https://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

And this trip advisor contribution provides good information although is not a direct quote of the law - it is accurate. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

Edited by richard_smith237

22 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

It should, but doesn't.

My brother was fined for no license, but he has a valid uk bike license; they specifically asked to see the IDP.

Trying to argue the agreed terms of the convention with a phuket traffic cop won't get you anywhere fast.....

It was a ticketed fine, paid at Patong police station, 1000b.

21 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Legally it is sufficient.

What kind of insurance claim? For any insurance claim you need to check the policy conditions. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is no such section in the laws wich you linked to, so you obviously just made it up. Are you just trolling?

5 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

There is no such section in the laws wich you linked to, so you obviously just made it up. Are you just trolling?

Even when spoon fed you can’t find out for yourself... 

.. Section 42-2 of the Motor Vehicle Act. 

This explains it.....  https://tdl-service.com/what-type-of-drivers-license-do-i-need-to-drive-in-thailand/

Edited by richard_smith237

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Even when spoon fed you can’t find out for yourself... 

.. Section 42-2 of the Motor Vehicle Act. 

This explains it.....  https://tdl-service.com/what-type-of-drivers-license-do-i-need-to-drive-in-thailand/

The explanation on this website is wrong.

The law, which you posted yourself is clear though, you just have to read it:

Section 42 bis.46 In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied.

It clearly says that an alien who is temporarily permitted to stay in Thailand may use his foreign driving license.

You got a tourist or non-immigrant visa or a one year extension? Then you are "temporarily permitted to stay in Thailand" and may use your foreign driving license.

You have permanent residency status and may stay in Thailand forever without having to apply for extensions? Then you may not use your foreign driving license.

Where does this section say what you claims it says? Please highlight it or stop trolling.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

What kind of insurance claim? For any insurance claim you need to check the policy conditions. 

My bike insurance states that I must hold a licence to ride a bike - the ThaI wording says something like 'legally riding a motorcycle with the correct documentation' - possibly deliberately vague.

Believe me, Thai insurers wriggle more than others - I've had recent experience. If they can get out of paying in any way - they will.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

It clearly says that an alien who is temporarily permitted to stay in Thailand may use his foreign driving license.

You got a tourist or non-immigrant visa or a one year extension? Then you are "temporarily permitted to stay in Thailand" and may use your foreign driving license.

You have permanent residency status and may stay in Thailand forever without having to apply for extensions? Then you may not use your foreign driving license.

Where does this section say what you claims it says? Please highlight it or stop trolling.

Thats your interpretation of what is meant by a ‘temporary visa’... 

A tourist visa is a temporary visa, as is a visa exempt entry. 

A Non-Immigrant visa falls under the ‘resident’ classification of visa not a temporary classification of visa.

It is my understanding that those with Non-Immigrant Visa’s should be driving in Thailand under a Thai Passport... but you can believe what you want to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

I guess most of them are wrong according to you... 

16 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

A non-immigrant visa is not a temporary classification of visa in Thailand, it establishes you as a ‘resident’ (not to be mixed up with permanent residence - which is also different).

Of course you are free to continue interpreting any of this any which way you feel like...   there is plenty of information out there to agree with or disagree with.

The sensible advice is always get a Thai Licence if here for any duration other than a short term tourist.

No further discussion with you from me in this matter....  You’re just going to throw out the ’trolling accusation’ at anything you disagree with you... (you don’t even know what trolling is). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

My bike insurance states that I must hold a licence to ride a bike - the ThaI wording says something like 'legally riding a motorcycle with the correct documentation' - possibly deliberately vague.

Believe me, Thai insurers wriggle more than others - I've had recent experience. If they can get out of paying in any way - they will.

Yes, legally. With a valid, English language you will be driving legally.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats your interpretation of what is meant by a ‘temporary visa’... 

That's not "my" interpretation, that is what the immigration act says: https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

You apply for extension every year, do TM30 and 90 day reports? Only aliens who are temporarily permitted to stay have to do these things. In this case you may also use a foreign driving license.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A non-immigrant visa is not a temporary classification of visa in Thailand, it establishes you as a ‘resident’ (not to be mixed up with permanent residence - which is also different).

That's not what the immigration act says, you just made this up again.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

On 11/12/2022 at 7:12 AM, Joeski said:

I forgot my international driving license and got pulled up the roadside and got fined 1000 baht. I plan on getting a Thai License, until I get the Thai License is there anything I can do to avoid the 1000 baht fine.

That is 5 more then the official fine for a resident. In fact the talk in Issan is that if points deduction does come in -it will be better just to say you do not have a license when stopped and pay the 200 Baht.

If you are to live here Joeski, then print out in Thai what the fines are for the next time your stopped. Carry a copy

Traffic violations Fine
Driving without a license 200฿(official)          500฿-1,000  ฿(tourist)
Illegally stopping in restricted areas 300฿
Using an unroadworthy vehicle 400฿
Failing to stop for an emergency vehicle 400฿

24 more rows

• Like 1