Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

Just now, jak2002003 said:

You don't care about poor people freezing to death as they can't afford to heat their house.  Wow. Seems rather cold hearted. 

Stop right there .

Who is "freezing to death" ?

Has anyone in the UK actually "frozen to death" (whilst sitting at home watching television) or are you adding a non existent scenario ?

47 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You don't care about poor people freezing to death as they can't afford to heat their house.  Wow. Seems rather cold hearted. 

Me "cold hearted" ?

That could be because I AM one of those people who are "freezing to death" in a unheated UK house , well I would be freezing to death if I didn't put more clothes on .

Just had two weeks of below zero temperatures outside and even though my gas company have given me 800 Pounds worth of free credit , I didn't use the heating and just put warmer clothes on .

No doubt the people who are complaining  about it being too cold were also complaining about it being too hot last summer

31 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Me "cold hearted" ?

That could be because I AM one of those people who are "freezing to death" in a unheated UK house , well I would be freezing to death if I didn't put more clothes on .

Just had two weeks of below zero temperatures outside and even though my gas company have given me 800 Pounds worth of free credit , I didn't use the heating and just put warmer clothes on .

No doubt the people who are complaining  about it being too cold were also complaining about it being too hot last summer

So you say…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Me "cold hearted" ?

Just checking my online gas bill and its current status and bearing in mind I haven't paid a gas bill at all in 2022 for all you doubters 

Your account balance

£783.93 In credit

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just checking my online gas bill and its current status and bearing in mind I haven't paid a gas bill at all in 2022 for all you doubters 

Your account balance

£783.93 In credit

A: that is not proof. 

B: this thread is not about you and your alleged anecdotes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

A lot of people.....mosrly elderly, and unfants and children get ill and health problems form cold and damp.  Do some research perhaps?  

How can you have no sympathy for children and other people suffering in the cold?  

"Damp" is a different issue to just being cold though and being cold doesn't make you ill , although damp is an issue caused by either structural problems or house ventilation issues , damp issues can be addressed separately by either fixing the structural issues or taking other measures to stop damp occurring 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Stop right there .

Who is "freezing to death" ?

Has anyone in the UK actually "frozen to death" (whilst sitting at home watching television) or are you adding a non existent scenario ?

Complaining about adding non existent scenario from the guy who introduced a 50 room mansion to the discussion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

A lot of people.....mosrly elderly, and unfants and children get ill and health problems form cold and damp.  Do some research perhaps?  

How can you have no sympathy for children and other people suffering in the cold?  

Cold probably never killed anyone unless they couldn't dress for it. I suspect they are no worse off than we were when I was a child and it was generally colder back then. I haven't seen a frost like was normal then for many years.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Cold probably never killed anyone unless they couldn't dress for it. I suspect they are no worse off than we were when I was a child and it was generally colder back then. I haven't seen a frost like was normal then for many years.

I find that I usually feel "under the weather " (unwell) when I have fluctuating temperatures (same in Thailand in air conditioned rooms) when I go from hot/cold inside a room to cold/hot outside the room . 

I seem to end up with a sniffle and a runny nose and feel the temperature change and it feels even hotter/colder when going outside .

I don't put heating/aircon on and thus don't have temperature changes and don't get ill .

7 degrees now and I go outside wearing shorts and flip flops and it doesnt seem cold at all . 

Had I had my heating on full blast , I would have had to wrapped up warm when going out and would have had a runny nose ,

Just need to acclimatise and adapt to the outside temperature , same as I do when its 40 degrees in Thailand 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I find that I usually feel "under the weather " (unwell) when I have fluctuating temperatures (same in Thailand in air conditioned rooms) when I go from hot/cold inside a room to cold/hot outside the room . 

I seem to end up with a sniffle and a runny nose and feel the temperature change and it feels even hotter/colder when going outside .

I don't put heating/aircon on and thus don't have temperature changes and don't get ill .

7 degrees now and I go outside wearing shorts and flip flops and it doesnt seem cold at all . 

Had I had my heating on full blast , I would have had to wrapped up warm when going out and would have had a runny nose ,

Just need to acclimatise and adapt to the outside temperature , same as I do when its 40 degrees in Thailand 

Good grief…

• Like 1

21 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I agree.

We've not had the heating on in the 2 years we've live in our current flat as we've never felt too cold.

Our energy direct debit is £67 a month. We are currently £208 in credit. Add to that the £66 a month we've been receiving as support, our energy bills are next to nothing. 

Yes, I am trying to work out whether there's a bigger picture going on , like the Government keep telling people to keep their house warm , gas and electric prices have been raised and the Government are sending us money to pay for it .

I'd heard of the 'Big Mac' index but must confess that I was unaware of this additional 'Mac' index, which measures the relative warmth of the UK population.

Edited by RayC
Extra word deleted
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RayC said:

I'd heard of the 'Big Mac' index but must confess that I was unaware of this additional 'Mac' index, which measures the relative warmth of the UK population.

Given the quality of the governments performance, I'd say they were relying on it to make policy decisions.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although we aren't talking about the old or Children , we are talking about people who aren't old or Children and I personally donated the equivalent of my winters gas bill to poorer people and I sit in the cold with warm clothes on .

Since when we’re we excluding the old, children from this discussion?

Oh… got it… since the impact of poverty and cold on the old and in children sank your arguments.

• Like 2

*Deleted post edited out*

Things that effect me in the UK and my experiences also effect many other people in the UK and they share similar experiences . I am quite sure that my local supermarket wasn't the only supermarket in the UK was rammed packed before Christmas and that I am not the only person in the UK who has been giving credit by my gas company .

Things that effect me also effect everyone else in the UK.

If you were to accept and believe everything some posters living in Thailand say, you would think everyone in the UK gets their food from foodbanks and people are  freezing to death at home because they cannot afford to heat their homes .

Edited by metisdead