Bank of Thailand moves against cash and the US dollar in a plan to reduce cash in half by 2026

webfact

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Banks charge the retailer when they accept digital transactions. This cost is passed on to the consumer.

All banks' costs are passed on to the customer.

Cash is a far more expensive commodity to 'handle' than 'cashless'.................................. hence the encouragement away from cash.

Dual pricing is a likely consequence............ because that is not popular, it is more likely that increased transaction costs charged by the banks to retailers will be passed on to customers en bloc ie everyone shares the cost to avoid dual pricing.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I pay an annual charge for my ATM card and am subjected to charges if I use it outside of my region. Not 'absolutely no cost' really. 

Which bank do you use?  I don't pay anything for my ATM card unless I lose it and need a new one (then I think it is 100 baht).  I also don't pay anything for using it outside my "region".  If I use it overseas to withdraw cash there is a fee but this is the same the world over. 

If I use my ATM for a pay wave transaction anywhere in the world there is no fee. If I pay using it as a debit card there is no fee.  So it is actually cheaper for me to be cashless and it costs me more to use cash. If I go to Singapore (once a month) or the UK (once a year) I only use my Thai ATM card to touch and go and don't use cash at all and this includes public transport.  And it costs nothing.  Thailand is going the same way and it is great. My only annoyance is that pay wave isn't common here although most terminals are built to accept it and our ATM and credit cards are built to use it - they still insert your card and make you type your PIN which takes longer than a simple tap and go would.

Are you banking in the 1990s?

And seriously, who wants to be handling filthy notes which are covered in germs?

Well it appears they are moving against the dollar rapidly, this morning the rates are over 2.25 Baht less per USD than they were about 4 weeks ago......Can anyone say market manipulation.  Just watched the news on TNN, and the business section claims that with the masses arriving for holidays they will see over 15 million this year.  If as they say they are expecting almost 5 million in December that would make next year a banner year for tourism at almost 50 million visitors, I think they are messing with the system so that the Thai's with money have happy holidays elsewhere.  Lots of Chinese at Icon Siam last night, saw at least 10 buses parked on the side.

Two days ago the rate was at 36.45 Thb per USD, and I transferred another 50K to beef up my accounts and for doing some additions on my house.

image.png.a918ff436597b7ed786cef6eeb0e463c.png

Edited by ThailandRyan

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Which bank do you use?  I don't pay anything for my ATM card unless I lose it and need a new one (then I think it is 100 baht).  I also don't pay anything for using it outside my "region".  If I use it overseas to withdraw cash there is a fee but this is the same the world over. 

Bangkok Bank... I recently got a warning SMS that 200 baht annual charge relating to my debit card will be taken soon,

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Bangkok Bank... I recently got a warning SMS that 200 baht annual charge relating to my debit card will be taken soon,

I use Bangkok Bank and I'm pretty sure I don't get that unless I just don't remember (possible).

Still, 16 baht a month is virtually nothing.

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I use Bangkok Bank and I'm pretty sure I don't get that unless I just don't remember (possible).

Still, 16 baht a month is virtually nothing.

Oh heck, it is not a problem. So many things like transfers and payments are free and easy to do. No real complaints about the Bank except the service in the Branches is slow, and your time is of no consequence. 

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

If I use my ATM for a pay wave transaction anywhere in the world there is no fee. If I pay using it as a debit card there is no fee.  So it is actually cheaper for me to be cashless and it costs me more to use cash. If I go to Singapore (once a month) or the UK (once a year) I only use my Thai ATM card to touch and go and don't use cash at all and this includes public transport.  And it costs nothing.  Thailand is going the same way and it is great. My only annoyance is that pay wave isn't common here although most terminals are built to accept it and our ATM and credit cards are built to use it - they still insert your card and make you type your PIN which takes longer than a simple tap and go would.

Are you banking in the 1990s?

And seriously, who wants to be handling filthy notes which are covered in germs?

Oh Oh!

There's that "filthy lucre" angle again????????