This is football, my American friends, prepare for a lesson in the Beautiful Game

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS JOMTIEN

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

One man epitomized the Beautiful Game last night with his second telling contribution in Brazil's 2-0 defeat of Serbia. 

Richarlison.

So good they named him once.

He may have got himself a little off balance but the swivel and overhead kick were sublime.

With skill like that he could find himself in Golden Boot territory especially as Brazil are likely to make the final. 

Seven games to fill your boots.

image.jpeg

Also eyeing a second consecutive World Cup Golden Boot is England's Harry Kane who was passed fit to play for the Three Lions against USA tonight (2am Thai time). 

I'm expecting England not only to beat our American cousins comfortably but do it in a style befitting of our status as inventors of the game.

For, my dear friends across yonder pond, this is football where only two players can pick the ball up and it's round. 

I'm sure your football game is wonderful and let's face it there's more than enough time between plays to get a hotdog but....

It's not football and it never will be the world's most popular game even if you start calling the Superbowl the "World Series".

image.jpeg

"We beat you 1-0 in 1950 in the biggest World Cup finals shock in history" I hear you mutter.

Ah yes, but we didn't take that event seriously at the time because we knew we were the best footballing nation on the planet and there was absolutely no need to prove it.

This was confirmed in 1966.

Admittedly things have not gone all to plan since then. No big trophy wins for the men's team and for decades the "English inventors" have been given lessons on how to play from most corners of the earth.

But still...

In other games last night Uruguay and South Korea played out an entertaining 0-0 draw.

Earlier Embolo who was born in Cameroon but plays for Switzerland helped the latter with the goal in a 1-0 victory.

The third of last night's matches set the stage for Cristiano Ronaldo that resulted in a 3-2 win for Portugal against Ghana.

Ronaldo became the first man to score at five FIFA World Cups.

He may have been a little cheeky in how he won the penalty but it was fired home with aplomb to trigger a "Siu" celebration from player and crowd. 

A true legend of the game.

Tonight's action continues to follow the 5pm - 8pm - 11pm - 2am Thai time schedule.

Group B

Wales vs Iran 5pm 

Group A

Qatar vs Senegal 8pm

Netherlands vs Ecuador 11pm

Group B

England vs USA 2am

These are the second games in Groups A and B.

Wales will be looking to consolidate their point against the USA with victory over Iran. 

I expect Iran to bounce back and deny any singing in the valleys or.....

In Tenerife....an interesting snippet gleaned from the BBC was that Welsh supporters had descended on the Spanish holiday island in droves to watch the footy.

There were 2,500 of them after a woman started a small party that just grew and grew via internet advertising.

Many cited the prohibitive cost of a trip to Qatar and opted for bars in Tenerife in a huge fanzone. 

Fair play to the Weslsh who are in large numbers in Qatar also.

I expect a hatful of goals from Senegal against the hapless hosts in the second mismatch.... er I mean match.

Not having Mane will make little difference and at least 5-0 is expected. 

The Netherlands should also have far too much for Ecuador. The men in orange are Rooster's pick to go all the way.

England round off proceedings against the USA at 2am.

When those of us guilty of brazen, unfounded bravado will likely get our comeuppance with a slathering of US relish. 

Set alarms where necessary and stay tuned to the 2022 World Cup.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-25

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Englanders are favored to win this match! No surprise! Ill be watching !

It was a rather one sided match Brazil dominated .

Wales was lucky to have a  tie with the Usa  ! It was determined by a controversial foul which resulted in a penalty shot!

No worries about soccer and football . Keep politics out of sports !

Yawn ????.....

Sorry - having played both in various leagues, I never really found myself enamored by soccer....For watching or playing....

I do wished I'd would have had a shot at rugby or hockey, but they weren't around at the time.....

In a secret meeting of the illuminati, just after the US Revolutionary War, it was decided that the new nation of the United States should not become a world football superpower. Instead, it was to be gifted the sports of American football, Basketball, and Baseball, which would attract its best athletes thereby ensuring they could not compete at the international level. Along with the insistence that the US should use the term soccer when referring to world football, to further distanced itself, this decision has worked out well for the football world, despite a small hiccup in 1950.  I thought this was well understood.

Edited by Silencer
  • Haha 2

A Brit told me they call “Football” Soccer….  I do enjoy the matches and don’t think we’ve got a chance 

at 02:00 Thai time against the UK…. isn’t Kane close to retirement….. 

Now the boys down under have Rugby and that’s great fun to watch… .. and the Ozzie seem to cherish when All Blacks come to town… Kiwis

ok everyone enjoy the games … watching can get addictive… 

Snoozer ???? last night, as are many games in . 0-0. Woke up for the last 15 mins of the 1st and all of the 2nd half. BORING. Should have remained in Dreamland. That said, will prob do the same again for Iran vs USA. Hope USA spanks 'em

And what's with USA's latest time slot every game⁉️ :post-4641-1156694572:

13 hours ago, nitehawk42 said:

May I remind you that the Super Bowl in the USA is the worlds largest viewing audience than any other sporting event.

Ya'll remember 1776?

I watch American football every week through NFL international-catch 5 or 6 games a week, more if on holidays-and do love the playoffs but to claim the super bowl has a larger audience than the Football World Cup Final is wrong.

1776-was that the last time an American Football footballer used their foot to control the ball...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I watch American football every week through NFL international-catch 5 or 6 games a week, more if on holidays-and do love the playoffs but to claim the super bowl has a larger audience than the Football World Cup Final is wrong.

1776-was that the last time an American Football footballer used their foot to control the ball...

Next thing you know, you'll be making claim that just because only one player uses his feet in an American football game, it should be called something else. If you ask me, because the goalie is allowed to use his hands, the rest of the world should change the name of their preeminent sport to handball.

• Like 1