This is football, my American friends, prepare for a lesson in the Beautiful Game

webfact

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Next thing you know, you'll be making claim that just because only one player uses his feet in an American football game, it should be called something else. If you ask me, because the goalie is allowed to use his hands, the rest of the world should change the name of their preeminent sport to handball.

Why would I claim that? 

I’ve played and competed in three different codes of football (Associate, Rugby Union and Gaelic). All are called football despite different rules on use of foot amongst a myriad of other differences. 

Unfortunately by time I discovered the joys of American football I was already at an age and stage of physical development that negated taking part. 

Shame really, it’s a code I would have loved to played in. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

So goes the beauty of "the beautiful game". Lulls ya to sleep, then lures ya right back in for another snooze fest. I love The World Cup, both men's and women's, but in many of those many nil-nil thrillers....watching paint dry comes to mind. Makes even Baseball seem exciting! ????????????

:cheesy:

There's a glimmer of hope there but .....????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

just knew that the English had lost. But no. It was another one of those boring ties. Best part about this? English are butthurt and Americans don't even care.

The English are quite happy with the result, England just need to avoid a big defeat in the last game to progress through to the next stage 

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The English are quite happy with the result, England just need to avoid a big defeat in the last game to progress through to the next stage 

555/lol rationalization is never a healthy thing....

The Settlefor's strike again....

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I think I finally figured out why hooliganism and violence amongst fans is so prevalent in soccer. There is jack all happening on the field so the punters have to do SOMETHING to a/ keep warm and b/ keep awake.  If I knew there was a 50/50 chance of paying good money and seeing an entire sporting event happen with zero scoring I'd want to riot too.

How do you keep warm at an ice hockey match? Doesn't turning on the heating melt the pitch? Does ice hockey turn into water polo after a while?????????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Someone really needs to win in these little soccer games.  Ever watch 18 innings of baseball? Someone just gotta win. 

Draws can often be very exciting as everyone knows just one goal will decide it. It's the quality of play that determines the entertainment value of a game and the beauty of football is all you need is a ball. No need to put on helmets or shoulder pads.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, heybruce said:

Players rolling on the ground faking injury then getting up unhurt, players kicking the ball out of play in such an obvious manner even an American can see it then pretending they didn't do it....

Yeah, European football is a hoot!

Watched the Cowboys-Giants Thanksgiving Day game. That was entertaining. Soccer is such a soft sport in comparison. Take the best players from either the US or England teams, put them in an NFL game, and no way they make it to the end without ending up in the ICU.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Let's get real:  Comparing American football to European football is like comparing tennis to basketball.  The sports are so different any comparisons are ludicrous.

It's a matter of comparing the athletes. You could take NFL, NBA, or NHL players and have them square off against the best in soccer and probably still see a score not too far out of the realm of reason. Put soccer players up against even the worst of those other games and you would have unimpeded scoring just about every play, drive, or rush.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2022 at 12:38 PM, Hanaguma said:

The following words do NOT belong in the same sentence;

"an entertaining 0-0 draw"

A sport with these kinds of antics needs to be mocked and derided:

This sport is so boring its almost painful. Watching a 90 minute game with no score should be a crime. Watching paint peel off of a wall is more exciting.

59 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It's a matter of comparing the athletes. You could take NFL, NBA, or NHL players and have them square off against the best in soccer and probably still see a score not too far out of the realm of reason. Put soccer players up against even the worst of those other games and you would have unimpeded scoring just about every play, drive, or rush.

It would be interesting to watch and I would say you would be correct in your conclusion of the outcome. I don’t personally think that it’s down to the athletes if you are referring to athleticism, more that US football has a lot of common elements with Soccer in terms of running, passing, kicking whereas there are elements in the US game that are totally alien to the game of soccer. Just starting with the dressing up in fancy gear would be enough to totally disable any level of competence in a soccer player.

John Harkes was a terrific player.

https://www.eurosport.com/football/usa-footballers-who-have-played-in-englands-top-flight_sto7071606/story.shtml

22 hours ago, John Drake said:

There are a lot of crossover athletes in the US, even at the professional level. Bo Jackson did NFL and MLB. Michael Jordan going from basketball to football. The Dallas Cowboys made all stars out of Bob Hayes coming from track and Cornell Green from basketball, while Ed Too Tall Jones went into boxing. I don't follow soccer enough to know if its players crossover into other sports. The only exception I remember is soccer players becoming placekickers in the NFL back in the late 60s and early 70s, such as Toni Fritsch and, I think, Jan Stenerud.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2022 at 12:55 PM, John Drake said:

Watched the Cowboys-Giants Thanksgiving Day game. That was entertaining. Soccer is such a soft sport in comparison. Take the best players from either the US or England teams, put them in an NFL game, and no way they make it to the end without ending up in the ICU.

And maybe chronic encephalopathy too! Some sports are for the mentally defective and other sports create them.

Edited by placeholder

On 11/27/2022 at 4:15 AM, RayC said:

How do you keep warm at an ice hockey match? Doesn't turning on the heating melt the pitch? Does ice hockey turn into water polo after a while?????????

Don't need to because we are dedicated and loyal fans. Willing to risk a chilly bum to support our guys. 

Also alcohol helps. Brandy or bourbon in hot chocolate is a gift from the Gods. 

8 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Don't need to because we are dedicated and loyal fans. Willing to risk a chilly bum to support our guys. 

Also alcohol helps. Brandy or bourbon in hot chocolate is a gift from the Gods. 

I can't understand the need for alcohol at ice hockey? The warming effect is superficial and doesn't last.

If the aim is to numb the brain, surely watching the match itself does that more effectively?

11 minutes ago, RayC said:

I can't understand the need for alcohol at ice hockey? The warming effect is superficial and doesn't last.

If the aim is to numb the brain, surely watching the match itself does that more effectively?

Nah, we are happy drunks. Not like the tossers who infest soccer games. Plus we have warm hearts. Watch this- a great charitable tradition in many hockey rinks around North America;