Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac singer-songwriter, dies aged 79

webfact

image.jpeg
From Don't Stop to Songbird - a look back at Christine McVie's career

By Robert Greenall & George Bowden
BBC News

Christine McVie, who played with Fleetwood Mac and wrote some of their most famous songs, has died aged 79, her family has said.

The British singer-songwriter was behind hits including Little Lies, Everywhere, Don't Stop, Say You Love Me, and Songbird.

She died peacefully at a hospital in the company of her family, a statement said.

McVie left Fleetwood Mac after 28 years in 1998 but returned in 2014.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63812952

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2022-12-01

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

RiP

She was before she started in Fleetwood Mac a member of Chicken Shack

Yes, and although I knew very little about the band, "Chicken Shack" I heard Christine Perfect singing the song, "I'd Rather Go Blind" and thought what a lovely voice she had, and was a great fan of hers right through her Fleetwood Mac days.

I did have a lovely CD, which I lent to somebody and never got back, which was a concert shot in LA (I think) and which had the marching band come on at the end, playing the Tusk melody – – and Christine sang "Songbird" in that and she was a very talented, all-round musician.

So sad to hear of her demise and I had no idea that she was 79 years old.

PS. Anyone know where I can find that particular CD???

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

RiP

She was before she started in Fleetwood Mac a member of Chicken Shack

Despite seeing dozens of bands in the early 70s I never saw Fleetwood Mac in any of their lineups but I did see Chicken Shack. Unfortunately that was after she left and I think t was a 3 piece then.

RIP

Thanks for the music - most of my o level revision consisted of playing my zx spectrum, red Leb and Fleetwood Mac albums.

Can you imagine being unforunate enough to live in an age whereupon ultimate demise, a talented individual who lived a noteworthy and extraordinary life  gets relegated to the bottom of a newsfeed, just above a communist human rights abuser, and superseded by news of an over priced prawn fried rice on tiktok ?

RIP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kimamey said:

Despite seeing dozens of bands in the early 70s I never saw Fleetwood Mac in any of their lineups but I did see Chicken Shack. Unfortunately that was after she left and I think t was a 3 piece then.

RIP

I actually had tickets to see them at Wembley but was working at the Wimbledon tennis which made going impractical. Regretted it ever since.

• Like 1

The lyrics to many of Christine's songs look overly simple and syrupy on paper, but when set to music and with the addition of her lovely singing voice, they have a poignancy.

Confession time: As a teenager in my part of London in 1977, it wasn't "cool" to admit to liking 'Rumours' among my peer group. However, I'm pretty sure that most of us had a copy of it hidden away at the time.

RIP, Christine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes, and although I knew very little about the band, "Chicken Shack" I heard Christine Perfect singing the song, "I'd Rather Go Blind" and thought what a lovely voice she had, and was a great fan of hers right through her Fleetwood Mac days.

I did have a lovely CD, which I lent to somebody and never got back, which was a concert shot in LA (I think) and which had the marching band come on at the end, playing the Tusk melody – – and Christine sang "Songbird" in that and she was a very talented, all-round musician.

So sad to hear of her demise and I had no idea that she was 79 years old.

PS. Anyone know where I can find that particular CD???

I think you're referring to The Dance concert DVD from 1997. The CD release did not have Songbird on it.

Fleetwood_Mac_-_The_Dance.jpg

• Thanks 1

1982 at the Centrum , to a sold out

crowd “Dont stop believing” and the drums , boom boom boom boom ,base sounds bouncing off my chest!

1972 Fleetwood Mc,Umass Amherst outside venue , amongst thousands of space cadets! 

Rip

Edited by riclag