EV Charging Stations (CS)

KhunLA

4 hours ago, Brightonman said:

Now Rever are offering free charging we would like to take a road trip or two. 

Do you have "details" on this program which started appearing in newspapers yesterday & today?   Maybe a weblink to the details...how to signup for the free chraging, etc.?   This morning I messaged my dealership customer service "and" Rever asking about it....so far as of mid day no answer.   And I didnt' see any info about in on the Rever webiste.

What little I know is I'm assuming the free charging will be via the ReverSharger charger network/app.  And if they are going to offer free charging via this charging network they would need to provide some type of credit or something on their app maybe by providing some kind of activation code or something.  I fully expect a person will need to registered/apply for the free charging to prove you are a old BYD customer.

And yea, the Rever apps didn't accept my Bangkok Bank debit card either....but the same card has been gladly accepted on other charging systems/apps  like PTT, PEA, and several other charging apps here in Thailand.

Edit: just go a response to my mesage to my dealership which was: "Please call to BYD 02-045-8888"    Dialing that number comes us a BYD Roadside Assistance.   I called and had to leave a voice mail asking about details of the free charging program....now I wait to see if I get a call back.  

Edited by Pib

I expect the BYD Free charging will be very, very similar to their current promotion offering old customers a 4 baht charging rate for a few months.  Basically the person would need to register for Plug & Charge which is basically where the charger and BYD EV talk...exchange some info....and then charging "automatically" begins.   See below partial quote/translation from the Rever Automotive website talking their 4 baht/KHW charging promtoion for old customers....I bolded one paragraph talking the Plug & Charge setup.   Now if a person must have a payment method onfile before beginning the charging session---which is probable--then a person could even begin the process to setup Plug & Play.

PEA chargers have a similar setup for "some EV" where you can just plug the PEA charger into your EV, charging will begin automaically without needed to use the PEA app at all if so desired...and you can stop the charging by pressing the button on the charger or if using the PEA app by pressing the stop icon.  I've used this several times with my BYD Atto on PEA chargers.....pretty much as easy as plugging in your smartphone to charge it up.  But on the PEA app before you could setup the Plug & Play you had to have a payment method onfile...and PEA accepted my Bangkok Bank debit card...and without looking again I think the PEA app also accept QR payment....but the Rever app does not accept QR payment.  Oh well, hopefully more details on the free charging coming soon

https://www.reverautomotive.com/en/news/existing-customers-privilege-campaign

3. Rules, methods, conditions and requirements for participating in the RêverSharger 4 baht charge privilege

1. Eligibility for customers to receive the RêverSharger 4 Baht charge privilege: Customers must be existing customers and existing customers must be the owner and/or possessor of a BYD ATTO 3 or BYD DOLPHIN or BYD SEAL, whose name matches that shown on the ownership document.
  2. Details of the benefits of the RêverSharger privilege, charge 4 baht
    1. Existing customers will receive the right to use the charging service at RêverSharger charging stations at a special price of 4 baht (including VAT) per unit from the original price of 7.5 - 9.5 baht (including VAT) per unit (depending on each RêverSharger charging station) at participating RêverSharger charging stations.
    2. Customers can charge at any RêverSharger charging station within the operating hours of the RêverSharger charging station. You can check the participating service points, operating hours of each RêverSharger charging station, and the conditions of the RêverSharger charging station on the RêverSharger application of Charge Management Co., Ltd., the service provider of the RêverSharger charging station, or at https://www.facebook.com/sharge.ev.co?mibextid=LQQJ4d or inquire for more information at Line @sharge.thailand.
    3. Existing customers will receive the right to charge at RêverSharger at a special price of 4 baht per unit, with only 1 right per ownership of the same BYD ATTO 3 or BYD DOLPHIN or BYD SEAL vehicle.
  3. Procedure for requesting the RêverSharger privilege, charge 4 baht
    1. Existing customers must download the RêverSharger app and create a user account.
    2. Before using the RêverSharger charge 4 baht privilege under this campaign, when connecting the participating charger to the old customer's car, the Plug and Charge menu will appear on the RêverSharger application. Old customers must successfully register for Plug and Charge before using the RêverSharger charge 4 baht privilege under this campaign by entering the vehicle chassis number (VIN Number) of the BYD ATTO 3 or BYD DOLPHIN or BYD SEAL.
    3. If the old customer has linked the VIN Number of BYD ATTO 3, BYD DOLPHIN or BYD SEAL to the user account before proceeding according to Section 3.2, the customer must delete the VIN Number linked in the RêverSharger application first and then proceed according to Section 3.2.
    4. If existing customers have already received the right to charge at a special price of 4 baht (including VAT) per unit from the RêverSharger campaign, charge 4 baht to please BYD members, according to the details at https://www.facebook.com/share/p/Dci1UW1xJy7fqQrF/?mibextid=WC7FNe, existing customers can continue to use the RêverSharger right to charge 4 baht according to this campaign without having to proceed according to clause 3.2 (2) or 3.2 (3) again.
    5. The service fee price on the charger will show the normal service rate. The system will show the discount during the payment process when the charging is complete.
    6. If you encounter any problems registering for your rights or would like to inquire about registration and charging rights, you can inquire at Charge Management Co., Ltd., the RêverSharger charging station service provider, Line @sharge.thailand or call 02-114-7571.
  4. RêverSharger rights limitation, charge 4 baht

The company reserves the right to refuse to exercise the RêverSharger Charge 4 Baht privilege under this campaign if Rêver Automotive Co., Ltd. and/or Charge Management Co., Ltd. checks and finds that the VIN Number is incorrect, the number is not found, or it is found that the old customer is not the owner of a BYD ATTO 3 or BYD DOLPHIN or BYD SEAL vehicle according to the conditions of the RêverSharger Charge 4 Baht privilege in this campaign.

• Agree 1

I am meeting the BYD Sales Guy tomorrow afternoon to try the free charging (instructions only in Thai).

It will be interesting to see if I can charge my friends MG4 X-Power for free with my Rever Charger app.  I was planning on doing that with the 30,000 baht charging credit they are supposed to be giving me.

Interestingly, my Rever Charging app shows I have 1,000 baht credit on there for my previous German EV.  I suspect the app is a clone of something like EA Anywhere.

12 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am meeting the BYD Sales Guy tomorrow afternoon to try the free charging (instructions only in Thai).

It will be interesting to see if I can charge my friends MG4 X-Power for free with my Rever Charger app.  I was planning on doing that with the 30,000 baht charging credit they are supposed to be giving me.

Interestingly, my Rever Charging app shows I have 1,000 baht credit on there for my previous German EV.  I suspect the app is a clone of something like EA Anywhere.

I was also wondering if I could charge my Haval for free using the Rever app. I guess it depends whether VIN information is exchanged during the handshake.

6 hours ago, motdaeng said:

just my humple opinion:

if you often drive long day-trips, charging at up to 22 kw makes sense. 

otherwise, charging your car at 7 kw overnight in 8 hours adds 56 kw to your battery,

which should be more than enough for daily use.

(normaly a 3-phase wallbox and the installation will cost more.)

Have got the Wallbox installed with 3 phase supply, but from my own installer. The one Rever has send first arrived with cheap chinese Breakers and Cables and additional costs of 8.000 THB, so I have send them home. Then they came up with a new quote of 15.000 THB to install Schneider Breaker ,RCCB  and Yazaki Cable. I just waved good bye, bought all by myself for 8k THB and got it installed.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I went to try this free charging at a sharge CS, with mixed results.

First, you need the Reversharger app. Download it and register but do not add your vehicle. You do this at the CS. However , you need to add your credit/debit card. I used my Kasikorn Bank virtual debit card.

When at the CS, plug it in and scan the QR code of whichever charger you are plugged into. You are then prompted to fill in your “tax information” (name, id, address. I used my Thai wife’s name and id). You are then prompted to add your car. Very important step next. You should be prompted to scan your VIN QR that is on the windscreen. This is to verify that you are untitled to benefit from this program, BYD Customer Privilege. Click on register. If all goes well, you should see a screen showing you that you are registered in this program.

I was happily charging away until another Dolphin turned up. He went through the steps mentioned above but didn’t get a prompt to scan his VIN. He started charging and he could see an amount racking up so I suggested he stopped and see if he would be charged. He was, only 20 baht though as he charged for less than a minute. I was wondering if I would get charged as well so I stopped the session. The amount was about 80+ baht but the receipt showed a discount of the same amount so the total was zero. Woohoo! Free charging.

So I restarted my session again, just plug and charge. Sadly, at the end of this 2nd session, I didn’t get the discount and the amount was debited from my account. I have contacted support[at]shargemgmt.com for a refund. Let’s see what happens next.

Today is the first day of this promotion, it’s not surprising that there will be some software glitches.

Thanks.  Did you charge at a BYD dealership, a Shell station, etc.

3 hours ago, Pib said:

And yea, the Rever apps didn't accept my Bangkok Bank debit card either....but the same card has been gladly accepted on other charging systems/apps  like PTT, PEA, and several other charging apps here in Thailand.

Update in getting the ReverSharger app to accept one of my cards.  As mentioned earlier I had only tried my Bangkok Bank debit card several times over the last several months and once again today and the ReverSharger app would never accept it.   This afternoon I gave one of my US credit cards a try and the app accepted it no problem. 

So, now I'm signed up under 6 charging apps used in Thailand...AND I should be able to give the Free Charging for Old BYD Customers using a ReverSharper charging app a try.    

As @Gweiloman recommended above I'll delete my Atto VIN from the app which I had added months ago when first trying to get the ReverSharger app fully setup but never could get a method of payment entered/accepted...but before I had only tried my Bangkok Bank debit card which had been accepted no problem on other charging apps.

And if I remember right when I set the PEA app for Plug & Charge charging (late last year) it also generated a popup during my first or second charging session saying my Atto was compatible with the PEA charger for Plug & Charge use (the charger and EV talking to each other)....the PEA asked me during a charginng sesssion to enter my Tax invoice info and my car license plate number which I did and it was accepted for Plug & Play charging.   Based on @Gweiloman experience with the ReverSharger BYD Free Charging for Old Customers setup it appears to work in a similar way to get the Free Charging privilege activated for your ReverSharger acct.   

• Thanks 1

I just got a a

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Do you have "details" on this program which started appearing in newspapers yesterday & today?   Maybe a weblink to the details...how to signup for the free chraging, etc.?   This morning I messaged my dealership customer service "and" Rever asking about it....so far as of mid day no answer.   And I didnt' see any info about in on the Rever webiste.

What little I know is I'm assuming the free charging will be via the ReverSharger charger network/app.  And if they are going to offer free charging via this charging network they would need to provide some type of credit or something on their app maybe by providing some kind of activation code or something.  I fully expect a person will need to registered/apply for the free charging to prove you are a old BYD customer.

Edit: just go a response to my mesage to my dealership which was: "Please call to BYD 02-045-8888"    Dialing that number comes us a BYD Roadside Assistance.   I called and had to leave a voice mail asking about details of the free charging program....now I wait to see if I get a call back.  

And I just got a response from the message I sent from witihn the  Rever Automotive app where I asked for details on the "1 year free charging" talked about in news articles over the last 24 hours or so.

Basically the response was to go to below webpage, enter your BYD VIN to see if your BYD qualifies and which category it falls in for free/reduced ReverSharger rates.    You check the two blocks at the bottom, enter you VIN, and a page will come back saying if your BYD qualifies, whether you get free charging for 3 months (not 1 year like we've been hearing) and/or a reduced 4 baht rate.  

https://sharge.s3.ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/Existing_BYD_Customer_Privilege_Check.html

As shown in an image when you first go to above webpage there is no "1 year of free charging listed"....the longest is 3 months till 3 Jan 2025 depending on when you bought your BYD and VIN number.   

When I entered my Atto's VIN number (I bought the Atto in late 2023) I can get free charging till 3 Jan 2025 according to below response I got...see snapshot below.    Once again, no mention of 1 year of free charging like we saw in news articles over the previous 24 hours or so.   I wonder if the news articles were just wrong....BYD changed their minds....OR maybe they will only issue out 3 months of free charging at a time which can be extended up to 1 year's worth.   Or maybe where it say's "Starting from 1 Aug 2024 - 3 Jan 2025" since it says "starting" that just means the signup window and if registering during that window you then possibly get 1 year's worth of free charging depending on your model/VIN/when bought.   And if you click How to Register Plug and Charge it just takes you to a Facebook video in Thai langague showing how to register for Plug and Charge at a ReverSharger charger.    Clear as mud. 

image.png.be8d068600117c48e7efb0973ce489b2.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Thanks.  Did you charge at a BYD dealership, a Shell station, etc.

At a Bangchak station. Very few options up here in CM at the moment according to the map on the Rever app.

41 minutes ago, Pib said:

Basically the response was to go to below webpage, enter your BYD VIN to see if your BYD qualifies and which category it falls in for free/reduced ReverSharger rates.    You check the two blocks at the bottom, enter you VIN, and a page will come back saying if your BYD qualifies, whether you get free charging for 3 months (not 1 year like we've been hearing) and/or a reduced 4 baht rate.  

https://sharge.s3.ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/Existing_BYD_Customer_Privilege_Check.html

Whoops...where I said 3 months above I meant to say 5 months....that is from 1 Aug 2024 till 3 Jan 2025.

On 8/1/2024 at 4:21 PM, Gweiloman said:

So I restarted my session again, just plug and charge. Sadly, at the end of this 2nd session, I didn’t get the discount and the amount was debited from my account. I have contacted support[at]shargemgmt.com for a refund. Let’s see what happens next.

@Gweiloman

Did you get a response yet?

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

@Gweiloman

Did you get a response yet?

Basically, I screwed up by scanning the QR code to start my charging session instead of just plugging in and waiting for the handshake process to complete in its own sweet time and automatically start the session. So, it seems like no refund is forthcoming.

I have my own way of getting back. I’m going to run whatever appliances I can off my Dolphin battery, even during the TOU off peak rate (starting tonight and this weekend) and recharging my battery for free, hahaha (dastardly laugh). I’m also going to drive like a maniac, accelerating off the lights and driving at speeds I’ve not done before (100+ kmh) to use more battery than I normally do and recharge it for free again. I might sit in the car with the aircon on just for the fun of it and recharge again, FOR FREE! 

I was charged Thb 265.60 due to non-instructions and I intend to get every satang and more back!

• Haha 2

So, they did respond to you with those instructions just to let autocharge begin?

How do you "stop" the charging as I pressed the stop icon on the charger display numerous times and nothing would happen until I scanned the QR code on the charger.

10 hours ago, Pib said:

So, they did respond to you with those instructions just to let autocharge begin?

How do you "stop" the charging as I pressed the stop icon on the charger display numerous times and nothing would happen until I scanned the QR code on the charger.

If you let the car charge to 100%, it stops automatically and you just need to disconnect. If before 100%, you “checkout” via the app and it prompts you to scan the QR code to confirm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been monitoring the Reverchargers in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, you may want to rethink any road trips with free charging.

Every time I check, they are all busy. Probably with a queue.

• Like 1

Well, on the way back to my home in Bangkok I drove by the ReverSharger DC charger close to the MIL's house again....both DC chargers were being used...and a couple other BYD vehicles lined up waiting to use them.  And I'm now pretty sure why that charger is very popular now because before it wasn't.   It's now popular because it's a "Red Pin" ReverSharger."   I explain below what a Red Pin ReverSharger charger is.

Just before getting back to my home in Bankgok I drove to another ReverSharger "kinda" close to my home....about a 15 minute Bangkok traffic drive away....it was at a Shell station.  This will be the 3rd ReverSharger charger I tried in my attempt to get some free charging under the BYD promotion talked earlier.   Now this charger worked really well in terms of the display icons responding when you pressed them, scanning hte QR caused an immideate response, etc.  However, autocharging didn't work like it did at another charger....I had to start the charging process the normal way of scanning the QR code on the screen.  I stopped the charging after Bt20 worth of electrons to see if my credit card was charged or I got the electrons free---my credit card was charged...no free electrons.   Durn, once again, no free charging even through the ReverSharger app shows my account is activated for free charging.

While racking my brain as to why I'm not getting free charging especially since the free charging is activated in my ReverSharger app account a Google Translation of the BYD free charging promotion flyer noted the free charging rights were only  available at "Red Pin", repeat, Red Pin ReverSharger DC chargers.  See 1st snapshot below.   

Now all three of the three chargers I had previously used are "not" identified as a Red Pin charger but simply as Shell station chargers identified by a seashell Pin (i.e., symbol).   So, that's surely why I didn't get free charging....I had to pay for it.   

See 2nd snapshot below of the different pins shown in the ReverSharger app.....like a Red Pin, a Black Pin, and a Seashell....this snapshot is for the Chiang Mai area. 

And see 3rd snapshot below for ReverShargers in the "central, highrise" part of metro Bangkok were many, many BYD vehicles surely live/work but as you'll see there are few ReverSharger Red Pin chargers (but many ReverSharger Black and Seashell Pin chargers.   

Now I don't live in central Bangkok but over in lowrise "western" Bangkok.  The ReverSharger app shows three Red Pin chargers within about a 15 minute drive of my home...and the app shows all of those DC chargers in use at time of me writing/posting this. 

So, if you have registered for the free/reduced rate charging "and" lucky enough to easily access a ReverSharger DC charger and  that is identified as a "Red Pin" charger then you should be able to get some free charging.  Take a look in the ReverSharger app for the Red Pin charger locations (i.e., free charging)...and remember the Black and seashell Pins do not provide free charging--you get charged as normal...usually a 9 to 10 baht per KWH rate. 

Snapshot 1 of Free Charging Promotion till 3 Jan 2025....note it says the free charging rights can only be used at "Red Pin" DC chargers.

image.png.f3d5b40971fa2bcefee1cab48d2b24ab.png

Snapshot 2 from ReverSharger app: ReverShargers in the Chiang Mai area....notice some are Red Pin, some are Black Pin, and some Seashell pin.   Remember, only  the Red Pin chargers can provide the free charging....use a Black Pin or Seashell Pin charger and your card will be charged.

image.png.d05b1d5f8860480537923c905abfbb26.png

Snaphot 3 from Reversharger app....just zoming in to the "central, highrise part of the metro Bangkok area....very few Red Pin chargers to offer free charging to the MANY, MANY BYD vehicle owners which surely live/work in this area of Bangkok.  

image.png.c0c91cdc2f57b5d912d09924366d63d5.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 2

some interesting stats about charging stations:

https://www.iea.org/reports/global-ev-outlook-2024/trends-in-electric-vehicle-charging

thailand has 64 public charging stations (2023) per electric vehicle. compared to other countries,

this number isn't very high. however, it seems that most ev owners charge at home, as wait

times at some popular charging stations usually only happen during holidays.

i'm not sure if the charging stations at mg, gwm, volvo, byd, tesla etc., are included in this statistic

because i wouldn't call them "real public" charging stations, because they are not open to all bev!

20240804.thumb.png.bc8fdea6faa2e6c62769cc6466b27b7a.png

Edited by motdaeng
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

some interesting stats about charging stations:

https://www.iea.org/reports/global-ev-outlook-2024/trends-in-electric-vehicle-charging

thailand has 64 public charging stations (2023) per electric vehicle. compared to other countries,

this number isn't very high. however, it seems that most ev owners charge at home, as wait

times at some popular charging stations usually only happen during holidays.

i'm not sure if the charging stations at mg, gwm, volvo, byd, tesla etc., are included in this statistic

because i wouldn't call them "real public" charging stations, because they are not open to all bev!

20240804.thumb.png.bc8fdea6faa2e6c62769cc6466b27b7a.png

Actually, MG & BYD CS are open to all EV's as long as you've registered with Reversharger & MG, whether you can do that without their brand car, I'm not sure.

But those of us who have MG & BYD can charge either car at either dealership.  Don't expect free BYD charging on your MG though! (although, who knows?).

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have been monitoring the Reverchargers in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, you may want to rethink any road trips with free charging.

Every time I check, they are all busy. Probably with a queue.

Those who are entitled to the free charging are taking full advantage of it. While I was at BYD CM, a lady turned up in an Atto 3, waited in the queue like everyone else and when it was her turn, her car still had almost 70% charge. I mean, come on lady, you still had 70% charge! I charged yesterday at the only red pinned Bangchak in CM when I had 73% but then t happened to be passing by the station on my way home, honestly. I decided to swing in as there were no other BYDs there instead of the 2 already charging. It so happened that one of them was actually finishing up so I didn’t have to wait at all.

However, within a couple of minutes, another 3 cars turned up so stopped once the speed fell to 32 kWh. If only everyone would be considerate enough to do the same, there would be much much less waiting time. If I was running the show, I would have set it up such that charging is only free up to 80% after which it would be charged at the normal rate. This will immediately reduce waiting times by half but wouldn’t cost BYD any more and they would have a lot more happy instead of frustrated consumers. However, this would have required a bit of thought and planning, something that we all know is sorely lacking in this country.

Someone on the FB BYD group apparently likened this free promotion to throwing scraps to stray dogs and letting them fight over it. This is so apt. The only difference is that everyone is actually very friendly and cheerful and helpful. I guess when you are getting something for “free”, you can’t really complain. It’s early days yet but I wonder if we will continue to see such queues a month down the road. Fortunately, I have YT, HBO GO, TikTok and Netflix on my infotainment system so I have no issue chilling in my car while waiting my turn.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Someone on the FB BYD group apparently likened this free promotion to throwing scraps to stray dogs and letting them fight over it. This is so apt.

I agree.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am a few weeks away from getting 30,000 baht charging credit from BYD.  They’ve just made it impossible to use it.

I drive to Chiang Mai every 2 or 3 weeks, I would really like to recharge there. It’s not going to happen. I will have to charge at our house there which does not have Solar Power 😞

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am a few weeks away from getting 30,000 baht charging credit from BYD.  They’ve just made it impossible to use it.

I drive to Chiang Mai every 2 or 3 weeks, I would really like to recharge there. It’s not going to happen. I will have to charge at our house there which does not have Solar Power 😞

Not all Rever chargers are in this scheme. Like @Pib said, there are Rever chargers at Shell stations that are almost always unoccupied as they don’t have free charging there. These are the black pins. Only red pinned stations are involved.