Help buying a tablet:

sirineou

I know very little about them, and the one I have now (fire tablet 10") is becoming problematic with the charging port . I have to move the cable around and hold it in a particular position to get it to charge . It is only time before it stops charging completely.

Not sure if a charging port is repairable, or even if it's worth it.

I only use this tablet for my kindle books, I would buy  kindle reader but they are so small and expensive. 

Anyway, I looked at Lazada and there are so many brands I am not familiar with and so many configurations .

As I said Just keep in mind I will only use it for E-books, for everything else I have my laptop.

Thank you all 

38 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I only use this tablet for my kindle books, I would buy  kindle reader but they are so small and expensive. 

Did you ever try one?

IMHO reading a book on an eInk reader like Kindle is so much more relaxing compared to a computer screen with backlight.

I am comfortable reading a book on an eInk device for hours. I would never do that on a computer screen.

You can also change the font size on the book readers to whatever is most comfortable for you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you ever try one?

IMHO reading a book on an eInk reader like Kindle is so much more relaxing compared to a computer screen with backlight.

I am comfortable reading a book on an eInk device for hours. I would never do that on a computer screen.

You can also change the font size on the book readers to whatever is most comfortable for you.

You are right with everything you say, I am suffering a bit from insomnia lately and I wonder if it might be the result of staring at a backlight screen (being retired I read a lot) , 

But .. I had ordered a kindle paperwhite , and for me it was simply too small . 

Like robblok, I read too fast and a 10" screen works for me. 

Not sure if you can buy a 10 inch Kindle here in Thailand and even if I could it would probably cost more arms and legs I am willing to part with. LOL

The Reader Rogglok suggested looks interesting . but also don't seem to be available in Thailand. 

Perhaps  as Crossy suggested,  I will attempt to  repair the charging port , as a stop gap solution and revisit a purchase when we take a trip to the states. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got a Boox e reader (tablet but paperwhite). Its a4 and great for kindle. I hated kindle as it was too small. I just read too fast. So this Boox (Chinese brand) e ink tablet is perfect for me.

https://onyxboox.com/boox_noteair2

Thank you for that suggestion, I only seem to be able find the 7.5" model for sale in Thailand 

Oh wait , I found this , but is a bit more than I am willing to part with at this time 

image.png.e248b90a4e2b0d1cbad366401d3e78ca.png

I purchased a Huawei Matepad T10" (4gb + 64gb wifi only) for 4,300bht from Lazada

Price keeps jumping around, but for the money well worth it if you can live without Google/Facebook.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2351218752-s15578405312.htm

The other choice was Alldocube kPad 10.4 for 5,000bht which has everything

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/alldocube-kpad-android11-104-ram4gb-rom64gb-4g-6000mah-i2839093537-s10361269923.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that suggestion, I only seem to be able find the 7.5" model for sale in Thailand 

Oh wait , I found this , but is a bit more than I am willing to part with at this time 

image.png.e248b90a4e2b0d1cbad366401d3e78ca.png

The price is a lil bit lower then that but not much, they are indeed expensive. But paperwhite really reads much better then normal tablets.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I purchased a Huawei Matepad T10" (4gb + 64gb wifi only) for 4,300bht from Lazada

Price keeps jumping around, but for the money well worth it if you can live without Google/Facebook.

The other choice was Alldocube kPad 10.4 for 5,000bht which has everything

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/alldocube-kpad-android11-104-ram4gb-rom64gb-4g-6000mah-i2839093537-s10361269923.html

Thank for that, if I cant as suggested repair the charging post, they both look like good choices, 

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And they buy, off Lazada, magnetic charging cables so you do not have to keep plugging the cable in and out. Simply touch it and it is connected.

Brilliant!! ????, I did not know that they even existed.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The price is a lil bit lower then that but not much, they are indeed expensive. But paperwhite really reads much better then normal tablets.

You are of course right about paper white. Its a great suggestion.

But for the time  , repairing the charging port is a good stop gap solution.

We are planning to go to the States later next year, and when there I see advertised  10 " paperwhite Kindle  for about 12,000 baht 

image.png.c2e23524272544971ad61f2eaa27bf51.png

An update:

I took the tablet to a phone repair place as suggested by Crossy and got the thing fixed, Cost 500 bht. charging  works great!!

and went on lazada and ordered a magnetic charging cable as suggested by KannikaP . So I am good to go until I can make it back to the States and buy another better tablet, most likely the 10" kindle, because as mentioned by OneMoreFarang staring for hours at a back lighted screen can not be very good for me. 

I think it might contribute to my insomnia.

(I get up in the middle of the night after about 4 hours of sleep to go to the bathroom, and then cant go back to sleep for an hour or so) 

And what do I do for that hour? I read  on the tablet that might be contributing to my not be able to sleep. LOL

On 12/7/2022 at 1:07 PM, BritManToo said:

I've an 8" model (I prefer 8") and it's been great for my casual use. Good buy, but fairly low spec.

On 12/8/2022 at 5:42 PM, BigStar said:

I've an 8" model (I prefer 8") and it's been great for my casual use. Good buy, but fairly low spec.

Yeah I've got both an older 8" Huawei and the newer 10" with keyboard which I prefer to use when travelling for simple photo editing rather than carrying a larger heavier laptop. For the price I think they are great value and have proved totally reliable. The software related restrictions imposed on the company make them less attractive these days but the staff at Banana IT, who are always brilliant in my experience, set up the necessary app workaround for me so I can have access to the key apps.

I'd probably look at Xiaomi in future at a similar price level.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, sirineou said:

An update:

I took the tablet to a phone repair place as suggested by Crossy and got the thing fixed, Cost 500 bht. charging  works great!!

and went on lazada and ordered a magnetic charging cable as suggested by KannikaP . So I am good to go until I can make it back to the States and buy another better tablet, most likely the 10" kindle, because as mentioned by OneMoreFarang staring for hours at a back lighted screen can not be very good for me. 

(I get up in the middle of the night after about 4 hours of sleep to go to the bathroom, and then cant go back to sleep for an hour or so) 

And what do I do for that hour? I read  on the tablet that might be contributing to my not be able to sleep. LOL

I imagine everyone over 40 gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom,I can’t work out why you don’t just go straight back to sleep like everybody else have you tried a sleeping mask?

On 12/8/2022 at 5:27 PM, sirineou said:

You think? ???? there are enough studies for you to chose from that backup that idea. ???????? 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

I imagine everyone over 40 gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom,I can’t work out why you don’t just go straight back to sleep like everybody else have you tried a sleeping mask?

I have never at any time had to get up in the middle of the night to use the toilet and I am a good bit over 40.

On 12/8/2022 at 5:27 PM, sirineou said:

You may find taking a Codiphen ( drowsy anti-histamine ) occasionally enables a good night's sleep. It does for me. After my regular nightly pee.

The other aids I use sporadically are edible hash cookies, and kratom. At present, both are legal in Thailand. They seem to give me better sleep too.

Drinking alcohol is guaranteed to interrupt my sleep, as it is a diuretic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You may find taking a Codiphen ( drowsy anti-histamine ) occasionally enables a good night's sleep. It does for me. After my regular nightly pee.

The other aids I use sporadically are edible hash cookies, and kratom. At present, both are legal in Thailand. They seem to give me better sleep too.

Drinking alcohol is guaranteed to interrupt my sleep, as it is a diuretic.

Thank you for that advice

I will give Cadiphen a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 1:07 PM, BritManToo said:

Can this Huawei be used with a smart keyboard also having Thai characters displayed on its keys?

Edited by jacnl2000
Typo

8 minutes ago, jacnl2000 said:

Can this Huawei be used with a smart keyboard also having Thai characters displayed on its keys?

Don't get a Huawei tablet. It can't access Google play services / or the Google app store without massive tweaking and being tech savvy. 

Just get an ipad (the $300 one) it's easy to use and it's fast

Or on Android, Get a Xiaomi Mi Pad 5.

Those are the only options worth it. Cheap $100 mystery tablets from Lazada are trash.

Bought the largest one a few years ago expensive

every few months went back to Samsung repair centre would not charge, was FREE for the 1st year, returned maybe 7 times always the same problem, would take 3 days to repair...   Then they started charging so has been sat in a draw for the past 3 or so years....

1 hour ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Don't get a Huawei tablet. It can't access Google play services / or the Google app store without massive tweaking and being tech savvy. 

Just get an ipad (the $300 one) it's easy to use and it's fast

Or on Android, Get a Xiaomi Mi Pad 5.

Those are the only options worth it. Cheap $100 mystery tablets from Lazada are trash.

I bought the Teclast P20HD, 10" tablet for 4,000 baht from Lazada and it's been very good, reviews were correct, highly rated, but depends what someone wants to do so check functionality 

On 12/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, NoshowJones said:

I have never at any time had to get up in the middle of the night to use the toilet and I am a good bit over 40.

But does your Mrs really not mind changing the sheets every day?   555   Haha.