Insects in bags of rice

MJCM

10 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What?  They are safe to eat. So are their eggs. They are only eating rice, and so their microscopic  poops will just be the indigestible parts of the rice grains that you would eat anyway.  Jeez. 

I take it you don't like eating the fried bugs and insects here... Lol. 

I really dont know how you think eating a few tiny rice beetles will give your digestional tract 'massive infections'! 

Try the YouTube podcasts by Worldleading Parasitologists (TWIP) ThsWeekInParasitology). There are a lot of potentially toxic insects out there that use a human as a host in their life cycle. This is why the majority of edible insects eaten in Thailand are farmed and/or selected from the wild.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...or rinse the rice, takes 30 seconds and they're gone.

Not as simple as that, depend size of sieve, so may need to buy another. They usually float to the top so easier to remove.

Really though, should be taken back to shop, paid for rice not weevils

Well you could be more worried about micro plastic.

How much did you find in the bag of that?

It seems to be in all liquids and solids nowadays.

Already found in human blood.

Dont worry they say. Untill all those tiny plastics blocks some tiny veins in your brain and you drop dead.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...or rinse the rice, takes 30 seconds and they're gone.

Not as simple as that, depend size of sieve

It is just that easy, no need to use a sieve, that makes it more difficult.  Adding water to the rice in the cooker or pot and stirring it around (as should be done anyway, regardless of whether the rice is weevil-infested) makes the weevils float to the surface from where they can easily be poured off.  The heavy rice stays on the bottom while the water weevils are removed.  It's so easy and takes 30 seconds.

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

I almost can't believe that I am actually engaged in a discussion about the possible presence of weevil eggs in rice and the someone's possible disinclination to eat them.

Yes, it's amazing, isn't it?   And the weevil eggs are so delicious, I can't understand anyone's aversion to them.  If they were big enough they'd be sold as street food as insects and ants eggs are!

23 hours ago, proton said:

You wash them out before cooking

Unlike the cooks in Nigeria on the oil platforms (just after the Biafran war) who couldn't find any rice or flour without these weevils in, so would basically cook them in the process, and we learnt to not closely inspect the bread rolls they made, just eat them without really looking!!!!

Newcomers to the platform couldn't believe it, but it had become a way of life and didn't bother us......and I'm still here 50+ years later!

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is just that easy, no need to use a sieve, that makes it more difficult.  Adding water to the rice in the cooker or pot and stirring it around (as should be done anyway, regardless of whether the rice is weevil-infested) makes the weevils float to the surface from where they can easily be poured off.  The heavy rice stays on the bottom while the water weevils are removed.  It's so easy and takes 30 seconds.

which is what i did but of course leaves all the other weevils in the remaining rice, some people would rather get rid of all of them, freezing them seems a good idea then remove later

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

which is what i did but of course leaves all the other weevils in the remaining rice, some people would rather get rid of all of them, freezing them seems a good idea then remove later

+1

Freezing will kill them all and the eggs, and after the freezing (4-5 days at -18c) you can then easily wash them out as they will float (incl the grains were they hatched from as those will also float).

17 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Happens often all my wife does is take the rice lay it out in the sun come back gone put rice back in container.

Never had a problem I'm still alive and kicking. 

Depends how many birds are in the area, but I'm assuming they do eat raw rice (and the insects).

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Depends how many birds are in the area, but I'm assuming they do eat raw rice (and the insects).

They most certainly do. Now is Rice Harvest season and people are drying their rice outside and many birds (when the owner of the rice is away) will come and eat the rice. And that rice has still it's husk. So with plain white rice its even easier from them (the birds that is ???? )

23 hours ago, MJCM said:

FYI but I doubt you care you have to put the rice in the Freezer for at least 4-5 days at a minimum temperature of -18c

https://www.gcca.org/resources/industry-topics/what-best-way-handle-rice-contains-weevils

why shouldn't I care I'm a rice addict love the stuff fresh or frozen..brown or white cooked or uncooked..ect ect ect..I care I really care i really do ..big kisses H

I keep my rice in a plastic container. Every now and then I put it outside in the sun and take the lid off and let the bugs leave by themself. 

Those that remain come out during the washing process. They float. 

Here's something most people don't know. If you're buying bags of rice that are reasonably fresh and which have not been stored for a long period amongst other bags, tape up the moisture holes. There's usually four of them, two on the front and two on the back. 

2022-04-06 11.43.35.jpg

2022-04-06 11.43.00.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Yme said:

buying bags of rice

Thank you for the photos and what an interesting coincidence. Am I correct in saying your rice is "Royal Mongkut  Cambodian Premium Jasmine Rice"? This is the rice I use here in Siem Reap and purchase from my local supermarket. It is sold in a yellow bag rather than a pink one and has the small holes - never noticed them before!

On 12/14/2022 at 10:22 PM, Burma Bill said:

Thank you for the photos and what an interesting coincidence. Am I correct in saying your rice is "Royal Mongkut  Cambodian Premium Jasmine Rice"? This is the rice I use here in Siem Reap and purchase from my local supermarket. It is sold in a yellow bag rather than a pink one and has the small holes - never noticed them before!

Yes it is. But it's on all of the CP products and the Makro brand as well (same company). I had the country manager come out and they were the ones who mentioned the holes. He also said that the fumigant they use in Cambodia comes from Vietnam and may not be as effective as what they use in Thailand. They're not licenced to import the Thai product. I'm waiting to see if covering the holes helps. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 10:22 PM, Burma Bill said:

Just to follow up. Taping the holes seems to work. It also results in a vacuum-packed effect as the rice absorbs all of the moisture in the bag ????  

• Thanks 1