British ex-teacher, 78, and his boyfriend, 27, killed in horror car crash in Thailand

webfact

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, the photo in the OP does not show a zebra crossing markings, neither does the photo show the Yaris driving across any unbroken white lines.

Sure it does.  This is a simple sketch of what that road looks like from above.  But not everyone has the ability to perceive spacial relations by looking a pictures.  So don't feel bad.

image.jpeg.ad641665d56758bba341a1c9d49555db.jpeg.46ccf3555a646751f8a4f79e24671ed4.jpeg

307469069_Screenshotfrom2022-12-1411-21-53.png.3d39083fccac603ae5e8f2c57361f287.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I was thinking exactly the same!

And what purpose was served except to cause intentional embarrassment to the families of both individuals after their unfortunate passing, especially the young man, barely started his life.

Hope the Daily Mail is proud of their insensitive and unnecessary age focused reporting!

A lot of people and their friends and relatives aren't overly concerned about the sexual orientation of their friends and relatives or even total strangers. Right now, I imagine the friends and relatives of these victims are filled with grief and sadness and not the least bit embarrassed by the stuff that so obviously bothers you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Officers investigating the death found that a silver Honda CRV driven by school director Dr Kanittha Thonglert, 57, had rammed into the back of the couple's car when it slowed down to turn into a side road.

Time to sack the  ministers responsible for road safety and get someone in the position who is capable of making changes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That would suggest that you read the DM 'countless times'.

Why?

Perhaps because the link to the DM article itself is quoted here? Maybe that's why.

Even the DM link mentions their ages, come to think of it.

Why won't it suffice to write it without their ages:  /... British-pensioner-partner-killed-horror-car-crash-Thailand.html

Sensationalising the age gap by highlighting their ages seems to be the DM writer's agenda.

Edited by Thomas KH

Sometimes you can't do this because of the design of the turn, but normally when I turn right, I keep my wheels facing straight, instead of turning the wheels before you turn. Then if you are hit from behind, you are pushed forward, instead of into the path of oncoming cars. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, tgw said:

I understand where the poster you replied is coming from, his remarks were a bit one sided though.

Of course the CRV is to blame, but the Yaris is equally to blame, from the published photo it seems very clear that not only this wasn't a U-turn spot, but there are continuous lines and zebras on the ground indicating crossing there is totally prohibited. And behind the continuous lines were the opposite lanes, also carrying traffic, which the Yaris would have needed to cross to reach the side road.

Making a turn there was reckless driving.

all victims RIP.

The diagonal road markings inside the white lines are called hatching, if they are a V shape then called chevron not zebras, they are pedestrian crossing terms.

Edited by roo860

24 minutes ago, connda said:
46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, the photo in the OP does not show a zebra crossing markings, neither does the photo show the Yaris driving across any unbroken white lines.

Sure it does.  This is a simple sketch of what that road looks like from above.  But not everyone has the ability to perceive spacial relations by looking a pictures.  So don't feel bad.

image.jpeg.ad641665d56758bba341a1c9d49555db.jpeg.46ccf3555a646751f8a4f79e24671ed4.jpeg

What you showed in your "simple sketch" does not show zebra crossing markings, which cross roads from kerb to kerb, they do not run parallel to the road!  Neither does the photo show unbroken white lines that the Yaris was being driven across.  That you chose to make them unbroken in your simple but inaccurate sketch means nothing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thailand has one of the world's worst road safety records. Ministers have set the goal of reducing fatalities from 32.7 deaths per 100,000 people to 12 per 100,000 people by the year 2027.

However, a lack of road safety education in schools, cheap loans for cars, notoriously easy driving tests, police failures to enforce road laws as well as endemic corruption and chronic under-investment in infrastructure hamper the efforts.

Another couple of innocent people join the tally. The supporting paragraph in The Mail sums it up perfectly. 

R.I.P. 

Ministers have set the goal of reducing fatalities from 32.7 deaths per 100,000 people to 12 per 100,000 people by the year 2027.

What's the use of just setting goals without actually DOING anything? It is no better than a Football Manager's team needing to score a goal but not sending any of his players onto the pitch!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, roo860 said:

The diagonal road markings inside the white lines are called hatching, if they are a V shape then called chevron not zebras, they are pedestrian crossing terms.

And the hatching mark out parts of lane where it is essentially illegal to drive.  They use them, especially in Bangkok, to mark the area where roads merge and the police in Bangkok DO ticket drivers who drive into the hatching marked lanes while trying to merge onto the highways.
It's a money maker.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

They need to take a real driving test like they do in Europe and the rest of the world 30 lessons before you can even sit your test plus the 100% correct theory test. I took the driving test here and it's a joke and way  to easy just 3 tasks no theory test  anf much to cheap playing f1 on the playstation is harder. The only way to stop the road carnage is to educate them and do  like  europe that in the first 12 month if they get any points on licence must take the test again. If things start to hit the pockets of thai drivers they will soon learn 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

A lot of people and their friends and relatives aren't overly concerned about the sexual orientation of their friends and relatives or even total strangers. Right now, I imagine the friends and relatives of these victims are filled with grief and sadness and not the least bit embarrassed by the stuff that so obviously bothers you.

Completely wrong and a rude assumption, but that is your style isn't it? And you love your baiting posts littered with wrong assumptions.

It does not bother me at all or in the slightest. And furthermore, I am not in the slightest homophobic!

I was referring to perceived attitudes in the UK of people who knew the elderly gentleman of a similar age group and the way they can be "set in  their ways."

Likewise, in Thailand, not all Thai families are particularly welcoming of this kind of publicity.

Edited by Scouse123

51 minutes ago, aussiebrian said:

Sometimes you can't do this because of the design of the turn, but normally when I turn right, I keep my wheels facing straight, instead of turning the wheels before you turn. Then if you are hit from behind, you are pushed forward, instead of into the path of oncoming cars. 

Defensive Driving 101 ...

... along with glancing in the rear view, JIC

Also good to do at intersection/traffic lights you are stopped at.  Along with never tailgate vehicle in front of you, JIC, you need to make a quick escape while waiting.

57 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Sensationalising the age gap by highlighting their ages seems to be the DM writer's agenda.

Along with their relationship.

How many accident reports of unmarried people killed in vehicle, simply state, 'passenger killed at scene, and driver died at hospital.'

ages & 'his boyfriend' have to be the headliner ...

... why I wouldn't support such a rag.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Did you really mean the 'past' perfect tense here? 

I hope you don't have any Thai relatives. 

Don't be so sensitive although you are Thai you are more like the rest of us than you want to admit.  You just don't or overwhelm at times with the negative here with the Thai so call bashing.  But like I said to you before we didn't wake up saying to ourselves let get them. 

I know how you feel I do have relatives here a reminder a son,  wife grandaughter. 

With them I have express my general view being here 20 years what I think about the K--g himself,  the nonsense of T.I.T.. 

When it comes to driving pretty much a expect I willing to debate any Thais leader on this subject any time any place as long as I have immunity from that debate. 

I also have a solution and a plan how to fix it but will also need immunity to do it why because This aren't going to like it.  They can't fix the problem cause the leaders come from the same school then those who can won't too scare to lose that job or standing. 

It won't ever be fix by a Thai that is my opinion and trying to criticize the grammar with present or past? Won't change a thing as to what have to say!  

• Like 1

Just from studying the still from the CCTV I can see 3 driving faults that culminated in this unfortunate accident.

Firstly the deceased driver was making an illegal right turn. There are yellow hash marking down the centre which means you should not cross the line. 

Secondly the Yaris driver was driving without due attention to what was going on ahead.

And thirdly the Pick up driver is doing what so many do here and driving in the righthand lane when he should on the left unless overtaking.

Accidents rarely have a single cause and this is a classic example.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Just from studying the still from the CCTV I can see 3 driving faults that culminated in this unfortunate accident.

Firstly the deceased driver was making an illegal right turn. There are yellow hash marking down the centre which means you should not cross the line. 

Secondly the Yaris driver was driving without due attention to what was going on ahead.

And thirdly the Pick up driver is doing what so many do here and driving in the righthand lane when he should on the left unless overtaking.

Well put.  A combination of errors and lack of concentration by all concerned.  Could, and does, happen everywhere.  Very tragic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Try to explain to some Thaivisa posters that there were no continuous white lines, not zebra crossing markings, that the Yaris was shown driving over in the OP photo.

Try to read again my post: 

“Try to explain to Thais what’s lines and zebras meaning on the roads”.

I am generalizing.  I didn't mention anything about this case.????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Completely wrong and a rude assumption, but that is your style isn't it? And you love your baiting posts littered with wrong assumptions.

It does not bother me at all or in the slightest. And furthermore, I am not in the slightest homophobic!

I was referring to perceived attitudes in the UK of people who knew the elderly gentleman of a similar age group and the way they can be "set in  their ways."

Likewise, in Thailand, not all Thai families are particularly welcoming of this kind of publicity.

Why are you projecting so much?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Keith was loved by everyone. He was so much fun and he was always happy and making people laugh.

A very sad and tragic road accident, like so many others we read about. Despite their sexual orientation and age difference, may they RIP together in Paradise (Sagga).

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

5 hours ago, Docno said:

"CCTV footage shows driver Mr Kanadee had slowed down to turn right into a side road"

It might have been 'braked sharply' too....I fear turning right off a single carriageway too... one has to watch behind as much is in front.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Following on from @SomchaiDIY's informative earlier post with the accident location, if you use Google Earth Street View and travel in the westerly direction the Yaris was taking, there's two lanes (in both directions), a 60 kmh speed limit sign, followed by a yellow school zone sign and then a 50 kmh limit sign, also painted on the road surface. There's no signage prohibiting left or right turns. The white dashes on the west-bound lane indicates that this is the side with the school and  hence a solid white line is between both lanes.

According to this version of the Thailand Highway Code YELLOW LINES: mark the center of a two-way road used for two-way traffic. You may pass on a two-way road if the yellow center line is broken. When a solid and a broken yellow line are together, you must not pass if you are driving next to the solid line. Two solid yellow lines mean no passing. Never drive to the left of these lines.

https://thaidrivinglicense.wordpress.com/traffic-sign/

It's ambiguous in that they seem to be for preventing cars passing or overtaking other cars but doesn't use the word cross or crossing as in, "Two solid yellow lines mean no crossing. Never cross to the left of these lines."

An earlier post suggested the pickup may have been partially to blame but looking at the picture below, taken from Google Earth Street View, the pickup would have been coming over a slight crest (heading east towards the street camera view). Also note in the picture that a car has just emerged from the right-side road (where the Yaris was turning into) and has crossed the solid yellow hatched zones do do this.

217.jpg.d6ad222b86bd861d0e2f83ad5942b02d.jpg

In my experience in Isaan, these solid yellow lines are crossed every day, not overtaken on but by vehicles entering and exiting from side streets. They are not prohibited from doing so.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1