Immigration officers coming and checking that I live here...

I had a visit many years ago when I gained the retirement extension from a Non-O, I have never seen them since.

Friendly, polite and why shouldn't they be? No reason to be any other, some here are afraid of their own shadow.

Up here ' in the sticks ' it's also common place for uniform police to have photographs taken outside bars and restaurants in the evening, 

No, they aren't chasing drink drivers or taking registration plates of customers, they are merely proving to their boss that they have been out and done their jobs, duty and inspections as required.

The only point I am making is that sometimes, as Westerners, we read too much into their actions when most of the time they are innocent and just have a different way of doing things.

Edited by Scouse123

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

You must look a dodgy character

No facial hair, which was not fashionable then, no tattoos, tall and slim. Nothing dodgy about that surely. ????

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Thumbs Up 1

Non O Retirement UDT. Couple three years ago IO came to visit we’re in a village. They visited neighbor Farang up the road he was on Non O Marriage. Guessed they thought to stop by our 

place on the way back … no call… I wasn’t home they talked to Father in law who lives in house behind us on same lot. 

i was told to go to local police station next day in town 22 km away. The asked questions, copied passport asked if I had tattoos .. yes.. so had to take my shirt off for pictures. None spoke much English. They said Thank You and haven’t seen them since. No big deal just doing their job. 
There’s only two farangs I’ve ever seen in 7 years.  

13 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, then you still have to do 90-days, right. And, you know, does not matter if you say they are not welcome. If they wish, they will visit you anyway, and you can not refuse.

What does 90 day reports have to do with home visit.

I struggle to understand any of your posts 

BTW 90 day reports can be done online or via mail. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What does 90 day reports have to do with home visit.

I struggle to understand any of your posts 

BTW 90 day reports can be done online or via mail. 

Means they are pretty sure to have your address if they wish to make a visit. Not too hard to understand.

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, then you still have to do 90-days, right. And, you know, does not matter if you say they are not welcome. If they wish, they will visit you anyway, and you can not refuse.

As mentioned, i'm a frequently traveller so am always in and out the country, the 90 days ( for me ) is no issue.

Imm have no reason to visit my house.

On 12/16/2022 at 4:52 PM, al valio said:

Is this a usual procedure (2 officers, took photos of me, passport, condo, etc.) or did I get a special treatment free of charge? ????

Background: I just recently applied for conversion of visa-exempt to Non-Imm O (retirement) in Bangkok, am due to pick it up next week.

Same as you, I did the VE - Non O ret conversion at Chaengwattana last month and also got a home visit the following week (they called to make appointment the night before). It was over in 10 minutes, but at the time it was quite disconcerting as I hadn't read of it happening to anyone else at that point.

I understand this is a new thing in the wake of the recent irregularities that have been reported in the news. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

And <deleted> them around and see how easy your next extension is.... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Same as you, I did the VE - Non O ret conversion at Chaengwattana last month and also got a home visit the following week (they called to make appointment the night before). It was over in 10 minutes, but at the time it was quite disconcerting as I hadn't read of it happening to anyone else at that point.

I understand this is a new thing in the wake of the recent irregularities that have been reported in the news. 

Aren't  the recent irregularities all connected to the Chinese mafia/gangsters/businessmen?

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

As mentioned, i'm a frequently traveller so am always in and out the country, the 90 days ( for me ) is no issue.

Imm have no reason to visit my house.

They might do anyway, and you just have to accept that. 

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, connda said:

They do that.  Be nice.  Invite them in to have a cup of coffee.  Smile.  Be respectful while asserting your own status (you're better off than most middle-class Thais).  Wish them well on their way out the door. 

I was away once and Immigration showed up looking for a previous tenant. My wife let them in and explained who I was and proved it. They then searched my entire house without my consent despite me being the sole contract holder.  They can confirm who you are without entering your private domicile.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:08 PM, DrJack54 said:

I will wait for similar posts from folk that have had same experience in obtaining a non O retirement at CW. 

Haven't read one apart from this thread. 

Things do happen that we all don't hear about as it's normal life. Posters to this forum don't represent the vast majority of people in thailand whether tourist or expats so the situation posted is a fairly normal occurrence 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

They might do anyway, and you just have to accept that. 

Immigration might spend their time better by visiting houses/condos etc where they have information about people overstaying, instead of 'harassing' people who are legally in Thailand?

Presumably illegal over-stayers would take precedence over legal people?

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 8:26 PM, Lorry said:

I remember reading about it on TV.

I think it was in this thread

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://aseannow.com/topic/1279298-home-immigration-checks-may-be-on-the-uptick/&ved=2ahUKEwjQxNDFnv77AhXtTWwGHeiGB08QFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw22y3qLcyBFoyNWwA7RRHVO

A home visit from immigration is threatening and humiliating.  OP is quite right to be freaked out.

It gives you an idea in what kind of country you live. 

How did they threaten or humiliate you?

It is part of their job spec.

If you have a serious problem I suggest that you contact the Head of the Immigration and tell him your feelings.

http://www.suratimmigration.go.th/en/command.php#:~:text=Commissioner of Royal Thai Police,.Lt.Gen. Phakphumphiphat Sujjapan

http://www.suratimmigration.go.th/en/contact.php

or call 1178 from your mobile and ask to speak with him personally

I am on a marriage extension in Kamphaeng Phet and between the application and the approval we had a home visit.

First they called my wife to agree on a day and time. Three of them turned up on time, spoke to my wife and our 2 neighbours, spoke to me and I had a photo taken with one of them.

We offered them cold water or coffee, they chose water. While one IO was doing the paperwork on his laptop the others wandered around, they went into the house taking their shoes off first and had a quick tour with my wife showing them around, came back out, shoes on and left after about 30 minutes.

Was I threatened or humiliated?

Not in the slightest.

That was about 4 years ago and we haven't had a home visit since.

Just be polite, smile and go with the flow and life in Thailand is easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But a home visit for either extension is still a home visit.

My understanding is that home visit for extensions based on marriage is more about showing marriage is genuine.

Hence the neighbors and even sometimes pictures inside the home.

This is also reflected in all the extra requirements that marriage has over retirement. 

Don't follow the home visit for visa/extensions based on retirement.

They already would have a TM30 and perhaps a TM47 or lease.

What's the purpose of home visit. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

No chance, been here 20 years ++ only visited for the extensions.

What is it you don´t understand? Do you think you can refuse to accept a visit? Some people really have a chip on their shoulder.

• Thumbs Up 1