Is it really possible to be here with 6 years overstay

On 12/17/2022 at 9:51 PM, proton said:

I despise over stayers and those with illegal extensions, just makes it harder for the rest of us doing things legally and respecting the law. I would report anyone breaking the law by overstaying for years, up to me.

We get it, you like to virtue signal... well done

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marsupienemi said:

Can I ask you what is your domain of expertise? Are you talking about a permanent job or are you a Freelancer (talking about clients, projects...)
Once again, because your situation is allowing you to be back on the same level in 1 to 3 days, then it should be the same for everyone? Come on, I don't believe you are 100% honest. 
For example: You are a database expert working for Microsoft in Bkk. The back up plan would be to be in touch with recruiters to always be aware of the opportunities, the salary you can expect...
But it's not that simple because it's a very small network and apparently it's hard to keep things discreet.
However, I totally agree with you on "who never thinks more than the nose reaches"
Several times I alerted people who, after losing their job, said: "I'm going on vacation and I'll look for a job afterwards", then they spent all their money, and didn't find a job quickly (with in addition a lack of skills to properly search the web) and then... forced to return to their country of origin.
I am fully aware that a lot of people who come to Thailand are there to party and meet girls and put their work on the back burner. These people do not live in Thailand but survive in Thailand and disappear quite quickly. I looked for a long time for partners to develop my projects more quickly and I gave up. I now stay away from them, they are just a waste of (precious) time. 
I dare to believe that a person who has founded a home is a little more responsible, but no one is 100% immune and we cannot say that the situation is improving.
In fact, what I blame you for is being so categorical when you don't know the details of his situation.

My expertise is: Marketing, Digital Marketing, Wed design, SEO (On-page, Off-page & Technical), Company Profiling, Content & Copy writing as well as graphic design. Always see to that I work 1,5 full time. (60 hours per week).  So, full time employed and half time own company. Something that everyone should try, that can be done in most lines or work or take up a second line. The result is to always have a half time client base, which when losing full time, can easily be worked up to full time or more.

Edited by Gottfrid

On 12/17/2022 at 7:31 AM, proton said:

It has affected us as they made us keep the cash longer in the bank to try and stop the fraudsters, obviously it did not work. Nothing sad about getting rid of people who have no right to be here.

Are you German by chance ?

I don't think that why. It is more about keeping up with inflation and getting as much as they can get away with. 

By upping the ante, they are making "fraud" more likely than less. Everyone picks their battles. I bet there's risks you take that over stayers think is bad too

On 12/17/2022 at 9:51 PM, proton said:

I despise over stayers and those with illegal extensions, just makes it harder for the rest of us doing things legally and respecting the law. I would report anyone breaking the law by overstaying for years, up to me.

What do you consider an "illegal extension"? I have an extension like many via an agent and it is perfectly legal.

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

yes, emergency care is refused regularly. 

And, yes, I am speaking from personal experience with lots of cases, not just 2 or 3.

Go on then, give some detail to back that claim that you have been refused emergency care when taken to hospital emergency rooms "lots of times".

51 minutes ago, jimn said:

What do you consider an "illegal extension"? I have an extension like many via an agent and it is perfectly legal.

If your extension is from an office in a province you do not live in then it is 100% illegal. If you live in, lets say  Bangkok, and the agent had to get the extension from a province up country, that is not a legal process. When they have to do this it is due to having no corrupt IO contacts where you live. 

On 12/18/2022 at 4:16 AM, Onerak said:

How is overstayers making it harder for others? 

As long as they are contributing to the Thai economy and being respectable to everyone and behaving themselves why should anyone bother.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

My expertise is: Marketing, Digital Marketing, Wed design, SEO (On-page, Off-page & Technical), Company Profiling, Content & Copy writing as well as graphic design. Always see to that I work 1,5 full time. (60 hours per week).  So, full time employed and half time own company. Something that everyone should try, that can be done in most lines or work or take up a second line. The result is to always have a half time client base, which when losing full time, can easily be worked up to full time or more.

Ok that's what I guessed. Actually, I don't do exactly the same thing but it's pretty close. Let's say we are internet professionals.
The way I see things evolving I think Freelancers will only survive by teaming up and bringing in different skills. But if you want to try to keep all your skills up to date (I've done that for years) it's no longer possible or at best burn out awaits you or at worst a stroke. Everything has become far too technical and/or complex.
And then you have to juggle changes in algorithms, learn advertising on the web which includes a lot of sub-domains as well as technical developments which sometimes are to your advantage, sometimes not. And in addition, many jobs that paid well, such as translations, no longer present any interest because the prices have fallen too much. I also do voice-overs, it still pays very well, but I can't say what the situation will be in barely 2 years.
Even in your situation, there are precarious things.
How are you going to do SEO with Google, which announced a few months ago that there were too many sites and pages indexed and that very soon the robots will only read certain pages of a site (and at the moment it seems it will be up to his free will). I think you can already see the impact it will have on SEO and therefore the income of many sites. How are you going to advise your clients under these conditions?
I give you another example: Have you tried sites that offer text writing using machine learning and AI. It's simply stunning. But what future for copyrighters? The other day I made a request: Write me a sales pitch for the sE Electronics Neom USB microphone. You can add the keywords you need, define the number of words, you also have options like continuing a text, rewriting a paragraph etc. If you have never done any tests, I recommend the ChatGPT site, but there are others and look for the video on YouTube entitled: The Google Killer? ChatGPT Will Change SEO!
But go talk about all this to a petrochemical engineer who has just lost his job. There is work but the vast majority do not know how to search effectively and fall back on slavery 2.0 platforms such as upwork. All these platforms are completely saturated and you won't get a job but a depression!

Edited by Marsupienemi
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 5:32 AM, daveAustin said:

I get that and it is annoying when one goes by the book while others take the mick. Grassing people though…. dunno about that. 

If I found out that someone was a rapist or child abuser, I would certainly inform the authorities.

The police have to be helped in their fight against real criminals, notice I said real criminals, without the publics help no criminals would ever get captured except ones caught in the act.

On 12/19/2022 at 8:52 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Is it just the Immigration law transgressors that you'd selectively report or those who break any laws here?    Have you ever broken any Thai law, however minor, or taken advantage of lax law enforcement in any way, since you've been here?   

"Have you ever broken any Thai law,"  Probably spends most of his time in bed and is a member of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade. ????

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

As long as they are contributing to the Thai economy and being respectable to everyone and behaving themselves why should anyone bother.

I agree: this guy is well respected in the community he lives and help local with food and money sometimes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Depends on which service the agent provided. If you satisfy the extension requirements and the agent just helped you to complete the documents, then it's legal.

If you don't satisfy the requirements and the agent forged documents, bribed the IO etc, then it's obviously illegal.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is an ATM now called a bank? And when I use an ATM I use it with my ATM card, I don't need a passport for that.

No but you can be traced, and how do you replace the card without a passport, where the bank will notice your expired visa/extension ?

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No but you can be traced, and how do you replace the card without a passport, where the bank will notice your expired visa/extension ?

A general reply not only for this comment.

I don't want to give the impression that everybody can stay here forever without valid visa.

As far as I know the question was/is: Is it possible? And I still think it is possible. But obviously life is a little more difficult with years of overstay.

But then, if someone had a year or two overstay already this person had enough time to think about alternatives. I.e. getting money in the bank account of a (girl)friend or cash from visitors or whatever.

Is it convenient: No. But I am sure some people prefer that compared to living somewhere in cold and rainy farang-land. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cardano said:

Both of which require a valid passport to obtain and renew

But about this guy, it's probably not his main problem. He can have a Thai account under the name of his wife and an online bank for himself. I don't have a Thai Bank, I use Revolut, to open the account, I just had to provide a recent bill from my country of origin (I still have a valid address and you can"t open a Revolut account with only an address in Thailand) and a copy of my passport. It was done in 10 minutes. 

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't want to give the impression that everybody can stay here forever without valid visa.

As far as I know the question was/is: Is it possible? And I still think it is possible. But obviously life is a little more difficult with years of overstay.

But then, if someone had a year or two overstay already this person had enough time to think about alternatives. I.e. getting money in the bank account of a (girl)friend or cash from visitors or whatever.

Is it convenient: No. But I am sure some people prefer that compared to living somewhere in cold and rainy farang-land. 

'Point of no return' springs to mind. After several year's a person may consider that 'I've done it now, can't undo it, I've not been caught yet so the obvious choice is to continue keeping my head down'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And 2 more here...
I am surprised that with all the biometrics Passports and IT system at every borders, the authorities are not able to get the full list of overstayers that they could update every week. As you are suppose to give an address when entering the country, it's a good start to track them. Thailand, has a police and an immigration police and it's part of their jobs. Not our duty. 

When I see the word "crackdown" I can't help thinking that it is an action to show the people that the nice government is doing its job against the bad Farangs, responsible for many evils in this country . Do I have toI remind you that it was the "dirty farangs" who brought the Covid back to TH...
We must not forget that Thailand is a very nationalistic country and with the arrival of the military in power has reinforced this feeling. Moreover, each country that knows an economic crisis makes the mistake of closing in on itself, and foreigners become the perfect target to focus on,  because they are responsible for all the troubles. This also makes it possible to talk about something other than the pitiful results of the various policies put in place, a corruption that is only getting worse despite the promises that had been made, etc.
It's called diverting attention.
On the other hand, what is true is that the ASEAN countries must harmonize their immigration policies and that Thailand will be less and less able to be the sieve it has been. Fans of "it was better before" will be jubilant!

Last but not least: I think it is relevant to remind the difference between a crime and a violation.
From my point of view (and without researching the exact nuances on the internet), a crime is directed against a natural person. Typically: Rapes, robberies, murders and others
Violations of the law consist of not following the rules established for everyone, some can be more serious than others and possibly lead to heavy prison sentences.
Overstay is one case, drunk driving too (but it becomes a crime if you kill someone).
To put it simply: Using drugs is a violation, selling drugs is a crime.
This is why the example that had been given by assimilating a person in ovestay to a murderer or a rapist made me react.

Edited by Marsupienemi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

'Point of no return' springs to mind. After several year's a person may consider that 'I've done it now, can't undo it, I've not been caught yet so the obvious choice is to continue keeping my head down'.

Totally agree with that. At the beginning he might worry a lot and then with time, because he hasn't been cought he probably believes it's not such a big deal and he has plenty of time to solve it.

From what I've read, he's now bragging about this situation, which shows that in his mind, he has nothing to fear anymore...They've never caught him before, why now?
I call it playing Russian roulette, but everyone does what they want.

• Like 2

We all have our choices.

I know I guy who used to work here for many years. He is not married but together with the same Thai woman since forever.

He didn't save any money, his pension from back home is minimal. Legally he has basically no chance to live here.

So what does he do? I didn't ask him because I am sure he won't like that question. I am pretty sure he stays with his woman up country, without a valid visa, and hopes for the best.

The alternative for him would be living somewhere with almost no money in a country which he doesn't like.

Tough choices.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Sneak into Cambodia and leave from there.

For a price, you could probably persuade the Cambodian officials to overlook the illegal entry. However, it would not help to clean up your immigration status in Thailand. It is not 1970 any more, and the Thai authorities would immediately flag your illegal status as soon as you tried to enter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If you don't satisfy the requirements and the agent forged documents, bribed the IO etc, then it's obviously illegal.

You state that it is obviously illegal, and that is the normal attitude of a Westerner who has never researched the subject. The fact is that Thai laws have loopholes that I firmly believe are deliberate that facilitate no risk corruption. Yes, if you directly bribe an official, that is illegal. However, indirect bribery via payments to third parties cannot be prosecuted, even if everyone admitted (which, of course no one does) that this dodge was being used. It happens all the time in this country, and for much larger sums than those involved in agent assisted extensions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We all have our choices.

I know I guy who used to work here for many years. He is not married but together with the same Thai woman since forever.

He didn't save any money, his pension from back home is minimal. Legally he has basically no chance to live here.

So what does he do? I didn't ask him because I am sure he won't like that question. I am pretty sure he stays with his woman up country, without a valid visa, and hopes for the best.

The alternative for him would be living somewhere with almost no money in a country which he doesn't like.

Tough choices.

There was a time, not so long ago, I saw advertisements for agencies offering to "lend" the money you had to show to get the Retired Visa. From memory the price was 32,000 thb the first year and 16,000thb/year for renewal. Which makes it much more affordable.
But in a post, it is said that the government asks to have the sum available longer and Mister Proton thinks that it is because of the people in overstay. It is perhaps on the contrary to fight against these agencies? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marsupienemi said:

There was a time, not so long ago, I saw advertisements for agencies offering to "lend" the money you had to show to get the Retired Visa. From memory the price was 32,000 thb the first year and 16,000thb/year for renewal. Which makes it much more affordable.
But in a post, it is said that the government asks to have the sum available longer and Mister Proton thinks that it is because of the people in overstay. It is perhaps on the contrary to fight against these agencies? 

Thailand is not interested in foreigners with no money.

And IMHO that is fair enough. Many (all?) countries are not interested to have lots of foreign people in their country who are poor. And voters don't want to pay for those poor foreigners.

Lots of people understand this point from their home countries. No, we don't want those financial migrants.

But then the same people, living in Thailand, complain that Thailand has similar rules.

We are all foreigners in most countries in this world. That shouldn't be a surprise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1