Thai Navy ship sinks, bad weather in the south, major political defections: Tim Newton Today - Dec 19

webfact

TNT.jpg

Weather south of Bangkok dominates stories today with a Navy ship sinking and ferry services stopped to Samui, Pha Ngan and Tao. Political defections bolster public health minister's chances of becoming next Thai PM. Tesco under fire over 'forced labour' allegations.

Thanks to our sponsor 5 Star Marine in Phuket...
https://5starmarinephuket.com

Tim Newton Today is a daily, independent look at Thai and south East Asian regional news.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, realfunster said:

The sea didn’t look particularly rough in the video, I wonder if someone forgot to batten down the hatches ? Glad everyone got off the ship safely. 

Ridiculous assertion! No such thing would ever happen in LOS!

Dec 18, 2022 at 18:45

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2022/40521/thai-royal-navy-corvette-sank-gulf-siam/

Published Dec. 19, 2022 11:11 a.m

"As of midmorning, 75 sailors had been rescued and 31 were still in the water, the navy said."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/thai-navy-ship-sinks-rescue-underway-for-sailors-in-water-1.6200355

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, realfunster said:

The sea didn’t look particularly rough in the video, I wonder if someone forgot to batten down the hatches ? Glad everyone got off the ship safely. 

The seas have been brutal pass couple days, and up there with the worse I've seen since living here.  Though a ship that size, really shouldn't have problems.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

Everyone's a comedian on Aseannow.

Thairath currently reports there are still approx 30 crew members unaccounted for and a search effort is underway involving ships, Dornier aircraft and helicopters.

12 hours in the water; and of course the possibility some may have been below decks.

Yep. I knew when I seen the story that 80% of the comments would be nothing but scorn and ridicule. That's all it is now. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, itsari said:

All rather unusual for a naval vessel fall foul to bad weather .

Not unheard of when sails were used for naval power .

I just hope they find the 31 sailors missing .

It is not unusual for naval vessels to have incidents. Every couple years there is a major incident involving naval ships and submarines around the world. This wasn't a 400 million dollar boat like the Helge Instad was

LmpwZw

Intital reports this morning said that all crew had been rescued and accounted for, and that there were a few minor injuries.

Clealry those initial reports were inaccurate.

Now we'll have to wait further for accurate news, and a bit longer for the results of a full, transparent and complete investigation.

Hopefully the loss of life is none.

With ranges being reported of 28 - 31, the potential death toll from this disaster is horrible to consider.

Based on Thai reports, and the Defense Minister's (Prayuth) statements, it does sound quite a bit worse than initially reported.

2 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

It is not unusual for naval vessels to have incidents. Every couple years there is a major incident involving naval ships and submarines around the world. This wasn't a 400 million dollar boat like the Helge Instad was

LmpwZw

I think that one's a bit different. If I remember the news correctly they collided with another ship. The other one that sticks in my head is USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego that sank after an onboard fire.

But I can't recall any other naval ship sinking due to weather, and maybe I'm being naive but the Gulf of Thailand isn't the North or South Atlantic. How rough can it get??

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Thairath currently reports there are still approx 30 crew members unaccounted for and a search effort is underway involving ships, Dornier aircraft and helicopters.

And yet yesterday I was reading reports that all of the sailors had been recovered and were well.

Edited by jacko45k

Just now, VinnieK said:

Warships don't sink that easily 

People familiar with ships etc, might want to speculate on this one.            I'm not qualified 

The loss of engines would mean they were at the mercy of the waves rather than being able to head into them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Bizarre carryon and seems to be getting worse on this site. Clearly, there’s been a loss of life, likely young chaps. Don’t get the amusement in that. 

Yes, I agree. Mind you I also find it quite bizarre that the foundering of one of the country's warships seems to have no coverage on AN!

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I also find it quite bizarre that the foundering of one of the country's warships seems to have no coverage on AN!

It never appeared in BKK Post either.  

'A flagship Royal Thai Navy warship sank amid strong waves and high winds on Sunday, with dozens of sailors still missing on Monday.' 

This is from UK newspaper The Guardian.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Royal Thai Navy says the nine sailors found alive and one dead body discovered by an oil tanker in the Gulf of Thailand are not crew members from the HTMS Sukhothai which sank off the coast of Prachuap Khiri Khan province last night as widely reported in Thai media.

At least four boats sank in Thailand’s waters among four-metre-high waves and strong winds today and yesterday.