Serial killer The Serpent, Charles Sobhraj, to be freed from Nepal jail

webfact

30 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Charles Sobhraj and Marie LeClerk's move into Kanit House 504 in 1975 and make that their base to screen and entrap their victims..it was near patpong

Knocked down years ago, as was the house on Suk Soi 4 they used for it in the Tv series 

4 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

He's 84 for goodness sake.

Only being released so he can die

Take him out. Now. Today. He deserves that. The horrors he inflicted on countless families are unspeakable. No forgiveness. No mercy. No compassion. Only death, or a great deal of pain and suffering, is what he deserves. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

20 hours ago, pomchop said:

"good character".... a guy that killed people across the world with no remorse, escaped prison/jail over and over and was an amazing conman, crook, and murderer.....not my idea of good character but i do understand that nepal gets to decide.

I am not a fan of keeping very elderly people in prison, requiring jails  to have decent medical facilities, which are expensive. I presume he had good character while being a prisoner all those years. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Take him out. Now. Today. He deserves that. The horrors he inflicted on countless families are unspeakable. No forgiveness. No mercy. No compassion. Only death, or a great deal of pain and suffering, is what he deserves. 

I agree. An eye for an eye and all that. Then again, numerous other murderous nutjobs are let out in old age in our twisted society. Perhaps they saw change in him. 

The Serpent was one of the Beeb’s better dramas of recent times. Striking actors. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He was convicted and sentenced for two murders. I don't have a problem with the decision of the Nepalese court to release him after 19 years served, applying their laws as they see fit.

What doesn't sit well with me is that he wasn't even tried for most of his crimes. Other countries did a shameful job at prosecuting him, or failing to do so. Hello, Thailand. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Impossible to find any redeeming features in this guy. He appeared to have a 'chip on his shoulder' about the way he perceived he had been regarded/treated by others throughout his life. Why he returned to Nepal is baffling. I can only think he may have become bored, fearing the public interest in him was waning and/or craved some risk/challenge/excitement by tormenting the Nepal police?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Appalling this horrible monster is being let out of prison after killing many more than just the 2 people he was convicted of killing.   Also appalling that a 'life sentence' is only 19 years in Nepal.  If that's the case, the judge should have rulds that the sentences be served consecutively. 

On 12/22/2022 at 9:28 AM, zzaa09 said:

Serial killer.

Interesting to note what constitutes this classification these days. 

Since he likely killed 20 people I think he qualifies.  He was only convicted for 2.  He should have been tried for at least some of the other murders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Impossible to find any redeeming features in this guy. He appeared to have a 'chip on his shoulder' about the way he perceived he had been regarded/treated by others throughout his life. Why he returned to Nepal is baffling. I can only think he may have become bored, fearing the public interest in him was waning and/or craved some risk/challenge/excitement by tormenting the Nepal police?

Yes, likely bored, or possessed of such a degree of hubris, that he felt he was invincible. And obviously pathologically insane to boot. 

He needs to die. ASAP. 

• Thanks 1

I had friends living in Kanit House on Saladaeng and passed him more than once. Elegant, polite ......  nobody ever thought of him as a mass murderer. Quite the contrary, an educated Indochinese French. 

He managed to "slip away" while in Thai police custody while the Indian and Nepalese authorities kept him locked - at their taxpayers money - for 39 years; he's 78 years old now and spent half of it in governmental care. 

He should have been hung back in the Seventies already but Paris' police less "arrondissements" might take care of that. To all those identified and the non-identified victims a heartfelt RIP. 

• Love It 1

21 hours ago, Montnoveau said:

He is 78 and has spent the last 19 years in jail. He's lucky if the can get off the bed unassisted...

Poison, guns, you cant take the killer out of a savage like this guy. They dont even know for sure his total kill tally.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newnative said:

Since he likely killed 20 people I think he qualifies.  He was only convicted for 2.  He should have been tried for at least some of the other murders.

He served 20 years in prison in India and 19 years in prison in Nepal.

That's 39 years in prison. 

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

He served 20 years in prison in India and 19 years in prison in Nepal.

That's 39 years in prison. 

Yes, and that's not enough in my book for killing so many.  He should have died in prison without one day of freedom after ending so many young lives.

On 12/22/2022 at 4:08 PM, bradiston said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sobhraj

I was also in the Pudding Shop in Istanbul in 1969, at one end of the hippie trail, on my way to Kathmandu same year. In 1986, I stayed in Soi Ngam Duplee for a month or so, in Bangkok, hanging out around the Malaysia Hotel. There were a lot of Europeans there, many skint, a lot in prison, a lot of smack, a lot of casualties. Easy pickings for a guy like Sobhraj. Fear was your best friend.

I was in Koh Samui, Kathmandu and stayed at the Malaysia Hotel, all in 1979. I guess I'm lucky to be alive!

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.