Four illegally run pharmacies raided in Bangkok - caught dispensing "Tramadol" cocktail to youth

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption:  Fake Pharma!

Daily News reported that four pharmacies in the Bangkok area had been raided after complaints of illegal activity from the Food and Drug Administration.

The pharmacies were dispensing the powerful pain killer Tramadol along with cough syrup, anti-allergy meds and other pain killers.

These are used by young people especially to create a powerful and dangerous "high".

Tramadol - a yellow and green capsule - is usually restricted in quantity though it is an over the counter med, notes ASEAN NOW.

Police from the Consumer Protection Division seized thousands of bottles and strips of the medicines worth 200,000 baht.

Pharmacists in Lat Krabang, Bangkapi, Chatuchak and Bang Khen were charged with not having licences and dispensing dangerous drugs without a qualified pharmacist being present. 

The media said the drugs were mixed with narcotics on a "4x100" basis. 

Senior police and FDA officials announced the busts at a press conference at the Crime Suppression Division HQ in the Thai capital yesterday. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

My mother got some Tramadol once for an issue with her back, something to do with inflammation between two discs.

After a few days she threw it away and vowed never to take it again, she said she was 'all over the place' with it - it messed with her mind and she would rather have the pain than continue to take it.

A bit extreme I thought - surely there would be a lower dose to try instead of rejecting it outright but she was adamant and to this day has never touched it again even though she still has back pain issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wombat said:

always has been

I was under the impression it was a controlled drug. I've certainly been refused it in the past without a prescription. Not often, of course, TIT, but I was definitely told by pharmacists at the times that I either had to go to a hospital, or do without.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Pharmacists in Lat Krabang, Bangkapi, Chatuchak and Bang Khen were charged with not having licences and dispensing dangerous drugs without a qualified pharmacist being present

Not having licenses?

How in gods name do these places open up for business without attracting the attention of local officials?

Rhetorical.

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

Over the counter synthetic Opiods?

That's going to be a bigger problem than Yaba if this continues without restriction.

Nonsense, Tramadol is nothing like Yaba been taking it sporadically for years, helps with the pain of going shopping with the mrs! Seems impossible to get in Bkk except with paracetamol. It's a good painkiller and mood enhancer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

Nonsense, Tramadol is nothing like Yaba been taking it sporadically for years, helps with the pain of going shopping with the mrs! Seems impossible to get in Bkk except with paracetamol. It's a good painkiller and mood enhancer.

Opiates over the counter isn't a good idea. 

Self medicating is an early sign of addiction.

Get some help. 

Denial is your worst enemy. 

"Tramadol Addiction And Abuse"

https://www.addictioncenter.com/opiates/tramadol/

"Tramadol is a pain medication that carries a risk of misuse and addiction. However, it is generally safer than many other controlled substances."

https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/addiction-treatment-recovery/prescription/what-is-tramadol

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

Have you tried coming off it? I have and it is similar to coming off heroin. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

My mother got some Tramadol once for an issue with her back, something to do with inflammation between two discs.

After a few days she threw it away and vowed never to take it again, she said she was 'all over the place' with it - it messed with her mind and she would rather have the pain than continue to take it.

A bit extreme I thought - surely there would be a lower dose to try instead of rejecting it outright but she was adamant and to this day has never touched it again even though she still has back pain issues.

Similar to me when I took it for a broken rib. 

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Have you tried coming off it? I have and it is similar to coming off heroin. 

Not for me, only some people get addicted. Took valium in the 70's for 2 years just stopped. Was on prozac 17 years ago just stoped overnight, never any withdrawal symptoms for anything. Heroin I have no experience of.

9 minutes ago, proton said:

Not for me, only some people get addicted. Took valium in the 70's for 2 years just stopped. Was on prozac 17 years ago just stoped overnight, never any withdrawal symptoms for anything. Heroin I have no experience of.

I disagree, if you take Tramadol daily for 2 weeks, you will get withdrawals. 

• Like 1

I took a seat in the park one time and looked down and see used strip of tramadol on the ground in front of me. I'm thinking, hmm that is not smart. I look around and behind me are some teenagers, a few of them passed out on the bench. Then i notice some undercover cop eyeing them. Then he looks at me and smiles. Not sure what he did, probably sent them.

Needless to say a bad idea to experiment with drugs. You have to ask yourself what is wrong in someone life that they need to take drugs. Why do you augment reality so you can accept it?

You see this with alcohol, most people get drunk then have causal sex or meet someone. If causal sex is so great then why do you need to be drunk to get into it? It because it is not causal and your subconscious is giving you warning signs. 

Teenagers need to find out what makes them happy in life. If they take drugs, then they might just stop at that level and never progress to what is real.

Edited by Don Chance
  • Haha 1

On 12/24/2022 at 8:53 AM, webfact said:

These are used by young people especially to create a powerful and dangerous "high".

It's used by old people to control the pain of things like Rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic pain like knee, joint and muscle damage.  Unlike NSAID and other OTC 'pain killers' they don't destroy your kidneys or your liver.  Yes.  You need to control the minimum effective dose and be willing to quit using Tramadol occasionally (which means going through mild withdrawals) as opposed to keep upping the dose (stupid in the long run).
It's effective and useful, especially for those of us in the "elderly" category.

They should worry more about "young peoples" methamphetamine usage as meth is now plentiful and cheaper than dirt throughout Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Opiates over the counter isn't a good idea. 

Self medicating is an early sign of addiction.

Get some help. 

Denial is your worst enemy. 

"Tramadol Addiction And Abuse"

https://www.addictioncenter.com/opiates/tramadol/

"Tramadol is a pain medication that carries a risk of misuse and addiction. However, it is generally safer than many other controlled substances."

https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/addiction-treatment-recovery/prescription/what-is-tramadol

I used it for three year for a rotatory cuff tear that I refused to have surgery.

My minimum effective dose was 50mg/day.  Over time and based on the pain I'd go to 150mg/day.
But my average dose pretty much stayed at 50mg.  Over a three year period of time and daily stretching?  It healed. 

I cut the dosage to 50mg a day, prepared mentally for a few uncomfortable days, and quit cold turkey.
No need to list a bunch of links about withdrawal horror stories.  I understand the withdrawal symptoms as I first used it for long-haul Dengue Fever which was just nasty and lasted close to two years.  So I've withdrawn before.  It takes awhile for your brain to reset itself.  I used it; I didn't abuse it. 

Don't abuse it and it is useful.  Abuse it?  Well, then you deserve the hell of sever withdrawals that you'll eventually face.  No sympathy from me.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 12/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, lujanit said:

I suffer with sciatica, Tramadol is the only OTC medication that helps.  So it does have a legitimate place.  There appears to be some surgery that can ‘fix’ it.  My MIL had it and she ended up in more pain than before the surgery.  Back to hospital to remove the insert.  The hospital even charged her although it was their mistake.

At 78 I have fallen over 3 times this year.

The first time I was given Tramadol was as a pain killer after my first visit to the hospital, and it worked very well. But the side effects I felt were not so good. I would fall asleep at anytime and anywhere.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4398-5239/tramadol-oral/tramadol-oral/details

See also Warning section.

Nausea, vomiting, constipation, lightheadedness, dizziness, drowsiness, or headache may occur. Some of these side effects may decrease after you have been using this medication for a while. If any of these effects last or get worse, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

To prevent constipation, eat dietary fiber, drink enough water, and exercise. You may also need to take a laxative. Ask your pharmacist which type of laxative is right for you.

To reduce the risk of dizziness and lightheadedness, get up slowly when rising from a sitting or lying position.

Although I didn't suffer from the first 3, the last 3 got to me. Now when I am asked if I have any allergies the first is Tramadol and the second is penicillin but I can take streptomycin.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1