Brexit has cracked Britain’s economic foundations

webfact

12 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Even if that was true, surely the fact that we have less money out of the EU than we did in it answers that question?

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7886/

It is far too big to download here.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/316888/uk-eu-transactions/

This is just a selection of the 4,430,000,000 results (0.55 seconds) 

I am sure that in those results there are ample examples for both Brexiteers and Remainers to each say "I told you so back in 20.."

33 minutes ago, RayC said:

I disagree. Eastern European workers were not 'press ganged' into coming to the UK. On the whole, they came for the simple reason that their earnings were higher in the UK than their homelands.

That might have been the effect. Perhaps the rate was set too low?

No not press ganged but used as cheap labour, the good point was their home countries had to increase their salaries in-line with the U.K. salaries because they themselves started to suffer from labour shortages.

8 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No not press ganged but used as cheap labour, the good point was their home countries had to increase their salaries in-line with the U.K. salaries because they themselves started to suffer from labour shortages.

And maybe if the UK offered a minimum wage that was also a decent wage, they might have stayed in the UK.

36 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

An excellent description of how the market works. 

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And maybe if the UK offered a minimum wage that was also a decent wage, they might have stayed in the UK.

The biggest problem with the benefits system in the U.K. is 40% of people on benefits actually work, they work the minimum number of hours required to receive benefits but the employers also exploit the situation because they pay little or no tax or N.I to the government for part time workers. 
I am not sure if imported EU labour are entitled to similar benefits ?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The biggest problem with the benefits system in the U.K. is 40% of people on benefits actually work, they work the minimum number of hours required to receive benefits but the employers also exploit the situation because they pay little or no tax or N.I to the government for part time workers. 
I am not sure if imported EU labour are entitled to similar benefits ?

You should see the figures for Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit awards in respect of children resident in other EEA countries
Child Benefit claims under EC Regulation 883/2004 in respect of children living in another EEA member state (or Switzerland)

It was like Brucie Bonus 

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06561/#fullreport

as we can see in 2009 75% of all Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit awards in respect of children resident in other EEA countries were paid to Poland

In years 2010-2013 the combined other 26 EU countries was nothing compared to what Poland received

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

You should see the figures for Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit awards in respect of children resident in other EEA countries
Child Benefit claims under EC Regulation 883/2004 in respect of children living in another EEA member state (or Switzerland)

It was like Brucie Bonus 

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06561/#fullreport

as we can see in 2009 75% of all Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit awards in respect of children resident in other EEA countries were paid to Poland

In years 2010-2013 the combined other 26 EU countries was nothing compared to what Poland received

I have actually spoken to Polish people working in the U.K and claiming child support for a child living in Poland and their  reasoning was that they work in the UK and pay UK taxes and they are entitled to claim those child benefits

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7886/

It is far too big to download here.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/316888/uk-eu-transactions/

This is just a selection of the 4,430,000,000 results (0.55 seconds) 

I am sure that in those results there are ample examples for both Brexiteers and Remainers to each say "I told you so back in 20.."

I fear my limited lifespan may prevent me from checking all 4,430,000,000 results but I doubt many will show a positive opportunity cost for Brexit.

Even the most generous estimate of Brexit 'savings' (Johnson's £19bn/year) is dwarfed by the cost in lost output, £100bn/year (FT estimate).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have actually spoken to Polish people working in the U.K and claiming child support for a child living in Poland and their  reasoning was that they work in the UK and pay UK taxes and they are entitled to claim those child benefits

We were ‘stuck’ in the U.K. for 18 months due to Covid travel restrictions on movement, our son attended a U.K. school and I applied and received Child Benefit which I immediately cancelled on our return to Thailand.

The problem with the benefits system is they do not have enough staff to chase fraudsters and I am sure the people from Poland are not entitled to Child Benefit as their child is not resident in the U.K..

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Seems like a perfectly rational argument (assuming it's legal).

Postscript: Jumbo1968 says that this is now illegal post-Brexit?

Edited by RayC
New info
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

We were ‘stuck’ in the U.K. for 18 months due to Covid travel restrictions on movement, our son attended a U.K. school and I applied and received Child Benefit which I immediately cancelled on our return to Thailand.

The problem with the benefits system is they do not have enough staff to chase fraudsters and I am sure the people from Poland are not entitled to Child Benefit as their child is not resident in the U.K..

This was a few years ago pre Brexit and I do believe everything was above board and legal back then and E.U citizens could legally receive child benefits if their child lived in other E.U Countries and they paid U.K taxes , although  that wouldn't apply to people/child living in Thailand .

But they were paying UK taxes and that entitled them to child benefit

34 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The continuing reliance on food banks? 

In relation to this thread title , UK food banks have been gaining in popularity for the last 15 years , they have been getting more popular and usage  every year for 15 years , actually, last year was the first year that there has been a decrease in their popularity/usage .

How does that fit in with the thread title ?

5 hours ago, RayC said:

No one likes their income to be cut but isn't the example you describe simply an example of how a market economy works? Whether that is a good thing is another matter.

Brexit might solve the problem of wage deflation within the UK construction industry, but unless the concept of 'Global Britain' - which was a promised benefit of Brexit - is shelved it will be probably be transferred to another industry.

Let's be optimistic and assume a free trade deal is done with India. The UK market will then be open to Indian IT companies who will undercut the rate paid to UK workers.

Unless the UK becomes more insular, more protectionist and more command economy orientated, the market will dictate what is 'fair value'. Brexit has not changed that.

Plenty of UK companies outsourced tele marketing jobs to India years ago. Big fail! Banks and credit card firms lost both bags of revenue and clients. 

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Or maybe the government asking retired people to go back to work to sure up the dire labour shortages? 

It needs to be pointed out that the government is considering bringing back people who took early retirement , back into the workforce , those who took early retirement at 50 years old , its the people aged between 50 and 65 who are being encouraged to get back into the workforce , rather than those in retirement age , 65 years old +

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I would say it was exploitation of the EU workers, the worst thing that was introduced in the U.K. was the minimum wage, employers know that’s all they legally have to pay to anyone. 

Yet EU workers came in droves, happy to accept this dastardly treatment. Why? Well, perhaps it was because they were making triple the money they could make at home - often more.

This is the EU in action, driven by the lobbyists of the "global" corporations as another way to secure cheap labour, where they want it, which enables huge profits. This is a main reason for the EU to encourage smaller, poorer, eastern European countries into this club, even though the Euro does not suit most of them at all, economically. The EU "pillar" of free movement of people and services is not much about benefit to individuals, in fact it has damaged many of them. especially in the UK. 

What happens when they run out of new sources of cheap workers, I wonder??? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I don't think so.

15 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yet EU workers came in droves, happy to accept this dastardly treatment. Why? Well, perhaps it was because they were making triple the money they could make at home - often more.

This is the EU in action, driven by the lobbyists of the "global" corporations as another way to secure cheap labour, where they want it, which enables huge profits. This is a main reason for the EU to encourage smaller, poorer, eastern European countries into this club, even though the Euro does not suit most of them at all, economically. The EU "pillar" of free movement of people and services is not much about benefit to individuals, in fact it has damaged many of them. especially in the UK. 

What happens when they run out of new sources of cheap workers, I wonder??? 

Right. The UK is renowned for its protection of workers' right and the conservatives have made that the linchpin in their program. They're just keeping it a secret for now.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Plenty of UK companies outsourced tele marketing jobs to India years ago. Big fail! Banks and credit card firms lost both bags of revenue and clients. 

That's as maybe but plenty remain (HSBC for one): The IT industry covers a multitude of disciplines, many of which are not customer facing. Of course, no way of knowing, but I'd wager on a net transfer of jobs out of the UK.

In any event, it's all hypothetical. There is no sign of a trade deal being done with a large nation any time soon.

6 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Food bank use in 2008/2009     26, 000

food bank use in 2021/22          2.1 million

from the Trussell trust ,

Yes ,  food banks have steadily been growing in popularity since 2008 , and it was 2.5 million the previous year 2020/21 and down to 2,1 million last year, and BTW, those figures are for individual food packages handed out for three days worth of food , so its not 2.1 Million people its 2.1 million food packages , so its more like 200 000 people getting regular food packages 

Conservative overreach around the English speaking world is leading to a disaster for conservative run countries and will doom conservative parties into irrelevance.

Australia led the way, removing a climate change denying government which had also mishandled the covid vaccine rollout. The UK and the US are facing the same issues where excessive corporatisation of the economy is creating greater economic disparities between the rich and poor. Voters want action to restore egalitarianism and fight climate change. The ideologues, funded by big business to protect their own interests are finally starting to face the music. The propaganda isn't working anymore.

7 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Some of those EU countries did try Option A 1st before they were caught out

Option A was employing North Korean Slaves

North Korean forced labourers in the EU

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-8-2017-006243_EN.html

North Korea sends 'state-sponsored slaves' to Europe - rights group

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-northkorea-eu-slavery-idUKKCN0ZM1G5

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Conservative overreach around the English speaking world is leading to a disaster for conservative run countries and will doom conservative parties into irrelevance.

Australia led the way, removing a climate change denying government which had also mishandled the covid vaccine rollout. The UK and the US are facing the same issues where excessive corporatisation of the economy is creating greater economic disparities between the rich and poor. Voters want action to restore egalitarianism and fight climate change. The ideologues, funded by big business to protect their own interests are finally starting to face the music. The propaganda isn't working anymore.

Your propaganda isn't working either.