Buffalo blizzard: Storm turns city into 'war zone'

Scott

image.png

A severe winter storm that has swept across North America has left the city of Buffalo, New York, looking like a war zone, the state governor has said.

On Monday the city recorded 25 weather-related deaths, up from 13 on Sunday.

"This is a war with mother nature and she has been hitting us with everything she has" since Thursday, New York State Governor Kathy Hochul said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64096509

BBC.jpg

At least 26 people have died in the catastrophic snowstorm in Western New York, officials announced Monday, marking the blizzard as the region’s deadliest in at least 50 years.

Roads remain impassable and almost 10,000 people are still without power as the unrelenting storm is forecast to drop as much as a foot of additional snow, Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz said during a Monday afternoon news conference. Rescuers are struggling to free people trapped in their cars, while people stuck in shelters and nursing homes are running out of food.

Weather patterns caused by the movement of the Jet streams have nothing to do with Global warming.

A disrupted polar vortex, is caused by the jet stream as well. This is just natural weather occurring.

I am so sick of the climate change idiots blaming every weather event on mankind, or global warming

or climate change. That is all BS. pure and simple.

There have been severe weather events in the past 100 years. All to do with nature and not climate change. Oh and global warming,

may be nature caused by the way.

Plus there is evidence of trees in the arctic in northern Canada from 100s of years ago, that had nothing to do with 

mankind, but all to do with the earth warming itself up. This storm in the eastern states is just that a big Winter storm

caused by natural weather patterns.

• Thanks 2

Thanks to thaibeachlovers.  Climate change does exist, but there are posters and other people

who like to blame climate change on mankind, when a lot of it is from the earth.  jak2002003 

I have flown around the world a few times, so No it is not flat. Oh and the USA does get hurricanes every year

and even lots of tornadoes, also weather bombs and other weather events. Those weather events have

happened for all our life times. Global warming has happened in the past, did you not read my post? 

You could also google, trees found in the arctic, if you wanted to do a tiny bit of your own research.

As I stated I am sick of those who think that mankind is the only reason for climate change.

I also think that a hybrid vehicle is better than an EV, as it can get to any destination as long as there is fuel in the 

tank. Canada and the USA are very large countries like Australia and Russia and China, so EVs are pretty useless

unless you only go around your local area and do not travel on hot or cold days as the battery range is a lot

less than the lab range. Oh in cold weather the battery is likely not going to keep the charge as long either.

Getting the EV battery change is also very expensive, google how much the Tesla battery is worth, and the Tesla tires as well.

An off topic post about the "anti-woke" agenda has been removed.  This topic is about:

Buffalo blizzard: Storm turns city into 'war zone'

Some off topic deflection posts and replies have been removed.

Edited by metisdead

10 minutes ago, Tug said:

31 dead so far this unfortunately is expected to climb,from a city that is used to cold and snow extreme weather indeed sad…….

CNN cable TV interviewed a Buffalo resident who said she had never in her life seen such a blizzard.

On 12/27/2022 at 10:06 AM, BritManToo said:

You're wrong, it's all been caused by global warming.

Actually, @BritManToo, you are definitely a wrong, but both might be wrong. However the areas west of the Great Lakes are well known to receive some of the heaviest snows in the US yearly.
NO! It's not global warming, it's climate change and weather. You should look back in history.  And not rely on 

16 hours ago, Scott said:

Mark Poloncarz said the storm, the second of the season, was the "worst storm probably in our lifetime." 

and his life time. Unless he was living in the 1700, 1800 or 1900 hundreds or maybe even the 20th century.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:03 AM, Stargeezr said:

Weather patterns caused by the movement of the Jet streams have nothing to do with Global warming.

A disrupted polar vortex, is caused by the jet stream as well. This is just natural weather occurring.

I am so sick of the climate change idiots blaming every weather event on mankind, or global warming

or climate change. That is all BS. pure and simple.

Very impressive display. A hypothesis has been proposed amona climatologists that ascribes the divagations of the polar vortex to the decreasing temperature differential between the arctic regions and further south. 

And all you've got is "Weather patterns caused by the movement of the Jet streams have nothing to do with Global warming."

It's undeniable that the polar regions are warming faster than elsewhere on the planet. So please share with us why this temperature differential is irrelevant.

As for single events to climate change, I don't know about "climate change idiots" although perhaps that's a fair term for deniers of human-caused climate change although "ignoramuses" might be a better term, but climatologists don't ascribe any one event to climate change. What they do note are trends such as increasing frequency or increasing severity or both that correlate with the rise of greenhouse gases. Can you share with us your data that shows no such trends and correlations exist? I await your exposition with eagerness and interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 4:36 PM, Stargeezr said:

Getting the EV battery change is also very expensive, google how much the Tesla battery is worth, and the Tesla tires as well.

It's going to create havoc with the second hand car market. What dumb bell is going to buy an electric car when the battery will need changing.

Most people can't afford a new car, so if they stop petrol sales how are people going to get around- bicycle?

On 12/30/2022 at 12:11 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

Actually, @BritManToo, you are definitely a wrong, but both might be wrong. However the areas west of the Great Lakes are well known to receive some of the heaviest snows in the US yearly.
NO! It's not global warming, it's climate change and weather. You should look back in history.  And not rely on 

and his life time. Unless he was living in the 1700, 1800 or 1900 hundreds or maybe even the 20th century.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

We live in Western South Dakota so on the front end of the storm.

We never got the snow that pummeled the east, but it was the rapid temperature drop that was the killer.

I got to work at the airport at 0430, and it was -2°C. By 1100 it was -27°C with 50mph winds blowing horizontal snow.

Wasn't the best day of my life, but unlike the folks in NY I got home safely

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hadn't thought about that. No electricity, no car 555555555555555555555555555

If the roads aren't clear, you won't be using the car, any car anyway.  And hope you got 4X4.  If no electric, will the petrol stations be pumping petrol.

IF having solar ... really can't be that hard to keep the snow off your panels.  If installing solar in a 'snow' region, one would hope there was some fore thought & planning.  

If I lived in snow region, definitely have a solar generator or diesel generator as back up.  That uncommon common sense.  Certainly not rely on govt or utility companies that fail yearly with any inclement weather.

No different than here, as we made sure nothing casting shade on the panels, during any time of the year.  Though dust is a bit easier than snow when maintaining clean panels.????

No plan is always the best plan ... for failure 

Edited by KhunLA

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

No electricity, no gas pumps. 555555555555555555555555555

I wonder if the larger petrol stations have their own generators as a back-up.

Especially if they are prone to electricity cuts due to heavy annual snowfall?