What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

18 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Asteroid City dropped yesterday and I watched 10 minutes of it.

I couldn't get interested in it as it seemed a bit too much like sci- fi disaster Nope, on which I wasted an inordinate amount of time.

Its a pity though as Asteroid City stars Tom Hanks and Scarlett Johansson.

Asteroid City (2023) - IMDb

I agree, went straight in the recycle bin

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched a little gem last night from a couple of years back, called, "Last Night in Soho" and it starred the delightful Anna Taylor-Joy and Thomasin McKenzie as well as a couple of oldies, namely Terence Stamp and Diana Rigg and it was a good movie with a very unexpected ending.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

The Yankie versions usually never are IMO.

I thought Yankie was a BBC contributor, and that Yankee (what American Indians called the British) was an American. 

In the US "Yanks" are from the northeast. So, if you're in the south, when you meet someone from the north, you might say, oh, you're a yank? Well yank on this...

All that said, it is a shame how US movies and TV has all turned to crap. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

I watched this a while back and enjoyed it.

I've also watched the US 2023 version and thought it was OK, but wasn't as good as the BBC version.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7949212/

Cant find the British one, only the yank version, stopped watching after ep 5, its was ok but all layed on a bit too thick for me.

Documentary  'To End All War: Oppenheimer & the Atomic Bomb' was re-broadcast on MSNBC this week and is now available on some sites.

I found it extremely interesting as it is a prelude to the coming dramatized version of Oppenheimer (2023) - IMDb starring Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt and Matt Damon.

This movie was to premiere in NY later this month , but Universal cancelled The ‘Oppenheimer’ New York red carpet as actors strike kicked off - IMDb

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 8:15 PM, LosLobo said:

Hijack has climbed in ratings since before the first episode aired and IMHO is a must watch.

Obviously the IMDB Critics Reviews are unreliable and they tend to Initially misrepresent the true rating of a movie or series.

Originally I ignored this series until posted here.

But now I patiently wait every Wednesday for a new episode.

So thanks for that!

This forum is a wealth of information.

Just finished binge watching Eps 1 to 4 and thoroughly enjoyed it so far.  Thanks.

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

London Kills 2019

With a documentary style delivery, this drama tells the story of a team of top murder detectives with each episode featuring a different murder while also following a serialized story involving the lead detective’s missing wife----DC Rob Brady wakes up in his car with a witness lying dead next to him and is arrested on suspicion of murder; in his eagerness to clear Rob's name, DI David Bradford interferes with the investigation against DS Vivienne Cole's advice.

The forth in the series ---no one thought AcornTV (part of the BBC) would run with it again after the Disney / Hugo Speer sex scandal

Thanks for the heads up for season 4.

22 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Documentary  'To End All War: Oppenheimer & the Atomic Bomb' was re-broadcast on MSNBC this week and is now available on some sites.

I found it extremely interesting as it is a prelude to the coming dramatized version of Oppenheimer (2023) - IMDb starring Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt and Matt Damon.

This movie was to premiere in NY later this month , but Universal cancelled The ‘Oppenheimer’ New York red carpet as actors strike kicked off - IMDb

Thanks @LosLobo. Just watched it and I also found it very interesting. I got it from TGx. Looking forward to the dramatised version.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thumbs Up 1

I watched a movie that only had a 5.6 rating on IMDb, although I thought I'd give it a try, and was pleased that I did, because although it wasn't a magnificent film it was, IMO, better than the 5.6 rating it had been given.

The film was called, "God is a Bullet" and was supposedly inspired by true events, although the ending became a bit of a gorefest, but overall it was very watchable.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:36 AM, oxo1947 said:

London Kills 2019

With a documentary style delivery, this drama tells the story of a team of top murder detectives with each episode featuring a different murder while also following a serialized story involving the lead detective’s missing wife----DC Rob Brady wakes up in his car with a witness lying dead next to him and is arrested on suspicion of murder; in his eagerness to clear Rob's name, DI David Bradford interferes with the investigation against DS Vivienne Cole's advice.

The forth in the series ---no one thought AcornTV (part of the BBC) would run with it again after the Disney / Hugo Speer sex scandal

Very poor production standards, almost unwatchable.

About the same level as stuff made by/for Hallmark.

• Thanks 1