What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

11 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just finished watching season 1 of Clean Sweep and enjoyed it. From IMDB: Shelly Mohan is a regular mom who juggles the lives and schedules of three children and a husband who is a local detective

Maybe I was expecting a lot Mutt , because there has been some great stuff coming out of Ireland of late.... yer I didn't finish Clean sweep--disappointing.

17 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Today's News.....

'Daniel Ellsberg, a military analyst who after experiencing a sobbing anti-war epiphany on a bathroom floor made the momentous decision in 1971 to disclose a secret history of American lies and deceit in Vietnam, what came to be known as the Pentagon Papers, died on Friday at his home in Kensington, Calif., in the Bay Area. He was 92'.

Daniel Ellsberg, Who Leaked the Pentagon Papers, Is Dead at 92 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

As I recall little about this historical incident, a movie about the Pentagon Papers might be interesting to watch.

I suggest that a lot of the audience here including myself, whose number came up in the draft lottery at that time, would find the Pentagon Papers relevant to their past life.

There are half dozen movies on the Pentagon Papers available but The Post starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep seems to be the most popular.

The Post (2017) - IMDb

Has anyone seen the movie and can offer a quick review/opinion?

Thanks for the recommendation on this movie, and I watched it last night, I thought it was very good although IMO it started off a little confusing, but I soon got into it and found it quite intriguing, especially as it is based on a true story.

Meryl Streep was superb in it and probably the standout actor throughout, although Hanks went through it well.

As you've probably gathered, it was about the Washington Post and a decision to publish certain documents.

The movie ends with some flashlights being seen in the Watergate building........

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for the recommendation on this movie, and I watched it last night, I thought it was very good although IMO it started off a little confusing, but I soon got into it and found it quite intriguing, especially as it is based on a true story.

Meryl Streep was superb in it and probably the standout actor throughout, although Hanks went through it well.

As you've probably gathered, it was about the Washington Post and a decision to publish certain documents.

The movie ends with some flashlights being seen in the Watergate building........

You must be more patient than me.

I watched the first 30 minutes and yes it was confusing and a bit boring and that's where I gave up.

Perhaps I should have persevered as you did.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Thanks ... now you ruined the ending???????????? ????

Fear not, avid movie watcher, because that which I quoted as the ending has nothing whatsoever to do with the main movie, and it looks just like what it is, an add-on!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Fear not, avid movie watcher, because that which I quoted as the ending has nothing whatsoever to do with the main movie, and it looks just like what it is, an add-on!

Just prepping for the 'sequel' and the next DC embarrassment.   Sadly, never ending.  Plenty of scripts to be 'inspired' by true events.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Thanks ... now you ruined the ending???????????? ????

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Just prepping for the 'sequel' and the next DC embarrassment.   Sadly, never ending.  Plenty of scripts to be 'inspired' by true events.

Thanks .....now you ruined the .....warm fuzzy moment from the compliment of members being good and helpful with bringing politics into it.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Haha 2

Scandalous: Phone Hacking on Trial

Lime

A look at the bitter legal battle taking place for a decade over allegations of unlawful information gathering at some of Britain’s biggest newspaper groups.

On 6/17/2023 at 5:00 PM, LosLobo said:

Today's News.....

'Daniel Ellsberg, a military analyst who after experiencing a sobbing anti-war epiphany on a bathroom floor made the momentous decision in 1971 to disclose a secret history of American lies and deceit in Vietnam, what came to be known as the Pentagon Papers, died on Friday at his home in Kensington, Calif., in the Bay Area. He was 92'.

The Post is a wonderful film, totally re-watchable.

10 books to read if you loved The Post

https://ew.com/books/10-journalism-books-the-post/

A couple of other options:

PBS Documentary - Daniel Ellsberg: The Most Dangerours Man in America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlmQeSpqI4

The Pentagon Papers (2003 feature film) James Spader as Ellsberg is weird after Ultron and 10 years of Raymond Reddington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmnjCOVJrE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

The Post is a wonderful film, totally re-watchable.

I would agree with that comment, and as I've already posted, the slow start seems to have put a couple of posters off, but sticking with it is well worth the effort.

• Thanks 1

I saw the movie "Stargate" mentioned somewhere so I thought I'd download it and watch it again as I could remember nothing about it whatsoever, and it was a bit of ancient Egyptian/sci-fi nonsense and much to my surprise it would have to be the first LGBTQ (or whatever it is) movie from more than a couple of decades ago.

I say this because in the last quarter of the movie where the "gods" are revealed, then the cast of the "gods" and their helpers and servants looked to be of an indeterminate gender, and I wonder if this was intended? I can't recommend it as it was less than average IMO.

What I can recommend is a series on BBC iPlayer called, "Walking with Beasts"and each series is about 30 minutes long and absolutely brilliant, and the special effects are so very well done that you would think the series was shot in real life millions of years ago!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

I saw the movie "Stargate" mentioned somewhere so I thought I'd download it and watch it again as I could remember nothing about it whatsoever, and it was a bit of ancient Egyptian/sci-fi nonsense and much to my surprise it would have to be the first LGBTQ (or whatever it is) movie from more than a couple of decades ago.

I say this because in the last quarter of the movie where the "gods" are revealed, then the cast of the "gods" and their helpers and servants looked to be of an indeterminate gender, and I wonder if this was intended? I can't recommend it as it was less than average IMO.

What I can recommend is a series on BBC iPlayer called, "Walking with Beasts"and each series is about 30 minutes long and absolutely brilliant, and the special effects are so very well done that you would think the series was shot in real life millions of years ago!!

I can remember seeing that movie 'and much to my surprise' it had the first female bush I had ever seen on the big screen. 

I did notice the LGBTQ content but it was the other that made more of an impression on me.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2023 at 10:01 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

Black Mirror complete season 6 now available on TGx.

Also on TPB, 1337x.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085059/

I have never watched Black Mirror before but I watched the first episode of the new series last night.

I must admit that it definitely not mainstream and very different to anything I have watched before.

So thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I can remember seeing that movie 'and much to my surprise' it had the first female bush I had ever seen on the big screen. 

I must have missed that part!!!!

But if you really want to see a female bush, then watch the movie, "1984" with John Hurt, because towards the end of it when his GF/lover strips off, she reveals something akin to a Guardsman's Busby!!! Never seen anything like it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

But if you really want to see a female bush, then watch the movie, "1984" with John Hurt, because towards the end of it when his GF/lover strips off, she reveals something akin to a Guardsman's Busby!!! Never seen anything like it.

It's big it's black and it's hairy....and I like it ????

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Another vote for "The Black Mirror". 

Re-watched season one last night and loved it again. It is so refreshing to watch stuff that all you have to accept is the premise, after that everything is reasonably believable. Decent dialog and acting as well. 

I have to say I think S1 E3 is the best television I've seen in a good long while. Toby Kebbell was great. When do we get a "RocknRolla" sequel? 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 4:44 PM, xylophone said:

Possibly a Murkin.

• Haha 2

On 6/17/2023 at 5:00 PM, LosLobo said:

Today's News.....

Daniel Ellsberg, Who Leaked the Pentagon Papers, Is Dead at 92 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

As I recall little about this historical incident, a movie about the Pentagon Papers might be interesting to watch.

I suggest that a lot of the audience here including myself, whose number came up in the draft lottery at that time, would find the Pentagon Papers relevant to their past life.

There are half dozen movies on the Pentagon Papers available but The Post starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep seems to be the most popular.

The Post (2017) - IMDb

Has anyone seen the movie and can offer a quick review/opinion?

Thanks for that.  As a Tom Hanks fan I dont know how I missed this before.  Excellent story and performance by Hanks, Meryl Streep and even Bob Odenkirk.  I particularly liked the quote:  "The news is the first rough draft of history".

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

I've got no idea what a Murkin is, however I love the sound of the word, so it will fit for me!!

Noun. merkin (plural merkins) A woman's pubic wig. Worn for nude stage appearances and by women, originally after shaving their pubic hair to eliminate lice or for other reasons, now often as a fashion item.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Another vote for "The Black Mirror". 

Re-watched season one last night and loved it again. It is so refreshing to watch stuff that all you have to accept is the premise, after that everything is reasonably believable. Decent dialog and acting as well. 

I have to say I think S1 E3 is the best television I've seen in a good long while. Toby Kebbell was great. When do we get a "RocknRolla" sequel? 

Another vote for Black Mirror but for me the best Episode of Season 1 was the 1st one especially as Rory Kinnear came across as a lot like David Cameron at that time. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Another vote for Black Mirror but for me the best Episode of Season 1 was the 1st one especially as Rory Kinnear came across as a lot like David Cameron at that time. 

More and more, I find the acting and *dialog in the UK shows generally much better than the US show, and the actors often look and behave like actual people. 

*Of course, my exposure is pretty limited to how people in the UK talk. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1