What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

6 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I found Foundation Series 2 is just a shadow of Series 1 which did drift from enjoyable beginnings towards the end.

Series 2 is IMHO not worth watching.

I prefer season 2 over season 1. Probably because I'm reading the book again. Watching it weekly gives time to read along as the season progresses. They've changed it quite a bit, but the core ideas are still there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I prefer season 2 over season 1. Probably because I'm reading the book again. Watching it weekly gives time to read along as the season progresses. They've changed it quite a bit, but the core ideas are still there. 

I have never read the book, so I would not notice any changes. Perhaps doing so gives one more motivation to watch the series.

OK, this post is a tad cheeky, because it's about a show that I looked into and quickly decided NOT to watch.

With the mountains of possible things to watch, I'm sure all of us have our ways of filtering out shows to give a pass to.

52 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK, this post is a tad cheeky, because it's about a show that I looked into and quickly decided NOT to watch.

With the mountains of possible things to watch, I'm sure all of us have our ways of filtering out shows to give a pass to.

I’m quite enjoying Shrinking, I like the interaction between all the characters. I’m sure it won’t appeal to all. Just 30 mins at the end of the day is good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Feel good Hindi movie with English Subtitles, I liked it:-

777 Charlie  -  2022  -  Hindi  -  IMDB Rating 8.8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7466810/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_2_nm_1_q_777%20Charlie%20(2022)

Dharma is stuck in a rut with his negative and lonely lifestyle and spends each day in the comfort of his loneliness. A pup named Charlie enters his life and gives him a new perspective towards it.

Undoubtedly, Charlie is the frontrunner in making one watch the film. The story is simple and even predictable sometimes, but Charlie makes it beautiful with its lovely performance, especially in emotional scenes. Besides, Rak<deleted> Shetty justifies his role.

1350822746_Charlie777.JPG.b3808be911e500a9b7c6da0b31fde5b0.JPG

:smile:

• Like 1

Just now, Will27 said:

This one dropping now.

Joe attempts to balance her personal and professional life as the tip of the spear in the CIA's war on terror. She enlists Cruz, a Marine Raider, as an undercover operative in the Lioness Program.

There's an interesting review about ‘Special Ops: Lioness’ on The Hollywood Reporter website here.

Nevertheless I like Zoe Saldaña as an actress, so I'm downloading the first 2 episodes now. :wub:

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 4:01 PM, tlcwaterfall said:

I use Smart dns proxy every day.  Works with BBC Iplayer, all the Australian networks including Stan. Great service and cheap as chips.

Many thanks to you and to @gargamonand @recom273 for the feedback and advice/information, and I actually took Smart DNS on a month trial, after looking at all the others, and I did this mainly because I already had an account with them from years ago, and so far it has worked, but I have only had it for a short while, and the "proof of the pudding" will be when I get to watch something on BBC iPlayer, or indeed the rugby on Stan Sport.

After reading up on VPNs and smart DNS, it made me realise that a VPN was not what I was looking for and that Smart DNS or similar would do for what I wanted.

Onto movies – – I downloaded and watched one from a while back, called, "Into The Wild" about a guy who decides to explore and rough it in Alaska. I had seen it before, but as is often the case with movies like this, when watched again, it became clearer as to why he was wanting to do this.

• Like 2

For those who like documentaries about nature and similar, then the documentary on BBC iPlayer called, "The Witness is a Whale" is not only extremely interesting but also very sad.

Although I know many countries hunted whales in the past, many countries decided against it and ceased it, however Russia decided to carry on and lied consistently about how many whales it had slaughtered and this documentary is quite unnerving in uncovering the number of whales which it killed.

However it is not alone in that, because Japan was a hunter of whales, and just a few years ago decided to resume the hunting of whales, supposedly for "scientific purposes" which we know is a load of BS.

Trust the Russians – – not on your life, they are a bunch of lying and trustworthy bar stewards, and some, and they are proving it yet again with their invasion of Ukraine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

Trust the Russians – – not on your life, they are a bunch of lying and trustworthy bar stewards,

OOPS........Should have read "Untrustworthy", but then you probably already guessed that!

On 7/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, Will27 said:

This one dropping now.

Joe attempts to balance her personal and professional life as the tip of the spear in the CIA's war on terror. She enlists Cruz, a Marine Raider, as an undercover operative in the Lioness Program.

Seems like a great series based on first two episodes.

Another Taylor Sheridan series as was Mayor of Kingstown, 1883 an 1923, all very enjoyable.

Also stars Nicole Kidman

Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

in my opinion it comes nowhere close to being the best Western ever made, and I'm not saying these are the best, but for me they are certainly very good westerns

European director, that makes it an art film in the US.  Some Americans are suckers for anything with a European pedigree.  I guess I was too for a while.  Then my local art cinema hyped this French movie, which turned out to be lower valued made-for-TV tripe.  That was it for me.

Johnny Guitar: I've seen it a few times over the decades, each time it seems like a different movie.  Recently saw this vid of Scorsese talking about it, that had an effect. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently read that Americans that miss late night shows because of the STRIKE might want to check out the UK Graham Norton show. 

I am doing so. No verdict yet.

The late night shows I miss are the more political ones, Colbert and the Daily Show. But sometimes there also were great youtube clips from Jimmy Kimmel. 

So that suggestion might be more for people that miss the less political late night shows.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recently read that Americans that miss late night shows because of the STRIKE might want to check out the UK Graham Norton show. 

I am doing so. No verdict yet.

Watch more that a few 'spots' on YT, seems to be quite entertaining at times.  Other than those 'shorts', unfamiliar, and really don't do talk shows.  Usually boring & staged set ups.  May be different now, though doubtful.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Watch more that a few 'spots' on YT, seems to be quite entertaining at times.  Other than those 'shorts', unfamiliar, and really don't do talk shows.  Usually boring & staged set ups.  May be different now, though doubtful.

Daily Show isn't a talk show. You would hate Colbert because of his politics. 

On 7/23/2023 at 8:01 AM, gargamon said:

I read a lot of sci-fi in my youth. The foundation series(9 books?) was one of my favorites, and the main 3 books were read multiple times. Ringworld is coming too, another favorite series.

The Netflix adaption of The Three-Body Problem is coming in January 2024. A truly ground-breaking SciFi book series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lj99Uz1d50

(Yes, there is a 30 ep Chinese version.)

I reread Foundation a few years ago, when I heard HBO was working on it. I like the HBO series, so far. I mean it's challenging to adapt the books given the scope 550 years, entire known universe).

• Thumbs Up 1

About those late night shows mentioned. those along with news shows and some lighter documentaries can work as background tv leaving you free to do household chores, etc. Unlike series or movies where you really need to sit and stare at them. So far I think The Graham Norton Show probably will work for me as background tv. 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Daily Show isn't a talk show. You would hate Colbert because of his politics. 

Why I left my (probably) offending comments out, and didn't even quote that part ... ????