What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Then don't watch him (after the strike). 

I won't, nor will a lot of people. I think Tonight Show viewer numbers are off almost 50% from his debut. I think Jay Leno (who was actually funny) averaged 5M viewers a show, and Colbert is averaging around 2M. 

I'm glad you think he's funny.

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I've started watching "Blacklist", but it's seems to get stupider every episode. 

Stick with it for awhile, as I found it entertaining.  Watched all 10 seasons.

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recently read that Americans that miss late night shows because of the STRIKE might want to check out the UK Graham Norton show. 

I am doing so. No verdict yet.

The late night shows I miss are the more political ones, Colbert and the Daily Show. But sometimes there also were great youtube clips from Jimmy Kimmel. 

So that suggestion might be more for people that miss the less political late night shows.

Check out Seth Meyers, if he ever gets back on.  Political satire-wise, he's on Colbert's level.   Gave up on Daily Show but started dropping in when they were shuffling hosts. 

Don't care for any of the Jimmys.

These days I'm watching old SVUs from the first seasons.  Man, they had some ugly actors in them, and they brought in models to (try to) act to balance the cast out. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, xylophone said:

I saw the movie, "Once Upon a Time in the West" mentioned somewhere so I decided to download it and watch it, and it has been described as "a 1968 epic Spaghetti Western film directed by Sergio Leone….considered the best Western ever made in the history of cinema".

I only watched it 'cos my cousin reportedly banged Claudia Cardinale, then allegedly hurt his ankles jumping out of her bedroom window when her bf returned unexpectedly at that time. The best bit about the movie was her sweating a lot.

How the west was won, The Searchers, Wild Bunch, Unforgiven, Outlaw Josey Wales, the Hunting party, Ballard of Cable Hogue and many others all far better.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Watched 'Lioness'  (2 eps) and enjoyed it despite bad reviews and unrealistic portrayals of women in the military.

Watched 'Justified' (2 eps) and also enjoyed it.

We also watched it last night, was sickened by the unnecessary graphic torture scene, maybe Taylor Sheridan is trying to re establish himself after the mess that was Yellowstone three and the last Kingstown which was also not very good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dark Pale

Jim Gaffigan has done a lot of specials. 

I think this is one of his better ones.

It is a bit darker than before, but it's Jim Gaffigan so there are limits. 

I was laughing out loud numerous times but I was stoned. 

• Like 1

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2, episode 7

This was a surprise over the past weekend, episode involves the ST-based cartoon "Lower Decks."  Posting this because I think some may have missed it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2, episode 7

This was a surprise over the past weekend, episode involves the ST-based cartoon "Lower Decks."  Posting this because I think some may have missed it.

Yea, confused the hell out of me ... then was entertaining enough.  Being completely different was a plus.  Though once was enough.

Was watching reruns of Justifed, starring Timothy Oliphant as US. Marshal Raylan Givens and came across a new series called Justified: City Primeval, in which Oliphant reprises the same character.

Just watched first three episodes and its shaping up to be pretty good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, phetphet said:

Was watching reruns of Justifed, starring Timothy Oliphant as US. Marshal Raylan Givens and came across a new series called Justified: City Primeval, in which Oliphant reprises the same character.

Just watched first three episodes and its shaping up to be pretty good.

Too much dialogue between Tim and his real life daughter. Like he wants to showcase her, so it started to get boring for me.

I enjoyed this one.

Sam is a true Kansan on the surface, but, beneath it all, struggles to fit the hometown mold. Grappling with loss and acceptance, she discovers herself and a community of outsiders who don't fit in but don't give up.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Too much dialogue between Tim and his real life daughter. Like he wants to showcase her, so it started to get boring for me.

I enjoyed episode 1, but not having Walton Goggins means it will never be as good as the original IMO.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I enjoyed episode 1, but not having Walton Goggins means it will never be as good as the original IMO.

Talking about Walton Goggins :

If anyone missed this I can recommend, stars Danny McBride and WG as, the title suggests, a couple of Vice Principals battling for the Principal’s job in a High School.

Starts off as friendly rivalries but things soon get out of hand !!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I enjoyed this one.

Sam is a true Kansan on the surface, but, beneath it all, struggles to fit the hometown mold. Grappling with loss and acceptance, she discovers herself and a community of outsiders who don't fit in but don't give up.

This is one of my favorites this year. I recall mentioning it myself here before, but I could be wrong. In any case, what a delight!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

I recently watched the 2011 movie, The Lincoln Lawyer and thoroughly enjoyed it, which prompted me to binge watch season 1 of the current series of the same name. great TV and I'm waiting until season 2 is completely on line to watch it. Written by Michael Connelly, who created Bosch, another binge worthy series.

I really enjoyed season one, but the wheels fell off for me in season two. 

19 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I recently watched the 2011 movie, The Lincoln Lawyer and thoroughly enjoyed it, which prompted me to binge watch season 1 of the current series of the same name. great TV and I'm waiting until season 2 is completely on line to watch it. Written by Michael Connelly, who created Bosch, another binge worthy series.

I haven't seen the LL movie, but I enjoyed season 1 of the series. Bosch was also very good IMHO.

• Like 1

Last night I decided to watch one of my favourite movies, "Live by Night", even though it only got IMDb score of 6.4!!

Ben Affleck, Chris Cooper, Sienna Miller, Zoe Saldana and Brendan Gleeson star in this movie about gangsters in the prohibition time in the US, and I have always found it entertaining, hence watching it again last night! Quite why it didn't get a higher score on IMDb is puzzling, however some critics have said that it lacks the, "oomph and raw edge" to be able to take it to the next level.

All the same, still one of my favourite movies!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

how babies were thrown into the year and impaled on bayonets

Should have read, "into the air".............having some problems with my voice recognition software, esp now that my sinuses are playing up!! Sorry about that.

Perhaps dropping the H Bombs on them was necessary in order to stop these atrocities.

Season 2 of  C'est comme ça que je t'aime out now.

TPB

This is a really good show.

Sorry, couldn't find a trailer with English subs.

In a quiet suburb of Quebec City in 1974, two couples in crisis realize that their relationships are falling apart. Infidelity and betrayal are exposed and a sequence of unexpected events will transform both couples into murderers.

• Thanks 2

On 7/26/2023 at 11:45 AM, Rimmer said:

We also watched it last night, was sickened by the unnecessary graphic torture scene, maybe Taylor Sheridan is trying to re establish himself after the mess that was Yellowstone three and the last Kingstown which was also not very good.

Didn't see it, I always FF through 'torture' scenes.

Not something I want to see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gargamon said:

Oh no. Another (likely) bad Nicholas Cage movie is available. Who's going to play guinea pig and watch it. Been burned too many times by Cage in the past.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21991654

Guinea pig posting!!!!! I watched this Nicholas Cage movie and expected good things because it had a 7.4 IMDb rating (must have from his family and friends). BUT it was a poor movie and I almost switched it off halfway through because Nicholas Cage was boring and the movie premise was one I had seen before on a couple of other movies....but I stayed with it and wasted 90 mins of my life.

Much of the movie "action" takes place in a car with Cage overacting badly. But if you want to see a good movie which takes place in a car, then watch "Locke" starring Tom Hardy, because it is great!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

Guinea pig posting!!!!! I watched this Nicholas Cage movie and expected good things because it had a 7.4 IMDb rating (must have from his family and friends). BUT it was a poor movie and I almost switched it off halfway through because Nicholas Cage was boring and the movie premise was one I had seen before on a couple of other movies....but I stayed with it and wasted 90 mins of my life.

Much of the movie "action" takes place in a car with Cage overacting badly. But if you want to see a good movie which takes place in a car, then watch "Locke" starring Tom Hardy, because it is great!

Thanks. Better you wasted the time than me. I was thinking about the last Nicholas Cage movie I saw that was watchable. Can't seem  to find it. Cage had the ability to replay time and modify his actions to achieve the result he was looking for. Maybe someone else can identify it. 

• Like 1