What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

34 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Will27..... your recommendation---Can you remember the name of the German TV program based on Fact --about the Guy who had to defend some people in the town that was accused of mass pedophilia.  Great show--and I want to recommend it someone , but the old grey matter didn't retain the name--

Or if anyone else can help........ Thanks

Is it this one? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13116888/

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

I have watched it several times It is a great movie, everyone should make a point of watching it.

It's also on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=judgement+at+nuremberg+full+movie+1961

Agree with your comments entirely Rimmer, and something I meant to add in my post: – when I first started work at the age of 15 we had a German guy working at the place and I had seen some footage on the television about the concentration camps and the horrors therein, so I asked him about it (yes I know, probably not the best thing to do, but was young and stupid) and he said that the German people knew nothing about those camps.

Now that was the very same argument that was proposed in the film by the german defence counsel, however was "shot down" by Richard Widmark, and many years later I read an article which followed that argument, and not only did it mention some of the things/events as spoken by Richard Widmark, it added to the "argument", by adding in the fact that many German people in the cities and towns were responsible for turning in the Jews to the Nazis, so they obviously knew what was going on, and for me the same thing was noted in both arguments – – the trains, the railheads, the herding of many hundreds if not thousands of people must have been seen by others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, xylophone said:

I watched a truly remarkable film last night, which I was able to pick up from BBC iPlayer, and it was called, "Judgement at Nuremberg".

It has been described as: One of the most Powerful Films ever made.

It has been three years since the most important Nazi leaders had already been tried. This trial is about 4 judges who used their offices to conduct Nazi sterilization and cleansing policies. Retired American judge, Dan Haywood has a daunting task ahead of him. The Cold War is heating up and no one wants any more trials as Germany, and Allied governments, want to forget the past. But is that the right thing to do is the question that the tribunal must decide.

It was made in 1961 and covered the Nuremberg trials of 1947, and I won't spoil the ending for you, because it was quite remarkable what was posted at the very end of the movie.

Aside from that, the acting was excellent, with great performances from Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster and Maximilian Schell (who put in a truly remarkable performance). Also included in the cast were Richard Widmark, Marlene Dietrich and Judy Garland, to name but a few.

If you have never seen it, then you are missing a masterpiece.

Thanks @xylophone. I'll be watching that today on iPlayer.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

The Continental: From the World of John Wick  --- 3 parts starts today.

IMDB  8.8........... (if that means anything)... I haven't seen it......just an alert.........:coffee1:

Set in 1970s New York City, The Continental explores the origin of the iconic hotel-for-assassins centerpiece of the John Wick universe seen through the eyes and action of a young Winston Scott.

Thanks for the heads up @oxo1947

Edited by Mutt Daeng

On 9/21/2023 at 11:10 PM, xylophone said:

It was made in 1961 and covered the Nuremberg trials of 1947

The movie was in theatres while the Eichmann trial was going on, a weirdly strange coincidence.

That movie made Maximilian Schell's career, from then on he nearly always played a Nazi or Jew.  He did an unfortunate version of Hamlet, which MST3k ridiculed.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053888

He is in a movie called The Man in the Glass Booth that deals with an aspect of the Holocaust rarely portrayed in films, the outcome is not as predictable as the title makes it sound.

• Thanks 1