What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

"Despite this disgraceful history, Los Angeles was also at the forefront of the struggle to end racial covenants—a story that connects to the historic neighborhood of West Adams Heights, commonly known for many decades as Sugar Hill. 

Non-Caucasians were restricted from owning or leasing property in West Adams Heights as far back as 1902. When the covenants began to expire in the 1930s, some, but not all, property owners signed agreements renewing the restriction on Non-Caucasians. In 1938, Blacks finally broke the color line in this neighborhood when businessman Norman O. Houston, one of the founders of Golden State Mutual Life Insurance, purchased a home in the area at 2211 S. Hobart Boulevard. Houston waited three years to move in, fearing a backlash from his white neighbors. Once he did move in, other members of the Black elite followed, including actresses Louise Beavers, Ethel Waters, and Hattie McDaniel. (Ms. McDaniel was the first African American to be awarded an Oscar when she won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in 1939’s Gone with the Wind.)"

Lessons in Chemistry set @ Sugar Hill

image.png.1fea68e734bbab8e319201d5e19e4329.png

I stand corrected.

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I stand corrected.

You're not far off, as I was going to agree with you, but then thought I'd check first, where the series is set.  Quite surprised myself, though it is/was a HiSo neighborhood in Calif.   Book set in NY.

I grew up in a mixed neighborhood, sort of.  Late 50s/60s, but it had a definitive border, and strange as it was.  1 side of street, white, other side, black.  Us poor whites, lived on the 'other side of the tracks', which was only 1.5 block deep.  Better off whites, then the RR (4 track lines), poor whites (1.5 blocks, <200meter) then all black beyond.

Not until. 80's, many places the same, and this was NE, USA, not the south, where the divide was still obvious is some places (2000).

I could tell you stories, but off topic enough already.

On topic ... Yea, I have the same problem when watching series & movies, when woke is unrealistic.  Can usually tolerate most of it, if not too silly and movie/acting is well done.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've just started watching season 1 of Het Gouden Uur (The Golden Hour).Set in the Netherlands, it's a crime drama about a detective of Afghan descent who investigates a terrorist attack where the suspect is a childhood friend. It's good so far IMHO. It was recommended by @Will27 earlier in this topic. I got it from 1337x.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15554596/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just started watching season 1 of Het Gouden Uur (The Golden Hour).Set in the Netherlands, it's a crime drama about a detective of Afghan descent who investigates a terrorist attack where the suspect is a childhood friend. It's good so far IMHO. It was recommended by @Will27 earlier in this topic. I got it from 1337x.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15554596/

Cheers, for the reminder -  I think im omitted to add before - even tho I mentioned its got Pencil from Mocro Mafia.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just finished watching season 1 of Bodies and it was good IMHO. It was initially brought to my attention by @Will27 and mentioned by a few other posters earlier in this topic. I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18347622/

We are watching that now, up to episode three, quite good 😉

We just finished watching Payback, lots of twists and turns, a few plot holes but overall very good 

• Like 2

I watched, "A Haunting in Venice" a couple of nights ago and found it to be good, not exceedingly so, but good enough to keep my attention for the duration.

Loosely based on the novel by Agatha Christie, it had all the twists and turns, plots and subplots associated with that particular writer, plus a few more added I think, to add to the mystery.

Overall, pleased with it and IMO a good movie to pass a quiet evening.

20 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Forgot to mention that I have downloaded a movie which seems to have slipped through the net and been released without fanfare, so to speak, because I've not seen mention of it anywhere, however it's called, "The Sound of Freedom" and stars Jim Caviezel, whom I've always liked, so I will watch that over the next few nights. 

“ Sound of Freedom “ is full title if you cannot find it, my streaming site ( fmovies ) isn’t smart enough to find it if not exactly correct title 🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Forgot to mention that I have downloaded a movie which seems to have slipped through the net and been released without fanfare, so to speak, because I've not seen mention of it anywhere, however it's called, "The Sound of Freedom" and stars Jim Caviezel, whom I've always liked, so I will watch that over the next few nights. 

Thanks for the heads up on this one, I have it on my to watch list but did not pick up it was around.

Took me just 6m from seeing your post  just now to get it down from TPB

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Slow start, but picks up toward the end.  Also a fan of 'JC' ... enjoyed 'Person of Interest'  Worth a watch if haven't seen the series, and will keep you busy (103 eps)

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, giddyup said:

Watched first episode last night, but showing a black family living opposite where the chemist was living? In the 1950's US, I doubt it. The show is mildly entertaining, not sure it deserves the high score it gets.

You need to watch more of it to find out the white chick is living in a black neighborhood in fear of losing their house so the city can build a freeway project

12 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

You need to watch more of it to find out the white chick is living in a black neighborhood in fear of losing their house so the city can build a freeway project

Gave it away half way through episode 2, too much romance for me.

On 11/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, giddyup said:

Watched first episode last night, but showing a black family living opposite where the chemist was living? In the 1950's US, I doubt it. The show is mildly entertaining, not sure it deserves the high score it gets.

I love it.  The central character is riveting and her daughter delightful.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2023 at 7:05 PM, LosLobo said:

The first episode of season two just dropped....

The Gilded Age (TV Series 2022– ) - IMDb

I hate Julian Fellowes, the writer.  He has copied the UK series 'Upstairs and Downstairs' and written a couple of series set in UK.  Now he's repeated the format in US.  I'm jealous because I can't get a sniff of an agent as I am not from the Aristocracy and 81.

I don't know if it has been mentioned here before but Hidden Strike starring Jackie Chan and John Cena has been released.

It is a Chinese produced action/adventure/comedy and if you don't mind mindless action with a lot of guns and explosions and a bit of comedy thrown in... give it a look.

image.png.3b9c8e1edcbf5a322db023c943338e60.png