Retirement Extension - Switching from using an agent - experiences?

I have used agents to secure extensions but am thinking about doing it myself this time. Have had >800k in a Thai account in my name for the entire year. My last extension through an agent was at CW. Has anyone had any experience of switching from using an agent to doing it personally? Any issues with the IO at CW wanting to not provide such extensions? My TM30 and 90-day reports are all up to date. Any experiences particularly at CW would be most welcome.  

2 minutes ago, gilo said:

Have had >800k in a Thai account in my name for the entire year

That's a bonus as you have met the financial requirements that that io will check when you apply for next extension.

It's unusual that the stamps using agent would have been issued at CW. 

Assume that your 90 day reports have been done with CW immigration.

Think it's possible. 

You can apply for extension at CW 45 days early and suggest try that and worst case plan B would then be border run and visa exempt entry and apply for non O and subsequent extension. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's a bonus as you have met the financial requirements that that io will check when you apply for next extension.

Assume that your 90 day reports have been done with CW immigration.

Think it's possible. 

You can apply for extension at CW 45 days early and suggest try that and worst case plan B would then be border run and visa exempt entry and apply for non O and subsequent extension. 

Thank you. Very useful advice. I will apply early and see how things pan out. You are spot on that getting it done by an agent at CW was not easy. Only one was able to assist me the rest were going to be places I have hardly heard off let alone visited such as stamps issued in Nan and Yasothon! I know that the stamp was definitely issued there as I had to go to CW in person with the agent for photos etc. 

13 minutes ago, gilo said:

I had to go to CW in person with the agent for photos etc. 

Usually extensions are obtained "up country" places such as KK etc.

Thinking you will be fine having had the funds in bank for the year.

Your fall back plan will be fine. 

You could consider using an agent for just assistance.

Meaning you provide the banking records along with bank letter etc and they just deal with immigration.

That would not be expensive.

Perhaps 6k thereabouts.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I used an agent for OA extension, left Thailand and let my extension go away. Came back visa exempt and did my O visa and extension myself, no problem.

Yes indeed as posted here.

"You can apply for extension at CW 45 days early and suggest try that and worst case plan B would then be border run and visa exempt entry and apply for non O and subsequent extension"

Definitely apply yourself since you've had the Bt800K in a Thai bank for 12 months.   It's so easy....just a few short/easy forms to complete/provide.  Also, make an appt to avoid the long queue....you can renew up to 45 days early at CW.    You'll probably be done within 1 hr after checking in for your appt. 

Then take the agent-fee money you saved and go buy something nice for yourself or someone else.   Happy New Year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Definitely apply yourself since you've had the Bt800K in a Thai bank for 12 months.   It's so easy....just a few short/easy forms to complete/provide.  Also, make an appt to avoid the long queue....you can renew up to 45 days early at CW.    You'll probably be done within 1 hr after checking in for your appt. 

Then take the agent-fee money you saved and go buy something nice for yourself or someone else.   Happy New Year.

For those who, like the OP, can meet the necessary extension of stay requirements, the use of agents is IMHO only justified for the really challenging things in life - like renewing your passport if you're a Brit, or obtaining the necessary visa to enable your Thai spouse to accompany you on a trip back to your home country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

For those who, like the OP, can meet the necessary extension of stay requirements, the use of agents is IMHO only justified for the really challenging things in life - like renewing your passport if you're a Brit, or obtaining the necessary visa to enable your Thai spouse to accompany you on a trip back to your home country.

Obtaining a visa for your spouse or gf is a simple application on line, no guarantees an agent will swing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you meet the requirements, by all means do it yourself. I thought the process would be too difficult, so for my first "retirement" visa, I used an agent. She messed it up which cost me more than 40k baht overall. I then went to the embassy in Bangkok and asked them what the correct process was. They told me, "We don't do that here so go away." I replied, politely but firmly, "I am staying until someone explains the details of the process," which they reluctantly did.

t's very simple, and unless you have a physical impairment preventing you (or you have more money than sense), go for it yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 7:14 PM, DrJack54 said:

When did this happen? Last I heard many years ago was that physical presence was required for photo, but all the other details, or lack thereof to be more precise, were the same. Wasn't hand holding.

Edited by mokwit

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

When did this happen? Last I heard many years ago was that physical presence was required for photo, but all the other details, or lack thereof to be more precise, were the same. Wasn't hand holding.

I tried a number of agents last year where I specified that I wanted it done at CW. Only one agent was able to do it all the others were only able to secure the extension at provincial offices. So last year I went with the agent to CW (I did not provide any financials) but had a photo taken in CW and the agent handled everything else. The previous extension had been done in Kalasin. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, norbra said:

I did this some years back,the IO checked where my non O visa was issued and looked for a corresponding TM30

i had to do a TM30 during last year and paid the 2000 baht fine but that put my correct Bangkok address into the system and so that along with the 90 day reports all lined up for my Bkk address before doing this year's extension. One of my previous extensions was done in Nan, a province I had never heard of let alone visited lol. 

3 hours ago, gilo said:

I tried a number of agents last year where I specified that I wanted it done at CW. Only one agent was able to do it all the others were only able to secure the extension at provincial offices. So last year I went with the agent to CW (I did not provide any financials) but had a photo taken in CW and the agent handled everything else. The previous extension had been done in Kalasin. 

A year ago, a couple of agents were able to do it at CW, with you attending for the photo (VIP queuing) but other requirements flexible. The cost when lacking financials was about 3,000-5,000 baht higher than if willing to go with an up country extension. News I have heard within the last month is that retirement extensions at CW through an agent are not currently possible at CW. The situation there is changeable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:06 AM, gilo said:

have used agents to secure extensions but am thinking about doing it myself this time. .... Have had >800k in a Thai account in my name for the entire year. .... Any experiences particularly at CW would be most welcome.  

Not CW for me but Chaing Rai. No problem at all. No questions asked, even though the previous agent extension was out-of-province. Smooth and trouble-free.