Anutin Downplays Covid Regulations for Chinese Visitors

snoop1130

21 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Making AZ vaccine available to Chinese visitors - good plan.

Now about the first booster shot I have been waiting 10 months for...

"Cannot, foreigner!"

Every thursday the local hospital or clinic (depending on numbers) has Covid jabs free. All welcomed.

• Thanks 1

I suspect that sometime in February, after a massive influx of infected Chinese tourists come in for Lunar New Year, and Thais whose vaccinations have worn off succumb to the virus, what we will hear from Anutin is:

"Nobody could have seen this coming"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Sinovac vaccines from China were the only game in town in February 2021 at a time when no other vaccines were available in Thailand. It wasn't great but there is no question it saved some lives, let's not knock Chinese covid vaccines too harshly.

Staying indoors also saved lives, as did masks, living up a tree and putting one’s head in a paper bag. The latter was more useful than the Chinese vaccines. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

Staying indoors also saved lives, as did masks, living up a tree and putting one’s head in a paper bag. The latter was more useful than the Chinese vaccines. 

The WHO and the rest of the world disagrees.

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/the-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/04/19/how-chinas-sinovac-compares-with-biontechs-mrna-vaccine

Anutin is the person who had the responsibility of safeguarding the lives of Thai citizens.

He gave them Sino Vac and Pharm

Now he claims no special restrictions on Asian tourism are Necessary

I  reaaalllly hope that Buddhism is real.  He will come back as an insect. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, itsari said:

China has a population of one point four billion people , the percentages are small at 9000 deaths compared to other countries in Europe such as italy and the UK with populations in the 60 million region in the early stages of covid .

That's 9,000 per day, not in total. Italy's death toll was under 1,000 per day at the peak.  Regardless, the likelihood that the true death rates are being reported by the Chinese government are remote to say the least.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

That's 9,000 per day, not in total. Italy's death toll was under 1,000 per day at the peak.  Regardless, the likelihood that the true death rates are being reported by the Chinese government are remote to say the least.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

I have to read it out to you . If you calculate percentages the deaths at 9000 in China it  is far fewer than in Italy or the UK at the outbreak of covid .

Just now, itsari said:

I have to read it out to you . If you calculate percentages the deaths at 9000 in China it  is far fewer than in Italy or the UK at the outbreak of covid .

The calculations is deaths as a percentage of cases, not of the population!

And,

The number of deaths being reported is not at all reliable.

"The counting method does not correspond with WHO guidance, and results in a figure that is way below the death toll in many other countries".

https://www.bbc.com/news/59882774

• Like 1

15 hours ago, seajae said:

once again we see them making money more important than the lives of thais,  

Nonsense! I seem to remember Thailand locking down the whole country, for 2 years, destroying too many businesses to count and wrecking the economy. They were most concerned about the lives of Thais. You don't see most Thais are still wearing masks.

Yes, this is a big problem with Chinese tourists, but don't bash Thailand just for the sake of it. For example, Thailand has 1/7th the covid death rate of the US. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Sinovac vaccines from China were the only game in town in February 2021 at a time when no other vaccines were available in Thailand. It wasn't great but there is no question it saved some lives, let's not knock Chinese covid vaccines too harshly.

Although the UK was administering Covid Vaccines from 8th December, 2020.... I recall Thailand, for some miserly reason, failed to get orders in for Pfizer and AZ.. they were hoping a domestic supply of Az would be available but ultimately it was delayed, postponed, failed etc. China came up with supplies but there was also some pressure to buy them (more expensive than Pfizer).... the government was risking lives due to corrupt pressures.  

I dispute that Sinovac was the only game in town... it was a much derided source too, even then.

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Although the UK was administering Covid Vaccines from 8th December, 2020.... I recall Thailand, for some miserly reason, failed to get orders in for Pfizer and AZ.. they were hoping a domestic supply of Az would be available but ultimately it was delayed, postponed, failed etc. China came up with supplies but there was also some pressure to buy them (more expensive than Pfizer).... the government was risking lives due to corrupt pressures.  

I dispute that Sinovac was the only game in town... it was a much derided source too, even then.

Yes I agree with most of those reasons. But it doesn't change the fact that when Thailand finally decided to buy vaccines from overseas, Sinovac from China was the only realistic option available to them. This is because they had waited so long to place an order and the alternatives such as Pfizer would have meant waiting even longer.

I am not excited to see the hordes of Chinese tourists.  Hopefully they don't start traveling much before my trip to angor wat is past and I'm back in USA. 

Such a large population with no immunity or effective vac is a perfect breeding ground for a new problem variant to arise. 

What will Anutin say upon the first in flight death from china?  Still no issue folks.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2022 at 7:55 PM, nigelforbes said:

Compared with individuals vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, recipients of Sinovac-CoronaVac and Sinopharm were 2.37 (95% CI, 2.29-2.46) and 1.62 (95% CI, 1.43-1.85) times more likely to be infected with coronavirus disease 19, respectively, while individuals vaccinated with Moderna were 0.42 (95% CI, 0.25-0.70) times less likely to develop severe disease

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

Compared with individuals vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, recipients of Sinovac-CoronaVac and Sinopharm were 2.37 (95% CI, 2.29-2.46) and 1.62 (95% CI, 1.43-1.85) times more likely to be infected with coronavirus disease 19, respectively, while individuals vaccinated with Moderna were 0.42 (95% CI, 0.25-0.70) times less likely to develop severe disease

Blah blah blah! My reply was in response to your remarks that, "living up a tree and putting one’s head in a paper bag. The latter was more useful than the Chinese vaccines". No those things were not more useful. As much as you may wish to bash the Chinese and their early vaccines, they did save lives at the time, not as well as other Western vaccines did subsequently but that was later.

13 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Can you post citations that Sinovac saved some lives in Thailand.  The CCP have admitted their vaccines are useless against covid which is why they now import anti-covid meds from the west.  Pfizer to be exact.

Post a citation that Sinovac saved at least one life in Thailand.....get real. You can waste your time on that, not mine. On second thoughts, try this, I just happened to have it to hand. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/07/13/which-covid-19-vaccine-saved-the-most-lives-in-2021

Edited by nigelforbes

15 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Can you post citations that Sinovac saved some lives in Thailand.  The CCP have admitted their vaccines are useless against covid which is why they now import anti-covid meds from the west.  Pfizer to be exact.

I was skeptical about that statement but a bit of research gave it some credibility.....eg Link. I think the word 'useless' is an exaggeration, at 50% effective it has some use. It would be useful to know how that effectiveness performs against latest strains... one would not expect inactivated virus vaccines to do as well in that arena. I would like to see something more modern on this.