Drunk drivers in Thailand may face stiffer penalties

snoop1130

Mandatory Interlock system for the drivers vehicle with mandatory alcohol intervention classes for the driver and then 30 days of assisting the families of the innocent killed by a drunk driver.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_interlock_device

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 2

A new year and the same old empty threats rear their ugly heads yet again.

When are these people going to realize that actions speak louder than words. 

Until they start releasing actual footage of devastated DUI miscreants being marched off to start their prison sentences then these so called stiffer penalties will never be taken seriously.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And presumably any foreigners caught would be deported and blacklisted after jail... sad for any wife and kids left behind but a serious deterrent!

It's jail time in my country for anything above 0.15.

There is a solution. Too many are being killed on the roads by drunk drivers. That's far worse than any stupid farang leaving his wife and kids stranded.

• Like 1

The jails here are well overcrowded as it is. My BiL had a report to jail date for whatever offence he did this time and they told him to go away and come back in 30 days, due to no room at the jail. I have to say that my BiL is a seasoned criminal with jail time for attempted murder, drugs, gambling etc and not a first timer.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Mandatory Interlock system for the drivers vehicle with mandatory alcohol intervention classes for the driver and then 30 days of assisting the families of the innocent killed by a drunk driver.

This would work in a normal country and is very effective. But TIT, do you see them apply that? I was thinking about an alcohol lock system in their 30 year old pick ups and than bursted out in a big laughing to misunderstanding of the GF.

7 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Thailand is one of the few countries that doesn't have random breath tests I guess if they did the jail's would be full

Oh but they do. Have encountered many breath tests' at Pattaya police checks over the past few years.  (normally on the railway Road).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Thailand is one of the few countries that doesn't have random breath tests I guess if they did the jail's would be full

Au contraire.... they have the check-points where they breathalyse drivers - unfortunately, these are in predictable locations at predictable times and are seen as nothing more than a ‘money maker’ with the police amassing bribes on the spot fines. 

The UK on the other hand does not have ‘random’ breath testing.... the Police have to have a reason to pull over a driver - i.e. driving erratically, weaving, not staying in lane, speeding etc...  the difference in the UK is that there is no flexibility whatsoever, if you are caught DUI you are in trouble, no if’s or buts, whereas Thailand the BiB enable the continued behaviour by accepting bribes - money speaks here. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You've never drunk drove ever ? Sometimes accidents arent the direct result of alcohol. 

• Like 2

the problem is not penalties it is lack of effort by police on detection, penalties are almost useless if a drunk driver believes the chances of getting caught are next to zero unless of course they have an accident but it's too late then and of course then we have a drunk driver that flees the scene of an accident - the other issue, penalties for leaving the scene should be just as severe as drunk driving itself

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I hope this includes foreigners who drive home by car or motorcycle from a favorite bar stool after a session of pontificating!! 

it should include anyone and any type of vehicle 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harsh Jones said:

You've never drunk drove ever ? Sometimes accidents arent the direct result of alcohol. 

Does not matter people should never drink and drive those that do should get high fines and those that are involved in an accident mandatory jailtime.

Stiffer penalties means higher bribes needed to escape justice.

Most farang in the Pattaya area know that 200000 gets you off there and then under most circumstances. 

And take note. I did not say i agree with this state of affairs

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kenchamp said:

Stiffer penalties means higher bribes needed to escape justice.

Most farang in the Pattaya area know that 200000 gets you off there and then under most circumstances. 

And take note. I did not say i agree with this state of affairs

Then it still works as it costs more to get away. I also dont agree but if higher punishments results in higher bribes then in a way its extra punishment and maybe some of those idiots will learn.

Drinking and driving is just selfish and puts others at risk.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, IvorBiggun2 said:

No need for Thais to drink drive to put others at risk. Just the day to day standard of driving is enough.

Right the standard excuse of expats i drive better drunk then Thais do sober. Its not like i have not heard that one before.

• Like 1