Drunk drivers in Thailand may face stiffer penalties

snoop1130

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Right the standard excuse of expats i drive better drunk then Thais do sober. Its not like i have not heard that one before.

Are you putting words into my mouth? I never said anything like that.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ozz1 said:

Thailand is one of the few countries that doesn't have random breath tests I guess if they did the jail's would be full

New Year’s Eve cm , drove up to a police checkpoint santitham/siphum area breath test and the police box was full of mostly foreigners yammering and whining ????????????. No money, go to jail situation. I laughed because it makes me feel good to see stupid get busted for illegal.

Edited by novacova
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, novacova said:

New Year’s Eve cm , drove up to a police checkpoint santitham/siphum area breath test and the police box was full of mostly foreigners yammering and whining ????????????. No money, go to jail situation. I laughed because it makes me feel good to see stupid get busted for illegal.

Yep. Twice in the last two months I have been through very professional blocks in Bangkok. No escape. Every single driver in every lane breathylised, and permanent cameras set up capturing everything - capturing the tests, and also set up at the desk for processing people caught.  No idea what the punishments are / were.  I have been here a long time but seems they are finally getting serious about this. Long may it continue.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

Stiffer penalties means higher bribes needed to escape justice.

Most farang in the Pattaya area know that 200000 gets you off there and then under most circumstances. 

And take note. I did not say i agree with this state of affairs

I think you added a zero, as far as I know the going rate is 20,000 not 200.000

12 hours ago, blackshadow said:

are you talking about a female who comits murder??

Non native speaker here with a bad spellcheck please forgive me its still early in the year ill do better. But at least i dont drink and drive.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, snoop1130 said:

Deputy Government Spokesperson Rachada Dhnadirek said that, under the amended traffic law, once convicted of drunk driving an offender faces a maximum one-year prisonsentence and/or a fine of between 5,000 and 20,000 baht for the first offence.

And they expect this to change attitudes?

17 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yep. Twice in the last two months I have been through very professional blocks in Bangkok. No escape. Every single driver in every lane breathylised, and permanent cameras set up capturing everything - capturing the tests, and also set up at the desk for processing people caught.  No idea what the punishments are / were.  I have been here a long time but seems they are finally getting serious about this. Long may it continue.

Where in Bangkok were these checkpoints and at what times?

On 1/2/2023 at 7:33 AM, Watchit said:

I prefer the old days in Thailand where you could do what you liked.

Many a night i didn't know how i got my bike home. Even used to get waved at by the cops as i rode pass the bar they were in. 

So does any antisocial selfish fool who has no regard for anyone else....