Is it time for you to face reality and LEAVE ?

Social Media

2 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Damn.

Didn't know Phuket has do much brazen crime against farang

I lived in a small Isaan village for a number of years. Wasn't personally affected by crime, though there is a fair bit of Thai on Thai crime (violent and financial).

And whole lot of other socioeconomic problems (drugs, drink, gambling) which did affect us a bit.

Isaan cities offer a bit more civilization (I think), more comfort, and it's a different world from just an hour away out of town in the boonies.

I do prefer Bangkok for work, education, and all the things a cosmopolitan city has. And I have never seen even so much as a scuffle, never mind crime.

Thailand does have a lot going for it over the West: less PC <deleted>, more sensible LGBTQ community, no extreme left-wing politics, more attractive women, relatively safer streets (I think), less unsavoury migrants, pleasant interactions with people mostly.

Though, it does have it's pitfalls: too hot most of the year, bad air pollution, destroyed nature, fake people, racism, bad food n drink, deadly roads, difficult government ministries to deal with (immigration, work) etc etc

That said, I do think a blend of both would offer the best of both worlds.

Negative on some of Thailands things that are not completely true and yet you give it a broad brush and make it as completely true. Have you ever traveled outside of Pattaya and Bangkok. Apparently not.

You posted:

"Though, it does have it's pitfalls: too hot most of the year, bad air pollution, destroyed nature, fake people, racism, bad food n drink, deadly roads, difficult government ministries to deal with (immigration, work) etc etc"

The nature in many areas are unspoiled, the beaches uncrowded, never seen a fake person, food is great and so are the people,the air pollution is only bad in certain locations (current PM 2.5 here in PKK is 2 at the house with blue skies birds singing etccccc.) and then no issues with the government ie. Immigration or others. YMMV, but your very misinformed.  On the other hand the US has turned into a feces hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, proton said:

Don't think they are mostly sex addicts, personally I would rather have a good dump, more enjoyable ????

What is the difference between good Sex and a good Dump?

You don't have to cuddle and kiss the turd for 10 mins afterwards. ????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Negative on some of Thailands things that are not completely true and yet you give it a broad brush and make it as completely true. Have you ever traveled outside of Pattaya and Bangkok. Apparently not.

You posted:

"Though, it does have it's pitfalls: too hot most of the year, bad air pollution, destroyed nature, fake people, racism, bad food n drink, deadly roads, difficult government ministries to deal with (immigration, work) etc etc"

The nature in many areas are unspoiled, the beaches uncrowded, never seen a fake person, food is great and so are the people,the air pollution is only bad in certain locations (current PM 2.5 here in PKK is 2 at the house with blue skies birds singing etccccc.) and then no issues with the government ie. Immigration or others. YMMV, but your very misinformed.  On the other hand the US has turned into a feces hole

Firstly, these are my experiences and opinions. Yours may be different. It's impossible to draw fact from this topic; we are talking about a subjective thing.

The only factual thing I mentioned was the air quality. I just checked the air quality map.

For Thailand most places are getting a score of 100 or more (orange). Some places are even dark red and purple, lol. Whereas in my home country vast majority of places are getting a score of less than 20 (green).

These are facts. See the difference?

You also may not have read my post in detail enough to see that I lived in Isaan for a number of years, both village and city (in addition to Bangkok). And no, I haven't stayed in Pattaya.

I use a broad brush because from my experience living in and working in (various parts) of Thailand most of my adult life, this is my experience. There are few exceptions, though I have found them.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

15 hours ago, Henryford said:

Go home to England with temps at -5 C, 10,000 baht monthly electricity bills, beer 200 baht a pint and apartment rents 40,000 a month. No women under 60. No thanks.

To be fair, if you're of State Pension age you get free bus travel in England between 09.30 and 23.00. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Damn.

Didn't know Phuket has do much brazen crime against farang

I lived in a small Isaan village for a number of years. Wasn't personally affected by crime, though there is a fair bit of Thai on Thai crime (violent and financial).

And whole lot of other socioeconomic problems (drugs, drink, gambling) which did affect us a bit.

Isaan cities offer a bit more civilization (I think), more comfort, and it's a different world from just an hour away out of town in the boonies.

I do prefer Bangkok for work, education, and all the things a cosmopolitan city has. And I have never seen even so much as a scuffle, nevermind crime.

Thailand does have a lot going for it over the West: less PC <deleted>, more sensible LGBTQ community, no extreme left-wing politics, more attractive women, relatively safer streets (I think), less unsavoury migrants, pleasant interactions with people mostly.

Though, it does have it's pitfalls: too hot most of the year, bad air pollution, destroyed nature, fake people, racism, bad food n drink, deadly roads, difficult government ministries to deal with (immigration, work), no social security, etc etc

That said, I do think a blend of both would offer the best of both worlds.

Just for info: The vehicle keying events were all by locals at the beach who see any parking spaces as their personal property, not to be used by farangs, even if they are all empty....one was done whilst I was less than 20 feet away.....it's supposedly an incentive to use high priced taxis/local cars. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I have a mate who lives in Jomtien. We have been comparing prices and finding that prices for food in the downmarket street food stalls are approx double in Pattaya compared to Jomtien. A meal in Pattaya now costs around 120 to 150 baht and is about half that in Jomtien. The food in Pattyaa north is much more expensive than pre covid and rising fast it seems.

Last night I bought grilled mackerel and fish cakes in a street food place in a bus park just up 500m from soi 6 on road 2. Both were 150 baht.

Haha, seems a naive post.  Twice as much in Pattaya?  In fact, it may be just the opposite. 

Why don't you take some photos of the "meal" with price compariosons to prove your claim.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 6:28 AM, Negita43 said:

Yes that's what I try to do but at 79 the travel is getting more difficult and the cost is rising significantly and I have to keep the flat at 15C for the insurance. Renting out sounds a good idea but I live in Scotland and the law favours the tenants there - time for some difficult decisions, but deciding not to have residence in the UK has huge implications for bank accounts, credit cards etc.

Same here! I'm from England but I've heard horror stories of tenants and lazy/incompetent agents. Plus, I've had a house abroad destroyed by tenants and had to pay all the bills they didn't (bypassed meters after disconnection etc.) plus two legal bills totalling $50,000 USD. First was from a bent Notary who charged triple the going rate for processes not undertaken and for 'successful' ones that had actually failed. My house in England has been unoccupied and locked up for 6 years. I don't have contents/buildings insurance of course.   

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Go home to England with temps at -5 C, 10,000 baht monthly electricity bills, beer 200 baht a pint and apartment rents 40,000 a month. No women under 60. No thanks.

This is a good point.

You really have to be able to afford to live there.

I wouldn't do it if I didn't own my own property.

Well, there's always Thailand trips for the women and a warm up half the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Temps -5 ... be real, how many days a year is this? 

10,000 baht electricity bill ..... my last one (nov) was 131 pounds, in June my bill was 34 pounds

beer 200 baht a pint,.... its just over 3 pounds in County Durham. .... At the supermarket you can get 10 big cans of spectled hen for 73 p a can.

rents ..... cant comment but defintely higher in UK

no women under 60 .... at my age it does not matter.

Never say Never

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I thought this was my home, lived here eons, my kids grew up here, I split from my wife here, my home here, my possessions here, everything.

Then in 2020 I had a long stay in the UK for unplanned reasons and realised I actually liked it, I liked having english as the first language, I liked the ease of life, and the weather was not nearly has bad as I though it was in my youth (this may be true!). I had the advantage of owning a home there so settled down again.

I now do about 5 months in the UK, 4 months in Greece (family) and the rest here at this time of year.

My favourite of them all, the UK over Greece and here 3rd!!

Never say never (I did and now eat my words)

Exactly

When you say Thailand isn't that great, people say things like, "Get off your barstool; try leaving Pattaya"

But really, it's the guys that have had a serious life here that are realizing it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

The guy's who are in love with Thailand are most probably just long term tourists (retirees) and never really tried to lived seriously in Thai society.

Edited by 2009
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's a sad sight and they either have a problem or it's the only social activity they have.

Maybe they like a quiet beer.

Maybe they want to have their drink and be home mid afternoon.

Is it better to be out drinking at midnight?

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would say the opposite, 

As you enter your 60s your pensions start paying out, and you never need to worry about money again. 

I think you mentioned that your pension is not transportable? If it's not a personal intrusion I'd be interested to know why? I assume it's a UK pension? In Oz, they are transportable but some might need to wait 2 years. If it's a personal question, please don't reply.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I think you mentioned that your pension is not transportable? If it's not a personal intrusion I'd be interested to know why? I assume it's a UK pension? In Oz, they are transportable but some might need to wait 2 years. If it's a personal question, please don't reply.

Not me, and I still (officially) live in the UK. 

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I thought this was my home, lived here eons, my kids grew up here, I split from my wife here, my home here, my possessions here, everything.

Then in 2020 I had a long stay in the UK for unplanned reasons and realised I actually liked it, I liked having english as the first language, I liked the ease of life, and the weather was not nearly has bad as I though it was in my youth (this may be true!). I had the advantage of owning a home there so settled down again.

I now do about 5 months in the UK, 4 months in Greece (family) and the rest here at this time of year.

My favourite of them all, the UK over Greece and here 3rd!!

Never say never (I did and now eat my words)

Talked to several people who always went to Spain (and islands), then went upmarket to Italy and didn't want to go anywhere else until they discovered Greece and her islands.  

• Haha 1