Is it time for you to face reality and LEAVE ?

Social Media

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Negative on some of Thailands things that are not completely true and yet you give it a broad brush and make it as completely true. Have you ever traveled outside of Pattaya and Bangkok. Apparently not.

I'd be genuinely interested to know your level of commitment to integrating into Thai society.

You seem to still be in the honeymoon phase.

• Haha 2

Is the vid a comedy sketch ... about drunks that can't afford to live in TH, or apparently anywhere.  Keeping themselves medicated while waiting to die and end their misery.  

Time to leave ? ... doubt if they can afford the airfare.

Life's choices ... ????

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Why don't you pop over to Indonesia. ????

Nothing wrong with Indonesia. Been with women in multiple locations there. Drinking ok too, although a bit more restrictive than Thailand.

They don't like Americans much though. I guess this applies in many different countries. I went to buy a sim card in Jakarta and the staff at the shop were standoffish and gruff, until I gave them my Canadian passport for id. Then they were all smiles and friendly. Even apologized saying they thought I wad American. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I went home because of number 4, but even if I had to use a big bucket of water instead of a bum gun, and I had to live on fried rice I'd have stayed if I'd had enough for the 800,000 in the bank AND health insurance.

BTW, the guy obviously never had a tilac in a village if he thinks a big bucket of water is enough to make one go home, LOL.

As for drinking too much, so what? As long as the guy isn't a problem drunk, so what if he wants to drink himself to death?

BTW, if a guy hasn't enough to live in Thailand he definitely hasn't got enough to have a better life back home. At least it's warm in Thailand and the totty is better looking.

At Thai prices for beer most could probably afford to live here if they gave up drinking. They'd be better off in Angeles City if they want to drink themselves to death.

27 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Nothing wrong with Indonesia. Been with women in multiple locations there. Drinking ok too, although a bit more restrictive than Thailand.

They don't like Americans much though. I guess this applies in many different countries. I went to buy a sim card in Jakarta and the staff at the shop were standoffish and gruff, until I gave them my Canadian passport for id. Then they were all smiles and friendly. Even apologized saying they thought I wad American. 

Yes I guess Indonesia was OK but they have just passed reasonly  new laws on relationships.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Yes I guess Indonesia was OK but they have just passed reasonly  new laws on relationships.

Not a big deal. Police cannot instigate an enquiry without a complaint from a family member.

Pretty much, socially, as it was before.

34 minutes ago, gargamon said:

???? Thailand has a population of about 70 million. Indonesia 4 times that. How many young women do you think there are in Indonesia.????

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Not a big deal. Police cannot instigate an enquiry without a complaint from a family member.

Pretty much, socially, as it was before.

???? Thailand has a population of about 70 million. Indonesia 4 times that. How many young women do you think there are in Indonesia.????

I guess the place is OK but not for me it get to feel a bit weird having Muslims around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess the place is OK but not for me it get to feel a bit weird having Muslims around. 

Yeah, no interest in living in a Muslim country.

Maybe for a while it you money was good (e.g. middle east), to stay there for pleasure? Nah.

I did stay in Info for a few months with my EX, but it ain't any better than Thailand.

57 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

At Thai prices for beer most could probably afford to live here if they gave up drinking. They'd be better off in Angeles City if they want to drink themselves to death.

Yeah, I'd say the average guy here spends a fair few grand (dollars) a year on booze alone.

Then, the women, even more expensive ????

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

2nd best rum after Havana Club Blue Label. I say go mad and have one on your birthday too.

This is Stroh 80 which is 80 proof rum, oddly enough made in Austria.

If I could get it in Thailand I would much prefer "Pusser's" rum as issued to the Royal Navy before "Black Tot Day" (31 July 1970)

"Black Tot Day" (31 July 1970) was the last day on which the Royal Navy issued sailors with a daily rum ration (the daily tot).

We used to get it sometimes in the RAF in extremely cold weather. 1 bottle in a 5 gallon urn of cocoa.

https://pussersrum.com/

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Yeah, no interest in living in a Muslim country.

Maybe for a while it you money was good (e.g. middle east), to stay there for pleasure? Nah.

I did stay in Info for a few months with my EX, but it ain't any better than Thailand.

Yes best I had ever earned was in Saudi and Qatar,  both very differently places to work though.

Had a run in with the PLO in Qatar working at one building site. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Having extensively studied booze prices across Asia ..........

Cambodia, if you want to drink yourself to death in bars.

Philippines, if you want to drink yourself to death home alone.

Thailand if you want to smoke cannabis all day.

In Vietnam 10 years ago beer was 0.50c US. It's about that In Cambodia in bars during happy hour iirc.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

By 'serious life', are you taking about all the poor western foreigners that try to scrape a living here (unqualified schoolteachers)? IMHO best not to arrive until you've made enough money to live for the rest of your life.

Some of us have degrees in the subject we teach, a PGCE, and have good jobs at top-tier schools, actually.

But I wasn't just referring to careers. I was meaning guys who go married, or had a family, or moved to live in traditional community.

These are the guys who experience a different side of Thailand, rather than the guys that are just on a long term holiday who don't know the real Thailand.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Some of us have degrees in the subject we teach, a PGCE, and have good jobs at top-tier schools, actually.

But I wasn't just referring to careers. I was meaning guys who go married, or had a family, or moved to live in traditional community.

These are the guys who experience a different side of Thailand, rather than the guys that are just on a long term holiday who don't know the real Thailand.

I don't think being on a long term holiday (retirement?) and knowing the real Thailand are necessarily mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your funny. Integrated into Thai society by marrying a Thai and having a half Thai daughter, learned the language, I read the local papers, I watch the Thai news and the only interaction I had with another foreigner the first 10 years I was in the outer Issan province of Udon Thani, Nong Saeng, was when a friend would pop in and we would play checkers once a week.  Father in-law was a Phu Yai, BIL was a Police Lt. Col.  Neighbor was the local Thai Post manager. I involved myself in my community worked on projects with the locals and helped where I could.  12 years later I divorced, but still keep in touch with the family as I have a half Thai daughter.  I have lived on Phuket (in Rawaii and Chalong to be exact), Lived in Chiang Mai, Lived in Udon Thani towards Wang Sam Mo, and then towards Nong Bua Lamphu, Lived in Nonthaburi then moved to Bangkok Where I own a Condo, I also split the time between it and PKK where we have a house here in Southern HH/Pranburi. Far from the honeymoon phase I do believe, and after many of extensions of stay for a Non Imm-O and O-A, went and obtained the new LTR-WP 10 year visa, so no more online 90 day reports for me which were pretty eeasy to do as well as going to CW also painless, now I have a multiple entry in and out for the life of the Visa, and as we travel all over the country and in and out life is good.  I have properties in the US that I rent out and will never tire of Thailand like you seem to have.  Some folks let bad experiences define them, others like myself and those I know let it roll and moved on.  Life is too short to be bitter, I retired at 52, still had my own company which I have just closed.  Enjoy, you sound like someone who can not let the past go and move forward.

Well done.

You certainly did a lot to try to assimilate and have most distinguished relatives and neighbors. Kudos.

I gave quite a fair and balanced list of things I like about Thailand and also what I dislike.

Wouldn't say I am bitter about anything. I just don't bury my head in the sand and I am open to new possibilities.

But for some expats, they've made their bed here.

I was never married in US, never had son or daughter, my only remaining siblings are estranged to the point of hostile, so moving back to the US would be an extreme relocation for me.

So barring that extreme , I have the best of both worlds: 12 months in Thailand and 0 months -- except for the occasional 2-3 week visit -- in US for me.

Any UK citizen thinking of returning to the UK for health reasons (NHS)?

From BBC news today

Some A&E departments are in a "complete state of crisis", the Royal College of Emergency Medicine has said, as it highlighted the extreme pressures facing the NHS this winter.

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

What always intrigues me are those that protest too much about any perceived criticism 

On the other hand, most of us don't have lives so dull we have to hang out in another countries forum.

When I left the UK, I stopped posting in UK forums.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1