British woman ‘may never walk again’ after fall from resort balcony in Thailand

webfact

31 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:
3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I appreciate your big effort on building up excuses, but it did not work. I am far from perfect, but I do look where I walk and do not play on balconies with low railing in a drunk state, as this probably has to do with. That, my friend, does not make me perfect. However, it makes me rather smart.

Smart people tend to have more open minds my friend

Smart people also tend not to think the ability not to fall off a balcony makes them rather smart !!! ????

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The average height of the Watussi tribe male is over 6 feet during early adulthood. Should all balconies in Thailand be upwards height adjusted, in case one of the tribe decides to visit? 

Yeah, that would be a good place to start. Better too high of a rail than too short. And that would provide some future proofing too as the height of Europeans continues to increase as well as that of many Asians.

The additional cost of a higher rail during new construction would be minimal and retrofitting would not be too expensive as in most cases all it would take would be attaching an additional rail higher up. Plenty of metal fabricators in the Kingdom.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Photos showed how the balcony of the property was secured only by a low wooden bannister rail.

From what I see in the photos the balcony is concrete made to resemble wood. So not actually wood.????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Smart people also tend not to think the ability not to fall off a balcony makes them rather smart !!! ????

That was egoistic Richard. Jumped on the trend talking about yourself, I can read.

Edited by Gottfrid

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

He also gave us Gottfrid to victim blame and blame everyone except Thailand or anyone Thai.... 

Its not the Thai’s fault that the balcony rail was 40cm high... it was the woman who didn’t use her eyes or common sense to accompany the use of her eyes.... In Gottfrids world there is no need for a balcony rail at all - people have eyes and can see not to walk off !!!... :clap2:

No! You got it wrong as usual. However, nice to see you are still here. 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It makes a difference.....  just not to you as you are not interested. 

Did the Balcony give way, break at all ?... 

Was she being silly and sitting on the balcony, then fell ?

Was she drink, sitting on or leaning over the balcony, then fell ?

It makes a difference to some as knowing how such tragedies happen and help people take measures to avoid such incidents either at their own property or while on holiday. 

No, stupid is there all the time. So, sorry! No difference.

35 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

What was she doing on the balcony and what time of the day was it if we knew these answers we could them surmise what actually happened was alcohol involved rather than the railing getting blamed for her demise 

Some people have a martini for breakfast, others like myself, rarely drink alcohol at all.  You fall off a balcony, as an adult, there's pretty much only 1 reason ????

20 hours ago, Elkski said:

Actually the code in some areas is higher than 1 meter.  42" for commercial buildings. 36" minimum in the USA which will hit 80% of people above center.  

Any update on her condition.  Hope she is improving better than expected

Makes sense. Yes, my architect mentioned a number little more than one meter – so 42" – when we two days ago were talking about renewing my own 2nd floor balcony railing in my private house, which I originally had made as 80 centimeters (32"), 13 years ago. I had however designed my 3rd floor railing made as meter (40").

15 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

But for a hotel promoting itself to international guests, they need to do better than the inadequate wooden structure shown in the photo.

None of the hotel's hundreds (maybe thousands) of other guests seem to have had any problems with the balcony, wonder why that is?

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Makes sense. Yes, my architect mentioned a number little more than one meter – so 42" – when we two days ago were talking about renewing my own 2nd floor balcony railing in my private house, which I originally had made as 80 centimeters (32"), 13 years ago. I had however designed my 3rd floor railing made as meter (40").

Sturdy 40" is plenty for 6' person. 

If some reporter investigated the railing accident history the last 10 years andvwas published in major print or media channel it could begin the education that leads to being able to prove intentional neglegence and litigatin awards that actually motivate businesses to change.  It's just the right thing to do.  But don't expect a decree or something intelligent. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Thumbs Up 1