British woman ‘may never walk again’ after fall from resort balcony in Thailand

webfact

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It makes a difference to some as knowing how such tragedies happen and help people take measures to avoid such incidents either at their own property or while on holiday.

Hello Richard, happy new year.

How long have you been here?

Do you think the properties will increase the height of the balcony hand rails?

Edited by PJ71
  • Like 1

Standards for things like balcony rail height are determined according to the average height of the native population, not on the average height of anyone who ever may visit. The center of balance is different between a five foot five Asian and a six foot three westerner. Just the same way that clothes sizes are determined. The drop factor determines how big size Large is in Asia versus how big it is in the USA, they are not the same. On this same point, have you ever climbed a metal ladder in Thailand? Next time you do, look at the safety label on the side, most read they are safe up to 75, 80 or 85 kilo's, no more. That's fine for Asians but hellish for Westerner DIY people!

• Thumbs Up 1

He must have been comparing the difficulty for the Thai government to address this or any issue that should  have rules and inspections just like fire code , and that of a private company making the T car or Space X booster recovery. 

Speaking to The Metro, she questioned the safety levels of the accommodation where her daughter was staying.

Photos showed how the balcony of the property was secured only by a low wooden bannister rail.

Usually one get what he/she paid for, looks like a cheap accommodation type place, this is Thailand safety & cleanliness is not on top of their priorities.... hope the hotel will no sue her or the family for bad publicity

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

So balconies should only be safe for Mr Average? I think they should be safe for everyone. A country that's trying to promote itself as a "wellness" destination for international visitors needs to update its standards so people don't keep falling to their deaths from balconies.

You said that, not me!

Perhaps if people understood the average height issue they would be able to better help themselves. TBH it was one of the first things I noticed when I first visited in the 1990's, probably because I'm 6 foot 3. But I'm not sure how reasonable it is to require all building codes that involve height related issues, to be constructed to Western standards. What about the step ladder maximum weight issue I mentioned, should they all be constructed to allow for a 150 kg foreigner, in case he happens to buy one!

21 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, I have. I liked to walk in the forest and pick berries and mushrooms in my home country. There is was sometimes roots that was hard to se under all vegetation. And sure, I have also stumbled on things like sidewalks and things in front of me that should not be there. However, I will assume that the balcony floor was flat and free of roots or garbage.

Be the side of this, my post that you quoted was about rail height. Not about stumbling on things. I guess you just have to read better before making silly assumptions.

Not a silly assumption. Given the amount of balconies with a low rail height around Thailand multiplied by the number of visitors that can be expected, sooner or later someone will stumble on a shoe, kids toy, empty bottle or whatever and loose their balance taking a dive. Its inevitable. Add some alcohol to the equation and maybe some poor lighting and the chances of taking an unexpected dive increase a lot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elkski said:

If there isn't a rail height standard in Thailand there should be.  In civilized countries the height and also the max spacing between the vertical stiles is controlled.  Those arguing that Asians are so much shorter are way offbase as these accidents are happening at hotels that are used by western people.  Plus the rail height at some places in Thailand are well below the fulcrum of the average Asian.  Some are ready to fall apart of leaned on.  There is no reason to fix most things here or even care.  Just recall the 19 year old Russian who was electrocuted playing bball in Thailand.  They really do need to pass out a travel guide to all tourist's. 

Don't trust the zebra crossings or that any car will ever yield to a pedestrian. 

Always approach and check balcony railings carefully.  

You said it right there:

" In civilized countries the height and also the max spacing between the vertical stiles is controlled."

46 minutes ago, ningnong said:

Not a silly assumption. Given the amount of balconies with a low rail height around Thailand multiplied by the number of visitors that can be expected, sooner or later someone will stumble on a shoe, kids toy, empty bottle or whatever and loose their balance taking a dive. Its inevitable. Add some alcohol to the equation and maybe some poor lighting and the chances of taking an unexpected dive increase a lot.

Exactly, which take us back to "God Give You Eyes" for a reason. To look with. Also the thing he added to the total concept was common sense. Something that means you have to know your limit, as the more you drink make it harder to see and react. Why not sit down and drink in the sofa instead, then you can just lean over and hit the floor when finished and still wake up in the morning?

47 minutes ago, ningnong said:

The average height of the Watussi tribe male is over 6 feet during early adulthood. Should all balconies in Thailand be upwards height adjusted, in case one of the tribe decides to visit? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

You said that, not me!

Perhaps if people understood the average height issue they would be able to better help themselves. TBH it was one of the first things I noticed when I first visited in the 1990's, probably because I'm 6 foot 3. But I'm not sure how reasonable it is to require all building codes that involve height related issues, to be constructed to Western standards. What about the step ladder maximum weight issue I mentioned, should they all be constructed to allow for a 150 kg foreigner, in case he happens to buy one!

Hotels with international guests should certainly be safe for those guests, don't you think?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Twin beds or a double sir; smoking or non-smoking room sir; western or asian balcony rail height sir.

There are tall Asians as well. If there is such a thing as "Asian balcony height" standards (please provide a source) then it would also be dangerous for them.

Just now, edwardandtubs said:

There are tall Asians as well. If there is such a thing as "Asian balcony height" standards (please provide a source) then it would also be dangerous for them.

Oh please!

"Apparently, most balconies in Thailand have barriers that are about 700 or 800 mm high - for the shorter Thai people - and there is little or no policing of building regulations". 

If you need any more proof, feel free to google for it!

16 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Oh please!

"Apparently, most balconies in Thailand have barriers that are about 700 or 800 mm high - for the shorter Thai people - and there is little or no policing of building regulations". 

If you need any more proof, feel free to google for it!

That just tells us that balconies are lower, which we all know, not that there are any "standards" that make that acceptable. 

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

That just tells us that balconies are lower, which we all know, not that there are any "standards" that make that acceptable. 

This is Thailand, not the USA or UK where standards are documented, approved, taught and enforced. Instead there are local standards and established practise, that's as good as it gets and the closest thing to a standard as you know it, that exists here. Given the thousands of builders operating in the Kingdom, each of them constructing buildings in their own, unregulated, time tested way, the idea of having centralised agreed building standards and that they might be enforced/able, is a joke. The police can't even get citizens to all drive on the left side of the road so enforceable building standards stand zero chance.

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

This is Thailand, not the USA or UK where standards are documented, approved, taught and enforced. Instead there are local standards and established practise, that's as good as it gets and the closest thing to a standard as you know it, that exists here. Given the thousands of builders operating in the Kingdom, each of them constructing buildings in their own, unregulated, time tested way, the idea of having centralised agreed building standards and that they might be enforced/able, is a joke. The police can't even get citizens to all drive on the left side of the road so enforceable building standards stand zero chance.

I agree and if we're talking about a 300 baht a night fan hotel in Nakon Nowhere then of course you wouldn't expect any standards to be reached. But for a hotel promoting itself to international guests, they need to do better than the inadequate wooden structure shown in the photo.

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, no, no! Rail height is not an issue. That´s why God gave us eyes. Also, if the rail is too low, he also added common sense to accompany the use of your eyes.

Most of us have many decades of life experience, and many years of Thailand experience.

You have to remember this is a a young girl, probably first time in Thailand, probably a bit naive. Probably could only afford cheap accommodation.

Also some people are naturally more clumsy than others (not everyone is as perfect as you). We don't know if she tripped or slipped on something. 

At the end of the day that balcony rail is way too low by any standards. What is the point of a rail that low?

I don't think even Warwick Davies would be safe on that balcony.  

12 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Most of us have many decades of life experience, and many years of Thailand experience.

You have to remember this is a a young girl, probably first time in Thailand, probably a bit naive. Probably could only afford cheap accommodation.

Also some people are naturally more clumsy than others (not everyone is as perfect as you). We don't know if she tripped or slipped on something. 

At the end of the day that balcony rail is way too low by any standards. What is the point of a rail that low?

I don't think even Warwick Davies would be safe on that balcony.  

I appreciate your big effort on building up excuses, but it did not work. I am far from perfect, but I do look where I walk and do not play on balconies with low railing in a drunk state, as this probably has to do with. That, my friend, does not make me perfect. However, it makes me rather smart.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I appreciate your big effort on building up excuses, but it did not work. I am far from perfect, but I do look where I walk and do not play on balconies with low railing in a drunk state, as this probably has to do with. That, my friend, does not make me perfect. However, it makes me rather smart.

Smart people tend to have more open minds my friend

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Hello Richard, happy new year.

Back at you.. HNY.

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:

How long have you been here?

Over 20 years. 

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Do you think the properties will increase the height of the balcony hand rails?

Yes...  for many years a lot of newer properties build balcony rails at a reasonable height. 

But there are still a lot of old buildings around....  

Rail height may or may not have been a factor...  well, it was obviously a factor because 6ft high rail would be difficult to climb up to.... but a 120cm rail vs an 90cm rail presents quite a difference to an average height person leaning out on a balcony.