Navy Unveils New Amphibious Ship “HTMS Chang” 

webfact

image.jpeg

by Krajangwit Johjit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Royal Thai Navy’s third amphibious transport dock ship, also known as a landing platform dock (LPD) ship, was ceremoniously launched on Wednesday (Jan 4) in China at the Hudong-Zhonghua shipyard near Shanghai. The launching was conducted by the spouse of Navy Deputy Chief Adm Thaloengsak Sirisawat, Aranya Sirisawat. 

The ship has been named HTMS Chang, after Chang Island in Trat province. The vessel was purchased as part of the navy’s 20-year plan to have all four of these large amphibious ships in operation by 2036 for various purposes, such as transporting amphibious command and support vessels, supporting submarine operations, participating in marine search and rescue operations, evacuating disaster victims, and supporting marine and portal anti-terrorism operations.

HTMS Chang measures 213 meters in length and 28 meters in width, with a maximum displacement of 20,003 tons and a draft of 17.4 meters. Its maximum speed is 25 knots, and it has a range of 10,000 nautical miles. While the navy’s goal is to have all four amphibious transport dock ships in commission at the same time, the ship was purchased to replace its predecessor, also named HTMS Chang. 

In regards to naming new ships, the navy follows a fixed protocol. For amphibious ships, they must be named after an important island in the country, while frigates are named after main rivers, such as Bang Pakong. 

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230106122936626

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Cheers, Chang beers all around. Wonder if the ship will have the Chang logo on the sides....all joking aside this is a Cinese style Amphibious Transport Dock Ship.  So I as the question of "Why does Thailand need Such a ship"?, let alone 4 of them.  I know they have old and outdated ships, but when have they ever used them for anything other than drills and maritime excursions. What Amphibious landing equipment do they have? Just questions no bashing.

The article says they will be Used for Various purposes, such as transporting amphibious command and support vessels, supporting submarine operations, participating in marine search and rescue operations, evacuating disaster victims, and supporting marine and portal anti-terrorism operations.

No subs as of yet, so again why the need.

Tsunamis and floods.

Edited by ozimoron

Why in the world would Thailand need this type of ship?they are designed to deploy troops and equipment to hostile areas to me it doesent make sense.point taken they can be used for relief operations so can every ferry fishing boat freighter ect ect sure hope they train their crews to properly work the ballasting systems on this type of vessel it’s hyper critical to their safe operation its also a very high maintenance system yeiks!

The naming convention was interesting to know. The fact that Thailand does rely on the military for disaster relief is also good. I just feel being rescued by the navy might go either way 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

was ceremoniously launched on Wednesday (Jan 4) in China at the Hudong-Zhonghua shipyard near Shanghai. The launching was conducted by the spouse of Navy Deputy Chief Adm Thaloengsak Sirisawat, Aranya Sirisawat. 

I am sure the navy budget remained untouched for the spouse's junket to China... first class plane ride and luxury hotel and shopping in Shanghai, I imagine. Aranya, you go girl!

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1

Hopefully they will invest in training the 'right stuff' of officers and sailors to make sure that no disasters of any kind will happened again, no mother wants to hear that her son didn't come back from his duty to the country...

I'd like to multi quote several of the above folks who decry the "Thai bashing"...suffice it to say, I have worked EXTENSIVELY with the RTA, and quite a a bit with the Thai Marines.

I was a Field Service Rep for AM General for many years.. AMG manufactures the HMMWV (Humvee) military truck. Those trucks are over the world, and I was based in Thailand to help with their 2,000 trucks. Taiwan has 4,000 or 5,000. US Marines on Okinawa + US Army in Korea.

The RTA conduct maintenance like a bunch of 16 year old kids. Drive it till it breaks.

I have seen steering linkage tied together with a broken fan belt! Peanut butter in the brake Master Cylinder (brakes failed, anyone, anyone ever heard that???).

They were sending 72 trucks to Sudan on a "Peacekeeping Mission" to help the UN...asked me to inspect the 35 year old trucks (this was years ago).

I came back with a folder about 4 inches thick, and gave it to a Full Bird Colonel. and identified 38 trucks I would be TERRIFIED to even drive into the workbay to try and fix. 

In the US Army, we called it a DEADLINE issue = UNSAFE to operate.

They just grinned at me and sent them off to Sudan.

Oh they DID paint them white with UN markings, re-did the upholstery on the seats, and put new, shiny tires on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1