Two Russian tourists robbed of thousands of dollars from same Pattaya hotel

webfact

The last hotel I stayed at in Patts had one of these lockable boxes with a key pad . I had a quick look at it and it looked cheap and flimsy . It was only attached by a couple of screws - anyone with a toolkit could remove it . So I decided against using it . 

It does make life difficult though , having to take all your valuables with you wherever you go , and pretty much rules out going for a swim.

I felt much more relaxed when I rented my own room on a longer term basis , when the door could be locked and I knew the owner .

Hotels often employ poorly paid migrant workers to whom a few thousand Bt may be a temptation they can`t resist .

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Why would anyone put all their valuables in a small box..."

They didn't, they put the cash in "safes" for which, this century, almost none have keys.

That's the problem. They all have keys, so they can opened when the batteries run flat. Someone has that key.

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Of course they have a mechanical lock with a corresponding key.

What should happen it the batteries run empty which are (for good reason) inside the safe?

One instance I saw was the guy brought a laptop, and a special cable and communicated with the safe and put in a code that popped it... in that case it could get power off the laptop USB. Also some models of safe, the batteries are accessible from the front of the safe, not inside, behind a plastic cover..... the override key access is behind the batteries. So when the TV remote don't work... !!!!!

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

One instance I saw was the guy brought a laptop, and a special cable and communicated with the safe and put in a code that popped it... in that case it could get power off the laptop USB. Also some models of safe, the batteries are accessible from the front of the safe, not inside, behind a plastic cover..... the override key access is behind the batteries. So when the TV remote don't work... !!!!!

YouTube shows many ways to open these cheap hotel safes.

• Thumbs Up 1

The maids have access to the safes with the emergency key to open the safe in case the combination code is forgotten.

$5000 is likely more than their entire yearly salary... Even $1000 is like many many many hours worth of working.

Seems like a lot of things and people want to extract wealth from foreigners here, one way or another. 

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

12 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

The maids have access to the safes with the emergency key to open the safe in case the combination code is forgotten.

You know this for sure? I have had reason to get the safe opened a few times (my own fault or locked when I checked in)... never had a maid come open it!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, worgeordie said:

A thief that worked at the hotel and had access to the rooms , hoping if they

did not take it all ,it might not be missed , a thief  with no connection to the

hotel would have took the lot.

regards worgeordie 

yes, smartly playing the long game, and not the quick score.

Hotel room safes are anything but.  Can't believe people actually still use them after such reports are so common.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Hotel room safes are anything but.  Can't believe people actually still use them after such reports are so common.

It may depend on the quality of the hotel.... I don't like taking everything out with me while out on the razz. 

On 1/9/2023 at 11:23 AM, jacko45k said:

Not strictly true... with a declaration and proof it was earned  in Russia more is possible.

10 000 usd without declaration limit is per person, so the family can bring much more.

I think a lot of USD in Russia now as imports of foreign goods steeply decreased or stopped and oil exports still continue though at lower prices. 

Visa / Mastercard cards issues by Russian banks are not working outside Russia now so Usd cash is the main resource for travel abroad. 

Some people go and issue bank cards in neighboring to Russia countries but it takes a lot of time and money. 

From my practice of work in travel companies tourists often miscalculate or forget how much exactly they keep at hotel safe then they complain and blame hotel. So it is hard to believe them.