Brits rally round to donate 3 million baht for compatriot who fell off Koh Phangan hotel balcony and was "left helpless for 40 minutes"

webfact

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

@OrinocoGood point. If the insurance did cover medical bills and not repatriation then I would rather be in a good Thai hospital such as Bangkok Hospital. In these situations, the first instinct of many foreigners is to panic and flee to the familiar surroundings of their home country. We saw this in huge numbers at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and many later regretted doing so.

Personally never noticed anyone regretting leaving Thailand but did read a few say they were not going back to Thailand again. My family and left just before covid 2019 and no one in the family wants to move back to Thailand except for holidays to see family and friends. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

@OrinocoGood point. If the insurance did cover medical bills and not repatriation then I would rather be in a good Thai hospital such as Bangkok Hospital. In these situations, the first instinct of many foreigners is to panic and flee to the familiar surroundings of their home country. We saw this in huge numbers at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and many later regretted doing so.

Not my post mate.

Someone's been accidently messing with my post  ( Spock )  :giggle:

but yes a good point. 

• Like 1

In Germany, motorcycles are only insured up to 110ccm in normal life insurance, accident insurance and holiday health insurance. If you drive a 125cc motorcycle you have no insurance cover or you have to choose another class with a higher risk level, which is correspondingly more expensive.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:46 AM, Henryford said:

Fell 60 feet? Other reports say the second floor, 20 feet more likely. Or if it's Thai second floor 10 feet.

An average apartment storey is 14 feet, so that's an average of 4 floors. It's survivable, but cutting it close. The recommended minimum height for suicide jumping is 21 meters (there are how-to-do manuals on various methods, especially in Japan). She was only 9 feet short of that.

Edited by JensenZ

On 1/13/2023 at 11:47 AM, realfunster said:

Indeed, moving someone in such circumstances would not be wise.

The ambulance arrival time is probably quicker than the UK at the moment….

In Thailand, people in rescue trucks (not ambulances) pick the road accident victims up and put them on the tray. There's no triage whatsoever. Maybe they take more care when the injured is a foreigner.

2 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Not my post mate.

Someone's been accidently messing with my post  ( Spock )  :giggle:

but yes a good point. 

I couldn't get rid of your post and had to post inside your box!

Edited by Spock
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

I think many of you have never been inside a hotel before.  The bottom floor is called the LOBBY, and the numbered floors begin on the SECOND floor, which is called the 1st, and so on...

In the UK they use the term ground floor and that is what many get confused from countries that do not use that term . I was working on some apartments about 10 stories being built by a Norwegian builder in Spain and a lift was installed . The Norwegian put the ground floor as level one like he would of done in his home land and caused a lot of confusion for the Spanish workers who use the same system as in the UK .

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Travel insurance tends to cover Emergency Treatment only.

Once you are stable the cost of "maintenance" is yours.

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Travel insurance tends to cover Emergency Treatment only.

Once you are stable the cost of "maintenance" is yours.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2023 at 10:46 AM, Henryford said:

Fell 60 feet? Other reports say the second floor, 20 feet more likely. Or if it's Thai second floor 10 feet.

In some hotels the 2e floor can be very high when there’s a garage underneath!!

Edited by gerritkaew

On 1/13/2023 at 8:02 PM, Deerculler said:

There are some really nice expats in Thailand.

And there are some expats in Thailand in who cannot think, have knowledge.

But think they know everything and are down right insulting.

Makes me wonder what Thai people think when they read some of these posts.

In your dreams, how many Thai's would you think read these posts? 

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:02 PM, Deerculler said:

There are some really nice expats in Thailand.

And there are some expats in Thailand in who cannot think, have knowledge.

But think they know everything and are down right insulting.

Makes me wonder what Thai people think when they read some of these posts.

Deerculler ...  0 thai's read these posts ....  they cannot read english so don't worry.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Deerculler ...  0 thai's read these posts ....  they cannot read english so don't worry.

I imagine everyone reads it, from CIA, MI6, Fat checkers,

Thai 'Intelligence', Mr. Algorthm, Five Eyes, and perhaps the Missus.

Me paranoid?  Yes, like the rest of the world.

My mistake, shouldn't have bought a 'puter.

Edited by talahtnut
Idiot

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I'm sorry but people who aren't comitting suicide or aren't intoxicated on the World's Most Deadly Drug (i.e. alcohol, DUH) don't just innocently fall off balconies.

Except in Russia. ????

I just watched a perfectly sober guy trip over virtually nothing (tiny 1cm step), he ended up on the floor on his back, unhurt but struggling to understand how that even happened.... 

Had he be been walking out onto a balcony with a low (60cm rail) he may well have gone over the edge....

>>> Accidents happen. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

How did she fall drunk or maybe pushed in some fun with a friend. Insurance suspect something strange about the case,so no cover,I have a idea lets beg on go fund me and see what happens,maybe we get lucky as a family and help her without cost to us

Somewhat irrelevant - iF there is insurance cover it ‘should’ be there to pay out in all such circumstances.

Thus; either she didn’t have cover or did not activate it etc before she travelled. 

The VUMI insurance for my Wife and Son does not cover out patient treatment. Thus, I’ve just taken out additional Travel Insurance for an upcoming holiday... There is plenty of ‘wiggle room’ in the ‘alcohol clause’... which describes allowing alcohol, but injuries incurred while ‘excessively intoxicated’ are not covered....  who decides ??... 

Thus: IF I’ve had 3 beers and slip over on an icy road and break a wrist insurance covers me. 

IF I’ve had 10 beers and slip over on an icy road and break a wrist does this give the insurance wiggle room not to pay out ?

Then there is the ‘wear and tear’... If baggage is lost etc they will compensate minus 'wear and tear’ - who decides the depreciation due to wear and tear, I won’t wear or use worn and torn items.... 

I’m not too worried about the baggage, cancelled holiday costs etc...  Its the Injury & rescue cover I want for us all.... 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

just watched a perfectly sober guy trip over virtually nothing (tiny 1cm step

That's not "nothing" that's a third of an inch and a trip hazard.  Was it painted bright yellow or orange or was it the same color as the rest of the floor/sidewalk/walkway?

Bad example.

No one should be wantonly "walking" around on a balcony with a low (below waist) safety rail. 

Standing, yes.  Carefully and slowly moving.

Walking, no. ????

Even I was smart enough at Chase Center in San Francisco to move far away from the transparent glass barrier on the balcony between the seats and a huge fall, in which two people the following night after my event experienced.

"Safety Hazard".  C'mon.  Use a little common sense.

Edited by SiSePuede419

On 1/14/2023 at 12:31 AM, JimTripper said:

One thing I learned early on here is to stay away from any kind of balcony railing. Many of them are below my center of gravity and not made to protect, rather more decorative in nature.

And most balconies will have a lip on the edge of the balcony floor under the railing to prevent wind-blown rainwater from flowing off the edge and onto the balcony below. The lip can prevent ones feet from being placed further forward for a proper stance. Combined with a balcony flooring that has been smooth concreted, or even worse, glaze tiled, and you have a recipe for disaster if someone loses their footing whilst leaning over.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2023 at 2:44 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

On top of the GoFundMe collection they are now doing another collection for her rehabilitation.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/maddi-neale-shanksters-family-eternally-25969042

Talk about pushing your luck. Her employer is her mother who has a successful beauty clinic.

Maddi on the left

4_TheVenue150820_02.jpg

Should have gone to Fat fighters instead.