Do you think it's ok to take pictures of interesting people in public places?

Elkski

With the advancement of the quality of these cellphones like the Apple 14 and Samsung s21&22 ultras it's easy to take pictures across the pool, store, street or restaurant, on the BTS or sidewalk.     .6 power wide angle to 10x optical zoom.  The quality is amazing.   I know it's not illegal to take pictures in public places but I'm just wondering what some of you think.  I don't plan to do anything nefarious with these pictures it's just one catagory of pictures I collect.  1 other category are footprints.  

20230115_074815.jpg

20230115_074748.jpg

20230115_074518.jpg

20230115_074345.jpg

20230113_075157.jpg

20230112_193526.jpg

20230112_163631.jpg

20230112_152352.jpg

20230109_150450.jpg

20230109_142501.jpg

20221231_081949.jpg

I like shoe photos......shoes outside of a primary school, shoes outside an eye clinic, shoes outside a temple.  Shoes tell stories.

As for taking photos of people in public, I'm not shy about asking if I can take someone's photo......I've never had anyone turn me down.

shoes at Ban Pha Singq.jpg

20151115_093620.jpg

20221224_103647.jpg

back old days during Chinese New Year Eve we were at Yowarat about early evening - means dark yet lotsa lights. My kid (about 5 than) dressed in that red chinese clothes and looked super cute. Suddenly some honky dude popped up from nowhere with huge full frame camera. He didn't even say "Hello, whatever..." just aimed his Nikon/Canon to my kid. In front of me.

<something happened than>

<something happened than>

When we came home I felt kinda sorry for that arrogant individual and his lenses. Slight bite of guilt.

15 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Suddenly some honky dude popped up from nowhere with huge full frame camera. He didn't even say "Hello, whatever..." just aimed his Nikon/Canon to my kid. In front of me.

Would you have reacted differently if someone was holding a phone up? It seems you had great concern about the equipment being used.

Edited by LS24

Depends on the type of image you are looking to capture.

If someone sees me taking photos when I am looking for a candid street shot or I like the way the light falls on their profile or hair or whatever and they look away or seem hesitant in any way, I apologize with a head nod and leave them to it. No point trying again as the moment is lost.

Having said that, I usually look for people who's face tells a story or are busy in thought. Artists like Vivian Mayer created a lot of her portfolio in that way. Would never even consider photo of a child or teenager that could remotely identify them without explicit request from parent. That is just common sense and downright good form.

If looking for a portrait, it can be difficult to get a nice shot. So many people are not photogenic. But on occasion I have stopped people and asked if I could photograph them for a more posed image.

Go with your gut and put yourself in the subject's shoes. If they just fell over or were doing menial work, they may be less inclined to be excited about someone photographing them.

• Like 1

Another catagory is pictures of women who have something.  I have a beach sub catagory.  Never aim at a child of course. 

20230116_161400.jpg

Edited by Elkski
I do have a beach sub catagory

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

I know it's not illegal to take pictures in public places but I'm just wondering what some of you think.

I like to take street photos.  Often there are people there, but it's a wide shot so nobody is exactly being aimed at or shot at close-up.  I feel no guilt about these sort of photos.  Sometimes I'm wating for people to go so that I can get just the buildings and nothing else.  Sometimes a local walking by can enhance the shot though.

If I wanted to take a photo of someone up close where they were the main focus, I would ask.  If they said no, I would not photograph them.  I'm pretty sure you can do it legally, but I don't feel right about it.

I was once sizing up a shot in Vietnam that would have featured a fruit seller quite prominently (although not the sole subject, just foregrounded).  She noticed this and shook her head.  I felt a  little disappointed, but respected her wishes.

Read the room, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I like shoe photos......shoes outside of a primary school, shoes outside an eye clinic, shoes outside a temple.  Shoes tell stories.

As for taking photos of people in public, I'm not shy about asking if I can take someone's photo......I've never had anyone turn me down.

shoes at Ban Pha Singq.jpg

20151115_093620.jpg

20221224_103647.jpg

Shoes tell stories?

Do tell.????????

59 minutes ago, Elkski said:

That is from  my footprints in the cement collection. 

Sometimes they see you and smile for the picture.  Or pose. 

are there alligators in Bangkok.  Or a 5' monitor lizard ?

20230115_075552.jpg

20230115_131313.jpg

20230115_130853.jpg

20230115_132237.jpg

20230115_133906.jpg

I reckon you should try reading a book instead of snapping photos of women you don't know and never will know.????????

4 hours ago, LS24 said:

Would you have reacted differently if someone was holding a phone up? It seems you had great concern about the equipment being used.

Nope. Lets check timing - that happened say 12-13 years ago )

My precious wifee was crazy obsessed with all superstitions, omens, black eyes and bad curses, though. 

Also, to have your kid on some travel blog "Looksie, I'm in Bangkok and here is what I caught!" is not very pleasant for parent. Right?

DSC00378.JPG

About face masks. It tends to highlight peoples forehead and eyes.  A couple looked so beautiful until they lowered their mask.   You can't believe how dirty the outside of  my mask can get in 1 day walking in BKK.  Especially a month ago when the air was so bad.  Wearing them is for sure a good idea.  95% are wearing them on the BTS.  

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

You can't believe how dirty the outside of  my mask can get in 1 day walking in BKK.  Especially a month ago when the air was so bad.  Wearing them is for sure a good idea.  95% are wearing them on the BTS.  

Locals don't sound/look so silly when you consider the pollution, and if living there, good idea to be masked up.  One reason I couldn't live there, as hate wearing.

• Like 1