Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One can safely assume she didn't pay for her voyage to the UN, or the crew that flew,

She sailed for free. Amateur yaughting couple volunteered to take her. Lots of evidence in the web. 

Edited by Purdey

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Because the word "criminal" is part and parcel of the repeated character assassinations you offer when referring to people who support strong intervention to slow and reverse human caused climate change.

ANdwhat actual disproof did you offer?. If she refused to budge, then they would have had to carry her away.

...so she posed for photos with them, walked with them for a time, then suddenly "refused to budge"? Pull the other one, mate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hanaguma said:

Al Gore is an obvious one.  The myriad Hollywood celebs who jet around to be seen as these conferences for another. The billions in government money sucked up and soon consumed- Solyndra anyone? 

I will take them seriously when they start living and acting like THEY take it seriously.  A man who owns 4 houses telling me to turn down my heat in the winter can <deleted> right off.

Because Gore may have profited from his opposition to human caused climate change, that means his motives were insincere or corrupt? As for those Hollywood celebrities, how are they profiting from climate change? 

The hypocrisy of these non-scientists is utterly irrelevant to the question of whether or not the threats posed by climate change are to be taken seriously.

But this kind of deflection  is typical of the BS you offer. 

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What about the time she pretended to be cramped up on the floor of the train when in reality she had a first class ticket?

https://nypost.com/2019/12/15/german-railway-claims-greta-thunberg-lied-about-taking-first-class/

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was staged. 

Nice to see her keeping to her word on zero flights

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What about the time she pretended to be cramped up on the floor of the train when in reality she had a first class ticket?

https://nypost.com/2019/12/15/german-railway-claims-greta-thunberg-lied-about-taking-first-class/

She never lied and the photo was not staged. She had to catch several trains. 

"So we sat on the floor on 2 different trains. After Göttingen I got a seat.

"This is no problem of course and I never said it was.

Edited by Purdey
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

...so she posed for photos with them, walked with them for a time, then suddenly "refused to budge"? Pull the other one, mate. 

Even if it was relevant, you are claiming that she was standing with the police before she was carried away and not that she was carried away and then was standing with the police?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK, but why pay for yacht crew to fly if it was sailed by them?

She didn't pay. As the yacht owner said, "The sailing team that’s taking climate activist Greta Thunberg from England to the United States aboard a high-tech racing yacht says it will fly two crew across the Atlantic to bring the boat back, but that the carbon emissions from their flights will be compensated for."

49 minutes ago, Purdey said:

When she needed to travel across the Atlantic she asked if anyone could help and a couple offered to sail her across gratis. They weren't  influencers just yachtsmen. Her parents are not poor. Who influenced her? She told the UK Parliament not to listen to her, listen to the scientists. Her Extinction Rebellion group received donations from philanthropists. She's written several books but given most of the money away. 

As she has said,, most of the people she upsets are white, male and on the right of the political spectrum. 

She is far from rich and this article discusses her income coming from awards for her work.

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/who-supports-greta-thunberg

"most of the people she upsets are white, male and on the right of the political spectrum"-  As capably demonstrated by the threads on this forum.  The same people who hate Markel, Harry et al.  The right wing gutter press have a lot to answer for.

32 minutes ago, Purdey said:

She didn't pay. As the yacht owner said, "The sailing team that’s taking climate activist Greta Thunberg from England to the United States aboard a high-tech racing yacht says it will fly two crew across the Atlantic to bring the boat back, but that the carbon emissions from their flights will be compensated for."

Oh well, that's OK then.   They paid a sin tax into some faux scheme to justify their emissions. Sounds a lot like the "indulgences" the Catholic Church used to sell. But for the rest of us peasants who can't afford to buy off our consciences, we walk and eat bugs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's hilarious that we have no choice because governments subsidize fossil fuels.

Of course you have a choice. Work from home. Use technology.  Eat local. Refuse to use heating and air conditioning.  Grow your own cotton and sew your own shirts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:47 AM, Bkk Brian said:

Wow the hate is real, Greta has done more than any of us to help change politicians and policy makers perspectives and attitude to a more sustainable future. I applaud her for that. Even though I don't always agree with some of her actions such as this one.

All for the camera's. Another pawn in the WEF group.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sametboy2019 said:

All for the camera's. Another pawn in the WEF group.

It doesn't diminish her message one iota. Climate change is the problem, not her antics. She can stage stunts all she likes for all I care. The lies of the climate change deniers are the real problem.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Slip said:

"most of the people she upsets are white, male and on the right of the political spectrum"-  As capably demonstrated by the threads on this forum.  The same people who hate Markel, Harry et al.  The right wing gutter press have a lot to answer for.

What about us that are not right wing and don't like her, Harry or Markel et al?

46 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Of course you have a choice. Work from home. Use technology.  Eat local. Refuse to use heating and air conditioning.  Grow your own cotton and sew your own shirts.

Exactly right. Back in the 1950s cars were unaffordable for many- they used buses or bicycles. No reason why city dwellers can't do the same now as long as there is a bus service. 

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

She effectively turned a small local protest into a global news item. 

It was a major item on Al Jazeera news before she turned up. How much more do you want?

It was a pointless protest anyway, as Germany needs energy and they cut themselves off from Russia with their actions. More people would be protesting if their houses are cold and they can't cook dinner.

They were never going to win, so just another mob of the unemployable causing a disturbance, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

It doesn't diminish her message one iota. Climate change is the problem, not her antics. She can stage stunts all she likes for all I care. The lies of the climate change deniers are the real problem.

Can you tell me what a "climate change denier" is? Someone who denies that the Earth has a climate or that it changes?  It has become a rather odious catchphrase with deliberate ties to the original "Holocaust denier".  

Edited by Hanaguma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Can you tell me what a "climate change denier" is? Someone who denies that the Earch has a climate or that it changes?  It has become a rather odious catchphrase with deliberate ties to the original "Holocaust denier".  

Can you tell me what a "climate change denier" is? Someone who denies that the Earch has a climate or that it changes? 

I've said as much many times before on this forum, but they keep on with the false claims that anyone who doesn't toe the line is a "denier".

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Can you tell me what a "climate change denier" is? Someone who denies that the Earch has a climate or that it changes? 

I've said as much many times before on this forum, but they keep on with the false claims that anyone who doesn't toe the line is a "denier".

After all this time you don't know what that is or are you just trolling as I suspect?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps it needs two more words added to be specific for those who try to compare it to something its not. "Man made climate change denier" Is that still a false claim?

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 hour ago, Slip said:

Yes that sums it up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Oh well, that's OK then.   They paid a sin tax into some faux scheme to justify their emissions. Sounds a lot like the "indulgences" the Catholic Church used to sell. But for the rest of us peasants who can't afford to buy off our consciences, we walk and eat bugs.

Sorry you feel you have to make stuff up. There is a lot of information from trustworthy agencies if you care to look. 

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It was a major item on Al Jazeera news before she turned up. How much more do you want?

It was a pointless protest anyway, as Germany needs energy and they cut themselves off from Russia with their actions. More people would be protesting if their houses are cold and they can't cook dinner.

They were never going to win, so just another mob of the unemployable causing a disturbance, IMO.

Well her position as a global activist certainly helped to spread the word. As you know, Germany has gone back on all is commitments for it's own reasons. It doesn't all explain for instance why Thailand signed up to reduce its carbon footprint then immediately ordered 4 more coal fired energy plants. She has a point, they're all liars. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Shame they never let anyone know on their website until Greta got arrested...............https://www.aljazeera.com/climate-crisis

Note they did have their latest article there however "Greenland temperatures hottest in 1,000 years: Study"