Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let me introduce you to a concept.

’Marginal Gains’.

Lots has been done and is being done.

GT is doing her bit to raise public support for more to be done.

I don't believe in Magic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Fantastic.

She sailed a boat.

She was youngest person of the year for Time. (Haven't read Time since I last went to a dentists waiting room.)

Nominated more than once for Nobel Peace Prize, but no cigar.

Founded Fridays for Future (do they have Happy Hours?)

Sounds like she is being bankrolled big time and having the puppet strings pulled.

When is she coming here to sort our pollution/garbage disposal issues?????????

Is that the same boat that had to have 5 crewmembers FLOWN in to take it back to Europe? So, 5 people flew on carbon burning airplanes instead of 1 Greta.  Guess math isnt her strong point.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Is that the same boat that had to have 5 crewmembers FLOWN in to take it back to Europe? So, 5 people flew on carbon burning airplanes instead of 1 Greta.  Guess math isnt her strong point.

I haven't a clue. She is an automatic skip over article to me.????????

Just now, Hanaguma said:

No not on the way back, the boat only had 3 crew, one of which was her.

Besides which even the oil industry stated:

"C02 through the flights of the very people who sailed her to New York, is having an effect in spurring people to abandon or at least reduce the number of miles they choose to travel by air. In the end, we suspect that the four flights generated by her trip to the US have been more than offset by shamed people who have since forgone flying. Some may still see this as an act of hypocrisy, but the resulting math still comes out ahead in favor of reduced C02 generation."

https://oilprice.com/The-Environment/Global-Warming/Greta-Thunbergs-Not-So-Little-Carbon-Footprint.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, josephbloggs said:

So that's your argument is it? You are not allowed to do your bit to help improve the environment, you are not allowed to contribute as much as you can in your way of life..........unless you forgo absolutely everything and live in a cave eating moss?

She should give up using electricity totally?  How ridiculous. 

Who said anything about giving up electricity.

I can remember folk in the UK camping outside nuclear power stations because it was nuclear, where are they now...

Stop oil brigade super glueing their hands to the road, so traffic can't move, causing even more pollution in the jams.

These folk probably parked up in Tesco's car park....

They do absolutely nothing to force anything..

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All the high ups supporting climate change alarmism seem to be buying beachfront property, despite proclaiming a 10m sea level rise in their lifetimes. Seems they don't even believe what they say.

The banks (not known for risk taking home loans) still seem to be giving 30 year mortgages on seafront properties and the insurance companies (even less risk averse) will still insure such properties.

Are you sure?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Using any form of transport other than walking consumes energy produced somewhere by some form of fuel.

If we assume that she walked, then she must have eaten food on the way, slept overnights along the way in places that were warm and had laundry facilities, used and flushed toilets both public and private, all of which consume power from one source or another. It is a reasonable assumption to make that the clothes she wears were made by somebody in a factory which consumes power from somewhere.

OTOH is she was transported there by someone elses form of transport, energy from some source was used, but not at her expense.

I have no objection to the world using renewable energy but it will come at a cost, because nothing is free.

The village she is protesting at belongs to the mine and has been abandoned anyway.

AFAIK the reason that tne mine is being reopened is because the gas supply which came from Russia is no longer available, and Germany needs to generate electricity for its people, its transport and its businesses.

Lignite is the dirtiest coal to use to generate electricity but needs must when the devil drives. 

To me those protestors are just hypocrites, and very expensive to remove. If they were smart enough they would be working hard to reduce the costs of renewable energy sources and then the lignite mines could be closed for ever.

Germany has stated that it has shortage of gas for the next year. Presumably the war will be over by that time. The pipelines won't take that much to fix.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Who is holding her purse strings?

That is the million $ question! Follow the money.

She made a great deal of money out of online traffic to her social media following her roundly humiliating tgat idiot who thought he could put smart her.

You know the one, he’s currently in custody in Romania.

Recycle your Pizza Boxes, you know it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It is possible to listen to her and scientists at the same time. She is doing what scientists won't and that is activism. Scientists think it detracts from their credibility to be activist. Other than a notable few. 

Im not sure scientists want activism at all, and also shake their head of politicians priorities. 

People get fed up of listening to wolf wolf story for decades (those who do not know, google shepard and wolf wolf story), and those who only know nature from the car driving through a national park or crossing the sea with a ferry, will never know or understand how critical it really is all over right now. Sad to say, but true, it is devastating to observe just how much it have changed in a few decades. And Greta? Well we will see when the kids understand how much social media consume of energy and how damaging it is, and will be in future, that her goals also is impossible because of our own safety in competition with Asia and all other bandit states who will benefit from our costly dramatic changeover. 

This is the western world solution to clima crises\changes, No wonder why this is doomed!

10 Ways to Stop Global Warming

Want to help stop global warming? Here are 10 simple things you can do and how much carbon dioxide you'll save doing them. And of course more “green energy” meaning more land have to be used and exploited! 

https://www.northwestern.edu/fm/fm-staff/10-ways-to-stop-global-warming.html

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

I guess math isn’t yours either.

Expending a relatively small amount of fossil fuel burn flying a handful of of people in order to undertake a sailing trip that gets the message on the need for environmentalism to millions.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Who said anything about giving up electricity.

I can remember folk in the UK camping outside nuclear power stations because it was nuclear, where are they now...

Stop oil brigade super glueing their hands to the road, so traffic can't move, causing even more pollution in the jams.

These folk probably parked up in Tesco's car park....

They do absolutely nothing to force anything..

No they don’t force anything.

But they do bring environmental issues into wider public discussion, and here you are in this thread demonstrating that fact.

10 hours ago, Credo said:

So you think she has accomplished nothing?  That is a pretty ill-informed statement.   At 16 she sailed from Europe to New York in a zero carbon emitting sailboat.  

Greta Thunberg was 'TIME' magazine's youngest person of the year.

Greta Thunberg was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize... more than once.

Greta Thunberg founded Fridays for Future.

There are many more things to add to the list, but I wouldn't want to overburden you with too many facts.

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/greta-thunberg-accomplishments

quote " At 16 she sailed from Europe to New York in a zero carbon emitting sailboat".

Well done for her.

And can you tell me how the sailboat was made? It wasn't free to build and was most certainly not carbon free to build.

The tools used to build it were not made carbon free.

If it was made of timber, the trees had to be cut down and transported to the shipyard and built there.

If it was made of fibreglass, the fibreglass has to be made on site.

If the sails were made from nylon, nylon is a byproduct of crude oil.

https://goodonyou.eco/material-guide-nylon/

Essentially, nylon is a type of plastic derived from crude oil. This plastic is then put through an intensive chemical process, resulting in the strong, stretchy fibres that make it so useful as a fabric.

This is what I mean about hypocrisy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im not sure scientists want activism at all, and also shake their head of politicians priorities. 

People get fed up of listening to wolf wolf story for decades (those who do not know, google shepard and wolf wolf story), and those who only know nature from the car driving through a national park or crossing the sea with a ferry, will never know or understand how critical it really is all over right now. Sad to say, but true, it is devastating to observe just how much it have changed in a few decades. And Greta? Well we will see when the kids understand how much social media consume of energy and how damaging it is, and will be in future, that her goals also is impossible because of our own safety in competition with Asia and all other bandit states who will benefit from our costly dramatic changeover. 

This is the western world solution to clima crises\changes, No wonder why this is doomed!

10 Ways to Stop Global Warming

Want to help stop global warming? Here are 10 simple things you can do and how much carbon dioxide you'll save doing them. And of course more “green energy” meaning more land have to be used and exploited! 

https://www.northwestern.edu/fm/fm-staff/10-ways-to-stop-global-warming.html

Individual people will never stop climate change. Calling people out for their individual actions is just a distraction from the bigger picture. I'm not pointing at you, just generalising.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Individual people will never stop climate change. Calling people out for their individual actions is just a distraction from the bigger picture. I'm not pointing at you, just generalising.

I did not take it personal ,and it was not pointed explicit back on you ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

No not on the way back, the boat only had 3 crew, one of which was her.

Besides which even the oil industry stated:

"C02 through the flights of the very people who sailed her to New York, is having an effect in spurring people to abandon or at least reduce the number of miles they choose to travel by air. In the end, we suspect that the four flights generated by her trip to the US have been more than offset by shamed people who have since forgone flying. Some may still see this as an act of hypocrisy, but the resulting math still comes out ahead in favor of reduced C02 generation."

https://oilprice.com/The-Environment/Global-Warming/Greta-Thunbergs-Not-So-Little-Carbon-Footprint.html

"we suspect..."

Kind of says it all, doesn't it? About this article plus about climate alarmism in general.

The article DID also  add a couple of other, less than environmentally friendly, tidbits about our Greta's voyage. It generated a LOT of plastic waste from the estimated 200 prepackaged meals the crew of the yacht ate. Plus the carbon footprint of Ahnold's Tesla, which he generously lent her.   All in all, quite a climate catastrophe.

And it could simply have been avoided by staying home and doing the whole thing on Zoom. 

3 hours ago, proton said:

Like the little hypocrite normally does ????

Maybe you could help by traveling in your time machine to the future and bringing back pollution-free technology to the present, Until then, you can't get there from here without using the technology that's available now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

quote " At 16 she sailed from Europe to New York in a zero carbon emitting sailboat".

Well done for her.

And can you tell me how the sailboat was made? It wasn't free to build and was most certainly not carbon free to build.

The tools used to build it were not made carbon free.

If it was made of timber, the trees had to be cut down and transported to the shipyard and built there.

If it was made of fibreglass, the fibreglass has to be made on site.

If the sails were made from nylon, nylon is a byproduct of crude oil.

https://goodonyou.eco/material-guide-nylon/

Essentially, nylon is a type of plastic derived from crude oil. This plastic is then put through an intensive chemical process, resulting in the strong, stretchy fibres that make it so useful as a fabric.

This is what I mean about hypocrisy.

I think that’s what I call a heady mix of pedantry and strawman argument.

Nobody is saying the use of fossilized carbons must be reduced to zero.

But you do give some good examples of how fossilized carbons can be put to good use of not burned as fuel.

I suspect future generations will look back at fossilized carbons being burned with astonishment, given the very many uses they can be put to.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Maybe you could help by traveling in your time machine to the future and bringing back pollution-free technology to the present, Until then, you can't get there from here without using the technology that's available now.

Online video calls .?

No need to travel anywhere to make a speech