Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

It doesn't diminish her message one iota. Climate change is the problem, not her antics. She can stage stunts all she likes for all I care. The lies of the climate change deniers are the real problem.

Climate change, not man made climate change which is what she rants about. Almost nothing we can do about climate change, 6 bellow in the UK I see, so really hotting up! The lies of clueless activists like Greta is not a real problem, more a joke.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Perhaps it needs two more words added to be specific for those who try to compare it to something its not. "Man made climate change denier" Is that still a false claim?

Yes.

I don't know anybody who 'denies' that human activity has an impact on the climate. Do you?

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Yes.

I don't know anybody who 'denies' that human activity has an impact on the climate. Do you?

You've missed the posts on the climate threads? Look them up. 

Plenty here too:

The long fight against climate change deniers

A string of climate change deniers have sought to downplay the significance of global warming and humanity’s role in driving it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2022/10/20/the-long-fight-against-climate-change-deniers

Edited by Bkk Brian

8 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Yes.

Proton above you, ask him!

Neanderthales didnt believe in clima changes either, and see what happened to them!

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You've missed the posts on the climate threads? Look them up. 

Plenty here too:

The long fight against climate change deniers

A string of climate change deniers have sought to downplay the significance of global warming and humanity’s role in driving it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2022/10/20/the-long-fight-against-climate-change-deniers

Read the article. Nothing in it about people denying that the climate changes. They DO disagree with how much human activity contributes to it, and whether humans can make a significant difference in changing the direction of change.

Different things entirely. 

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Read the article. Nothing in it about people denying that the climate changes. They DO disagree with how much human activity contributes to it, and whether humans can make a significant difference in changing the direction of change.

Different things entirely. 

Come on.................there's so many I can only assume your trolling

Climate Deniers in the 117th Congress

There are 139 elected officials in the 117th Congress who still deny the scientific consensus of human-caused climate change.

If you want local forum examples then there's no need to find separate links just do a search

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Come on.................there's so many I can only assume your trolling

Climate Deniers in the 117th Congress

There are 139 elected officials in the 117th Congress who still deny the scientific consensus of human-caused climate change.

If you want local forum examples then there's no need to find separate links just do a search

They are skeptical of the "established scientific concensus". Not of climate change itself.

Interesting article. It brings to light the mindset of the average climate alarmist. This was included as a definition of a "climate denier":

Claiming that while humans are contributing to a changing climate, they are not the main contributors, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary

On 1/18/2023 at 9:20 AM, Credo said:

So you think she has accomplished nothing?  That is a pretty ill-informed statement.   At 16 she sailed from Europe to New York in a zero carbon emitting sailboat.  
Greta Thunberg was 'TIME' magazine's youngest person of the year.

Greta Thunberg was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize... more than once.

Greta Thunberg founded Fridays for Future.

There are many more things to add to the list, but I wouldn't want to overburden you with too many facts.

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/greta-thunberg-accomplishments

And all the things on the list have done very little to actually, concretely reduce carbon emissions or slow/reverse climate change.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in the real world (engineers, biologists, economists, even business owners, etc.) with real knowledge and real skills about real things who are actively, concretely doing real things about climate change.  Thunberg is a media creature, she and her family great in PR, but she has no education to speak of and no real knowledge or skills.  Fine to have climate change celebrity, I suppose, but she's famous for being famous, not for anything truly concrete she's done about climate change.  I don't dislike her at all but wonder why people pay attention to her PR antics rather than to the people who are actually doing the necessary work.

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

They are skeptical of the "established scientific concensus". Not of climate change itself.

Interesting article. It brings to light the mindset of the average climate alarmist. This was included as a definition of a "climate denier":

Claiming that while humans are contributing to a changing climate, they are not the main contributors, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary

The message is clearly the same. Denying established science.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

The message is clearly the same. Denying established science.

Not at all.

"The climate is not changing" or "All change in climate is purely due to natural forces" 

is far different from

"I agree that humans are a factor, but it is hard to determine exactly how much of a factor or how specifically".

Just now, Hanaguma said:

Not at all.

"The climate is not changing" or "All change in climate is purely due to natural forces" 

is far different from

"I agree that humans are a factor, but it is hard to determine exactly how much of a factor or how specifically".

I'm not talking about you. What you agree with or not. There is a man made climate crisis and countries need to do their fair share to get carbon neutral or below. That is the science. Those who deny the reality of that with pedantic s are as responsible as those who believe in a flat earth. Resorting to attacks on Greta and campaigners

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, JTXR said:

And all the things on the list have done very little to actually, concretely reduce carbon emissions or slow/reverse climate change.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in the real world (engineers, biologists, economists, even business owners, etc.) with real knowledge and real skills about real things who are actively, concretely doing real things about climate change.  Thunberg is a media creature, she and her family great in PR, but she has no education to speak of and no real knowledge or skills.  Fine to have climate change celebrity, I suppose, but she's famous for being famous, not for anything truly concrete she's done about climate change.  I don't dislike her at all but wonder why people pay attention to her PR antics rather than to the people who are actually doing the necessary work.

Raising public awareness of the problem is necessary work. Funny how the 1st amendment fans want to shut her down.

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm not talking about you. What you agree with or not. There is a man made climate crisis and countries need to do their fair share to get carbon neutral or below. That is the science. Those who deny the reality of that with pedantic s are as responsible as those who believe in a flat earth. Resorting to attacks on Greta and campaigners

When I see Noah starting to build the Ark, I will believe it.  

In other words, when these "global leaders" do more than add to the hot air in the atmosphere, I will believe them. When they start to practice what they preach, I will believe them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

When I see Noah starting to build the Ark, I will believe it.  

In other words, when these "global leaders" do more than add to the hot air in the atmosphere, I will believe them. When they start to practice what they preach, I will believe them.

There's the problem right there. Thanks for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

He gave the game away. It's about their phobia of climate change needing global cooperation. Hence the disparaging reference to "global leaders". As if they were a thing.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

He gave the game away. It's about their phobia of climate change needing global cooperation. Hence the disparaging reference to "global leaders". As if they were a thing.

If everyone had attitudes like that then the ozone layer would still be expanding. Fortunately the world pulled together to do something about it and its a major success.

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

If everyone had attitudes like that then the ozone layer would still be expanding. Fortunately the world pulled together to do something about it and its a major success.

The difference is that not every country manufactures refrigeration compressors and not freon so it was possible for the rich countries to easily change. Fossil fuels are a harder problem.

Edited by ozimoron

33 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You are right. It IS the problem.  With climate change being treated as a religion, there is incentive to vilify those who don't believe as the religious leaders do.  All the Greta types and Davos people do is ignore the three elephants in the room- China, India, and Africa.  Those folks aren't interested in the Davos agenda, carbon neutrality, or sustainable bug eating. They want to get rich. And to do so they will use whatever energy they can get their hands on. Until you get them on board, all the bloviating and gum flapping at Davos will have zero impact. 

When Klaus Schwab gives up even one of his billions to "the cause", perhaps sells his yacht or his resort property in Jackson Hole Wyoming, he might have a shred of credibility.

31 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

You are right. It IS the problem.  With climate change being treated as a religion, there is incentive to vilify those who don't believe as the religious leaders do.  All the Greta types and Davos people do is ignore the three elephants in the room- China, India, and Africa.  Those folks aren't interested in the Davos agenda, carbon neutrality, or sustainable bug eating. They want to get rich. And to do so they will use whatever energy they can get their hands on. Until you get them on board, all the bloviating and gum flapping at Davos will have zero impact. 

When Klaus Schwab gives up even one of his billions to "the cause", perhaps sells his yacht or his resort property in Jackson Hole Wyoming, he might have a shred of credibility.

No this is the problem:

https://climate.nasa.gov/

Some people want to make excuses and blame others and compare what they are doing with their own personal footprints. Or blame other countries for not doing enough.

If China Doesn’t Cooperate, Is There Any Hope?

Until countries like China and India get on board, how much impact can everyone else realistically have?

Here are the solutions that responsible governments, policy makers and people are doing to help effect change:

image.thumb.png.923689b61c5860cb9e2d54c03220bd05.png

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg3/

China

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/11/china-climate-crisis-renewable-energy-goals

Edited by Bkk Brian

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When I see all the climate alarmists posting in these threads generate their own electricity and the rulers of the earth stop buying beachfront property ........ I will believe it!

Here's a typical conversation with a climate alarmist.

Q: How much of your electricity do you generate? ..... A: None

Q: why not? ...... A: I expect everyone else to pay for my beliefs.

Q: So what do you actually do to prevent climate change? A: I post a lot in forums.

That same old tired canard. Unless YOU are carbon negative you're a hypocrite. Yawn.

What I do is vote for politicians who are going to force change.

22 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

All the Greta types and Davos people do is ignore the three elephants in the room- China, India, and Africa. 

Not quite correct, when the likes of Greta mentions China she gets fat shamed by them. 

Greta Thunberg reacts to 'fatshaming' by Chinese state media

The article called her an "environmental princess" after she said China needed to take responsibility for its emissions.

https://news.sky.com/story/greta-thunberg-reacts-to-fatshaming-by-chinese-state-media-12313438

• Like 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Not quite correct, when the likes of Greta mentions China she gets fat shamed by them. 

Greta Thunberg reacts to 'fatshaming' by Chinese state media

The article called her an "environmental princess" after she said China needed to take responsibility for its emissions.

https://news.sky.com/story/greta-thunberg-reacts-to-fatshaming-by-chinese-state-media-12313438

.... and go protest there.....