What scooter or bike to buy?

Startmeup

15 minutes ago, LS24 said:

Grunt is really not a word I would describe to use anything under 600cc and even then it needs to be used with caution.

Agree, unless electric, then torque is quite impressive, but neither E-MB or small ICE-MB have much of a top end.  

Personally, I wouldn't bother driving anything over the road, distance on the highway, less than 750cc.  Actually never owned anything smaller till I got to TH.   Unless you actually enjoy driving a few hours on the shoulder of the road, aside from a comfy ride.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 11:17 AM, Startmeup said:

Pros/Cons between ADV/NMAX/PCX?

Mostly personal preferences / brand loyalty. 

You have to try out by yourself. 

I don't like the design of the PCX. ADV has decent suspension. NMAX best engine imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, piston broke said:

Click 160, ADV 160 or ADV 350 - There you go - Sorted - Mods please close the thread ....

It's not your OP to be requested closed......so short sighted.

Many different bike styles out there, and what may fit one person might not be what fits another. I rode an ADV 160 in Phuket it's not for me, but then I have an X-Max 300 which is.  I tried the bigger BMW C400X scooter as well, nice bike but to pricey.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, stat said:

Is it true that prices are the same for a new Honda click or Honda ATV, so need to check out different shops? Do you always have to pay the recommended price? Thanks!

Prices vary per location, like Pattaya add on a falang tax so buy elsewhere. Recommended price is the minimum you'll pay, usually they add on a falang tax + registration+ rubbish theft insurance.

Can't avoid registration cost but you can avoid falang tax and theft insurance

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the market for a new click - 125i probably, but maybe 160 and looking for recommendations for dealers who do not charge the Mityong "Central Pattaya" ...ThaiHonda website says RRP 51,400 for 125i, but Mityon want 56K so am happy to travel out of town if it saves me 5k!

PH

On 2/4/2023 at 8:13 AM, scubascuba3 said:

After having my Click 160 for a few weeks I've reverted to riding around the same speed as my Click 125 around town. Safe sweetspot speed doesn't change, but on longer rides speed creeps up

Speeds around town are pretty much limited by the traffic and the lights every few hundred yards. So it doesn't really matter what bike you have that's the speed you will go at. I use the car around town mostly and the average speed is 12 mph !

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:18 PM, stat said:

Is it true that prices are the same for a new Honda click or Honda ATV, so need to check out different shops? Do you always have to pay the recommended price? Thanks!

My Click 160 with ABS (no longer available) was 72,900 baht in mid February.  I believe the ADV 160 is 108,000 baht; a substantial difference.  The demand when I bought my scooter was huge and prices were rising by the month so there was no negotiation. 

It's helpful to understand that the profit is in the finance more than in the markup on the bike. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2023 at 7:16 PM, Bobthegimp said:

My Click 160 with ABS (no longer available) was 72,900 baht in mid February.  I believe the ADV 160 is 108,000 baht; a substantial difference.  The demand when I bought my scooter was huge and prices were rising by the month so there was no negotiation. 

It's helpful to understand that the profit is in the finance more than in the markup on the bike. 

I got prices of various bikes a month ago in Phuket town.

Would be interested to hear what others paid or known prices.

If there is much of a difference on location/haggling.

To me it didn't seem like the prices were negotiable when I asked for the business card at one of the dealers they just said go to any Honda shop all the prices are the same as opposed to me wanting them to come back and buy it from their dealership. 
Am I correct in saying the prices trend down as the year progresses and then jumps back up in Jan for the new years plate?

Honda ADV/PCX - 103,500

X-MAX 350 - 198k

N-MAX 155 ABS both - 101k

Aerox - 76.5k
Aerox ABS front - 87.5k

Click 160 - 67k

I bought an ADV last June from Honda Thalang (Phuket) - I searched around and the only one I could find in stock was a "Limited Edition" Marvel model at B109,900. The standard colours were B99,900 but a minimum three month wait at that time.

B10,000 for a few vinyl graphics is a bit steep but the alternative was to carry on throwing money away on a rental and so I grabbed it.

They're all over the place now - even the so-called Limited Editions.

7 hours ago, Startmeup said:

To me it didn't seem like the prices were negotiable when I asked for the business card at one of the dealers they just said go to any Honda shop all the prices are the same as opposed to me wanting them to come back and buy it from their dealership. 
Am I correct in saying the prices trend down as the year progresses and then jumps back up in Jan for the new years plate?

Honda ADV/PCX - 103,500

X-MAX 350 - 198k

Aerox - 76.5k
Aerox ABS front - 87.5k

Click 160 - 67k

Prices don't seem negotiable at a dealer but just go to a different one, for my Click 160 mine was 62k, had to go out of town to avoid the dealer mafia

On 11/11/2023 at 8:50 PM, Startmeup said:

Honda ADV/PCX - 103,500

X-MAX 350 - 198k

Aerox - 76.5k
Aerox ABS front - 87.5k

Click 160 - 67k

An Aussie YouTuber checked prices in cities near Pattaya and found huge price differences in the bigger and more expensive scooters. I think the difference was 20k baht on a Forsa 350.   Good Vibes Pattaya is the channel. Sorry, I don't have time to find a link. 

Edit to add:  There was no haggling.  The profit is made on the financing, not the sale.  I've been informed that there isn't even a commission on cash sales. 

Edited by Bobthegimp
Add