What scooter or bike to buy?

Startmeup

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Drove the car down to Phuket today. On arrival al I grabbed an ADV 160 at the resort to get through traffic instead if driving the car. The ADV seems strong for a smaller bike, and is half the size of my X-Max 300. With myself and the GF on the bike it pulled the hill to big Buddah ok, but I am 90kg and she is 45kg, so it was about maxed out. For a single male it would be a satisfactory get around town bike.

Agree! Only last week Mrs and myself were in Phuket and hired a 125cc Honda Click. I'm around 100kg & the Mrs is around 80kg. I suppose that's overloaded but there still seemed enough power up the hills. Of more concern was the amount of traffic and, even worse, pedestrians crossing the roads without looking first.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Used to have the Click 125i and now have the 150i. My weight has varied from almost 110kg down to around 90kg. Both Clicks have been fantastic and are perfect for around town. The 125 maybe a little under-powered for a larger pillion.

In a Click, I feel every bump, and if I put a passenger in the back, it is highly unstable. Not my first choice, though an economical one. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I never tried buying a 2nd hand scooter and I don't know the prices.

But I know that lots of guys finance their bikes, and I am pretty sure lots of them are not able to pay for those bikes for years. And then the bikes are repossessed. And then? Who sells those repossessed bikes and for what kind of prices? I guess the prices have to be considerably lower than new, otherwise people won't buy them.

Yes a lot of the second hand bike dealers in Pattaya have nearly new Bangkok registered bikes for sale, at nearly new prices. Why would these be on sale in Pattaya after 1 or 2 years?  I always assumed these would be repossessed bikes and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Just pay a bit more and get a new one in your name.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes a lot of the second hand bike dealers in Pattaya have nearly new Bangkok registered bikes for sale, at nearly new prices. Why would these be on sale in Pattaya after 1 or 2 years?  I always assumed these would be repossessed bikes and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Just pay a bit more and get a new one in your name.

How much is the savings over a new bike?

On 1/23/2023 at 2:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: IMO best options are: 

Honda ADV 350 - Good storage, good bike, very practical. 

Vespa GTS (or Sei Giorni) 300cc - if you want something stylish.

Overkill for only driving around in BKK: too large, too heavy and costing a fortune

• Like 2

Do yourself a favour and don't buy any "standard" Thai scooter such as Click, Scoopy, Wave etc.

At least in stock outfit the suspension and resulting comfort is terrible.

You'll feel every bump in the road together with the rattling noise of plastic parts.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking. I own a Honda CT125 and sometimes driving scooter of my GF or work colleagues (both Scoopy model).

Go for the PCX/ADV or Nmax if you like automatic transmission and scooter style.

Apart from that, any small CC motorcycle has much more comfort than those small scooters.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CLW said:

Do yourself a favour and don't buy any "standard" Thai scooter such as Click, Scoopy, Wave etc.

You'll feel every bump in the road together with the rattling noise of plastic parts.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking. I own a Honda CT125 and sometimes driving scooter of my GF or work colleagues (both Scoopy model).

Go for the PCX/ADV or Nmax if you like automatic transmission and scooter style.

Apart from that, any small CC motorcycle has much more comfort than those small scooters.

What about Aerox?

26 minutes ago, CLW said:

Opinions may vary.

We've had two Yamaha Finos for the family, sold first at 54,000km to colleague of my partner, it was still running at over 100,000km.

Fino #2 has just clicked over 85,000km, four years of daughter going 15km each way to uni, hundreds of trips to the beach - 30km return. 

Yes replaced the shock but for mostly one-up riding they've been faultless and extremely reliable. 

Maybe a different story comfort-wise with a large farang plus gf as pillion though.

Very much depends on what the buyer wants.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

We have; Yamaha Fino, Honda Wave, Honda Scoopy, Honda Click and latterly Yamaha XMAX. No complaints with any. Mainly used for very short local journeys though. 

i used my Honda Click 125 and now 160 around Pattaya but also Sukhumvit to Sattahip, perfect for that journey 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Come on, that's rubbish, I've owned a 125i Click here and now a 160 and nothing as you describe.

Brainwashed people replace shocks and tyres, something wrong with these people or very fat

Then you haven't been riding a real motorcycle yet. It's day and night between those scooters and a small motorcycle

5 minutes ago, CLW said:

Aerox is not bad. Engine is great, plenty of power and torque.

I didn't like the small leg space in the front (depends how tall one is) and the awkward high sitting position of pillion rider. 

For the price of Aerox (68.900 THB) I would consider spending a bit more and purchase the Nmax 155 (90.900 THB). More space and more comfortable ride.

Pros/Cons between ADV/NMAX/PCX?

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

PCX everywhere

ADV a wannabe adventure bike

NMax a gentleman's conveyance.

NMax sells about 5 to 1 over PCX in Indonesia.

Seeing more Xmaxs now around Thailand, I bought one 2 years ago.  Great bike.