Motorcyclist Driving in Wrong Direction Hit Head-On and Killed in Sri Racha

snoop1130

327333377_940738090255367_5342189582485517511_n-696x323.jpg

PHOTO: ศรีราชานิวส์

A Thai man met his unfortunate demise after he was crashed head-on by a pickup while driving against traffic on Tuesday, January 24th.

At 11:30 AM, Nongkham Police were alerted to the accident at the Bueng sub-district of Sri Racha district and rushed to the scene with the Sri Racha rescue unit.

The team arrived at a one-way road with three lanes. They found the victim lying deceased in the right lane. The victim was later identified by police as 71-year-old Mr. Somjai Kamsui, a Chonburi native.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/01/25/motorcyclist-driving-in-wrong-direction-hit-head-on-and-killed-in-sri-racha/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

11 hours ago, riclag said:

It appears the vehicle hit the motorcycle from its side !

This is my biggest fear hitting a motorcycle cause the driver was to lazy to go to the correct side of the road !

There wasn't a correct side of the road for him....up there it says it was  a 3 lane one-way. Something one might see on the Railway Line Bypass in Pattaya.... no, be honest, not  'might'.... more exactly 'likely'. Not people to go out of their way the locals. My Mrs is dumbfounded if I  go a few hundred metres further to do something far safer. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

foolishness and recklessness

yea, it's not being stupid.

try to save time, maybe be "crazy", maybe think the roads are the same as 50-years ago, maybe your dad taught you this, maybe you never knew anyone to die here before......... we have all been foolish and reckless, but this is next level in my book.   71 on a motorbike, sad.  wearing a helmet?  can I ask?

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

From another picture in the Thai article it looks like the pickup driver passed a solid lane to overtake trucks in the second lane.

The article says 

"The team arrived at a one-way road with three lanes." 

You don't have to expect that someone drives in your direction.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

How did Somchai make it to 71 years?

I doubt that Somchai raced like mad on his Honda Wave 110 ccm.

Tell me prejudiced but 27yr old driver, pickup with flatbed shiny rims?

"claimed that he was driving normally" what he considers normally?

The Thai article says the right lane where the pickup drove was for U-turn?

Yeh I'm thinking the same, the old boy has probably been doing this all his life & I've noticed these lowered pick ups with loud smokey exhausts drive like idiots & i had one come from nowhere at speed from behind me on my bike & was so close to me, I don't know if it was deliberate or just wasn't paying attention (on phone etc)......

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A Thai man met his unfortunate demise after he was crashed head-on by a pickup while driving against traffic on Tuesday, January 24th.

Sorry but that is not unfortunate, driving the wrong way in the right lane, on a 3 lane one way road, is more like a suicidal act. Murphy's Law.

Unfortunately it’s an everyday occurrence here. Always dodging motorbikes driving on the wrong side of the road to save a little time. Exactly why I have a dash cam. When I hit that idiot I can just show the police so they don’t blame me and trust the so called Thai witnesses. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, jcmj said:

...Always dodging motorbikes driving on the wrong side of the road to save a little time. Exactly why I have a dash cam. When I hit that idiot I can just show the police so they don’t blame me and trust the so called Thai witnesses. 

I ride a red Zoomer X and wear a white helmet. Just for the "next" time, you know it is me.????

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its valid scepticism....     Pickup driver hooning it like an utter psychopath runs into the back of poor Somchai...  then claims he was going the wrong way. 

That said, pretty much every single time I take the motorcycle or car out on the roads in Thailand there is someone going the wrong way on the wrong side the road and there is no pattern...  old guy or young guy, male or female...  its just the norm... 

So... the claims of the pickup driver are not implausible.... 

I hope there is some sort of CCTV footage from nearby which can clearly identify and prove the direction the motorcyclist was travelling in. 

going wrong way with phone on hand ...see it all the time