Millions forced to skip meals as UK cost of living crisis deepens

Scott

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No, because I normally live in Thailand.

I arrived here last week.

Nice try though.

You know how much chicken costs in UK but not in Thailand.

You do, however, feel qualified to compare prices. Strange.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

60bht for 250gm in Lotus's for chicken breasts.

Your UK chicken was way cheaper than Thailand chicken.

Even more than you think. I used drum sticks. They are more expensive in Thailand than breast. Thais prefer meat on the bone or near the fat and pay more for it. Something that surprised me when I first noticed. Also belly pork more expensive than loin or fillet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Yes, they do.

However, because of lifestyle choices, we are not struggling.

Please explain how those on higher salaries than us are struggling, if it's not because of lifestyle choices. 

I have, in previous post...read and digest.

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Yes, they do.

However, because of lifestyle choices, we are not struggling.

Please explain how those on higher salaries than us are struggling, if it's not because of lifestyle choices. 

I think the topic is about millions of people going hungry, not people on higher salaries than you ‘struggling’, but let me check.

Oh yes, I’m correct.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think the topic is about millions of people going hungry, not people on higher salaries than you ‘struggling’, but let me check.

Oh yes, I’m correct.

I wasn't talking to you.

My post was relevant to the post I was quoting. 

12 hours ago, Credo said:

A big part of the problem is that so many people are relegated to eating very unhealthy food with a very high fat content.   

Eating fat does not make you fat.  Eating too much, especially sugars, makes you fat.  Eating too much fat is not good for you - your arteries in particular, but itahat's a whole different problem.

PH

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Even more than you think. I used drum sticks. They are more expensive in Thailand than breast. Thais prefer meat on the bone or near the fat and pay more for it. Something that surprised me when I first noticed. Also belly pork more expensive than loin or fillet.

Odd but true.

I used to like liver and bacon for breakfast but was never prepared to pay the same price for pork liver as for lean pork steak.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Guessing that many of the posters on this forum have worked hard for their retirement, have sometimes (often) been fleeced by a divorce settlement in their home country, and yet have still managed to provide for a "comfortable" later life. It should not be a surprise that they have little sympathy for those who appear incapable of financial self-management.

Nope..many here are living on benefits like state pension, old age pension, etc, paid by the taxpayers in the home countries. I get every year a "thank you" email from the government about how my taxes are spent, the biggest item by far is paying old age pensions.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Nope..many here are living on benefits like state pension, old age pension, etc, paid by the taxpayers in the home countries. I get every year a "thank you" email from the government about how my taxes are spent, the biggest item by far is paying old age pensions.

Is it my fault the UK government choose to spent the 20% NI I paid most of my working life for a state pension, rather than invest it?

I don't think so.

Better you worry about the money the UK wastes on supporting the Ukraine war, foreign aid for India, and the armed forces. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nonsense...people struggling in the current economic crisis are not to blame for it.

They are not to blame for the crisis. That much is true.

However, a large % of them are to blame for the fact they are struggling. Unfortunately, the welfare state in the UK has created a culture where people make poor decisions lightly, in the belief that the state will bail them out if needs be. Huge mortgages for houses they can't afford, big screen TV's they don't need, new BMW's when a second hand Honda would do the job, and so on.

Then, when the pooper hits the fan in a scenario like Covid melting the World economy, they cry like babies that they haven't got steak for dinner every night. Treat people like children, they will act like children. The West has produced generations of weak minded cry babies who think the world owes them a living.

Hopefully when the cost of living crisis ends a lot of people will have learnt some of the harsh lessons of life and take a bit more responsibility for their own well being in future. In the mean time, I wish them the best but prefer not to pay additional tax to bail them out.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Good for them.

Life experiences of others differ.

Life experiences? Or choices.

Of my group of a dozen close friends from school who hung around together for 10 years or so, about half of us have done well, half are what you might say, "struggling". In each and every case, the result was down to their choices. Getting girls pregnant (or not), getting an education (or not), buying a house when they were cheap (or not), forging a decent career (or not).

Their life experiences are a result of their choices.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

pretty sure that you could make a tin of beans and half a loaf of wholemeal last for 2 meals - people moaning are probably also the ones covered in tattoos , supping energy drinks and rolling a fag whilst on the ps5 !

Robbing homosexuals is disgraceful!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Is it my fault the UK government choose to spent the 20% NI I paid most of my working life for a state pension, rather than invest it?

I don't think so.

Better you worry about the money the UK wastes on supporting the Ukraine war, foreign aid for India, and the armed forces. 

You paid 20% to NI

Wow!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, puchooay said:

Due to laziness, yes.

Yesterday I made a chicken casserole for 4 people. Total cost £3.80.

Chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, spinach and red pepper. Served with jacket potatoes. 10 minutes prep, 50 minutes cooking time. 

Cheap, wholesome food with minimal fat content. Just a bit of effort needed.

you were the buriram pie man though, not everyone knows how to do it...

13 hours ago, puchooay said:

Yesterday I made a chicken casserole for 4 people. Total cost £3.80.

I just sent me mum 30 tortillas, 8 cans of chili. 34 bucks.

30 burritos for $1.13 each. Crikey! Tho my bro will have to hit the store for some cheese, rice, veg, for just a little more.

burritos.jpg