Questions on View Talay 5 and 7

Hi All,

I have been looking at Condos a lot recently (online) and have come to the conclusion that I am better off buying a large apartment in an older building, than a small apartment in a newer building, so i have focussed in on View Talay 5 or 7 in Jomtien

Of course there are several trade offs and pros/cons that I have identified on these older buildings versus the newer lagoona type developments :

Cons:

·       Poor facilities & common areas

·       Old lifts, possible infestations

·       Old windows and doors

·       Awkward rectangular shoebox shape

Pros:

·       Sea views, some unlikely to ever get interrupted

·       Location, on baht bus route, near bars restaurants food mart etc

·       Bigger units 48 SQM versus 27 SQM in most new developments

·       Better soundproofing than new units?

·       Potentially easier to resell, especially if a modern spec?

I am considering purchasing a shell unit and fitting it out to my spec, I have noticed that a few units for sale have managed to squeeze in a separate bedroom and living room by some clever design/planning, which is what i would also like to do

e.g.

https://www.thailand-property.com/condo-for-sale-in-view-talay-5-jomtien-chonburi_5177377

or

https://towncountryproperty.com/property/condo-for-sale-and-rent-view-talay-5-jtc23230/

I like this division of the living space from sleeping space

1030564275_Screenshot2023-02-05150123.png.f85f6eb97343b538b6c1b09bd72a1805.png

So on to my questions that hopefully some of the BMs here can help with!

Dimensions:

What are exact dimensions for 48 SQM condo? Is it 8 Meters x 4 Meters rectangle?

I am guessing this includes the balcony, and if so what is the depth of the balcony (small red arrow on pic below)
What is the depth of the main room, i.e. the distance from the bathroom wall to balcony windows (larger red arrow on pic below)

1697894493_Screenshot2023-02-05150447.png.eaa7cdefa440c31ff3742bd37f348d74.png

Aspect:

Is the Jomtien facing (south side) really that hot?

Are owners allowed to install sun shades on the balcony to provide some sun protection or tinted windows?

Windows:

Can owners replace the aluminium sliding door with PVC or modern aluminium windows?
If so do they have do they have to be center opening same as the original, or can I go with something modern like 2 or 3 moving panels?

Air Con:

The plastic ducting that i have seen in some Condos looks awful.

For those that have had AC newly installed, is it possible to chase a groove into the wall to hide AC cables and pipework?

Front door:

Are owners allowed to replace the front door? If so do they have to be a certain type to ensure consistency in the look and feel of the corridors?

Building works:

How much advance notice is required for building works?

Is it a question of requesting the maintenance window for the works and waiting, or is further permission and consultation needed?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

• Like 2

Why not direct your questions to the agents listing these properties, they should be able to answer most of your questions.

You usually cannot change any external windows, doors, or add awnings on any condos.

Air conditioning pipes can usually be chased into walls.

Most blocks have rules in place that doesn't allow work on weekends/nights. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Why not direct your questions to the agents listing these properties, they should be able to answer most of your questions.

i am overseas at the moment, so just trying to do my research before heading back to Pattaya.

Also i am unlikely to deal with agents, as i have been told dealing with VT directly is the best option for accessing their unsold quotas.

52 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

can't understand why you would want two TVs?

haha i hate TVs in the bedroom too, but sometimes they are useful to down out noise from the neighbours!

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

You usually cannot change any external windows, doors, or add awnings on any condos.

That's where my query originated from, looking at the pics of for sale/rent condos in VT5/7 there are definitely units that have newer PVC windows, main doors and awnings installed

27 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

ake a good look at the condo management and committee. If that is not up to good standards then forget about it. How many co-owners are actually paying their community charges? Are the accounts in order

my understanding is that the VT 5/7 condos are pretty well run in terms of management and committee. hence my interest there.... old(ish) but have the sea view and supposed to be well run... but that's the kind of feedback i am hoping to hear here!

• Like 1

You will get more space in an older condo for the same price as a new one.  Many of these have been remodeled and are a bit higher in price but still good rentals.  The View Talay condo buildings I am familiar with seem to be reasonably well managed and maintained.  One thing you should ask about is whether or not the square meter area includes the balcony or not - I have seen it both ways.  Generally you can get approval to replace older single pane sliding glass doors with new double or triple pane ones that offer better heat and sound insulation, but the colors must match the original colors.

A South facing condo will be getting direct sunlight most of the year.  A North facing condo will require much less AC, thus will give you a lower electric bill - typically one to two thousand Bt/month.  From a North facing balcony you can get a good view of Pattaya, and the ocean off to the left, from some of these.

An option not to be overlooked is to rent an older house.  I have been renting the same 140 m² older two story house for 8 years for less than 20,000 Bt/month.  I have two bedrooms, two baths (up and down), and a Western style kitchen with oven and counter top gas burners.

I didn't come to Thailand to freeze so I run my larger downstairs (combined living room and kitchen) AC at 28ºC and my bedroom one at 27.  The utility bills equal about 3500 Bt on average.  The house is one block from Thappraya.  There are more houses for similar rents within a couple of blocks of Thappraya.  I'm sure there are some available West of Jomtien Second Road but there is no Baht Bus service on Jomtien Second Rd.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, colmx said:

my understanding is that the VT 5/7 condos are pretty well run in terms of management and committee. hence my interest there.... old(ish) but have the sea view and supposed to be well run... but that's the kind of feedback i am hoping to hear here!

Any other comment I have, condos with a sea view are generally priced higher. This is one reason I would never buy a sea view, the other being you get pretty bored of the sea view after a week or so. I would buy something with a view towards woods or hills on a low level (so you can always use the stairs and easy to get out if emergency). The woods will mute sound and make the condo unit really peaceful and tranquil, and provide shade.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 2

I own a standard studio in VT5 D (block further from the beach). Looking at the title deed, the 48 sq m comprises roughly 39 of internal unit and 9 of balcony. Internal unit is almost perfectly rectangular, about 8.8 by 4.4 metres. Balcony depth is about 2.3 metres (all rough estimates, don’t use for architectural plans!). I think some of the studios have a longer balcony.

I’d strongly advise buying on the Pattaya (shady) side. Although I was last there back in March 2020, I remember that the only time I saw the sun was in the late afternoon, in time to see the it dipping below the water at sunset. Huge advantage in being able to keep the curtains open and enjoy the view all day.

Although Block D is further from the sea than Block C, I think it has the advantage of a view entirely free of nearer buildings, looking out over several streets of single story villas that I’d think would be unlikely to be converted to high rise. There’s a large vacant seafront block further away that could be developed in future, but I don’t think I’d lose too much view. 

Other advantage is that it’s opposite the bus station to the airport, although that could change in future, as there’s not much room for the buses. 

I think it’s very quiet, but I am on the 21st floor. Great swimming pool that’s good for proper laps. No gym. The annual juristic fee  is amazingly low, this year just 7260 baht. Can’t answer any of your questions on modifying units, sorry.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Expat68 said:

In your design can't understand why you would want two TVs? Living area and bedroom. There are only two things you would want to do in a bedroom ???? and one ain't watching TV but each to their own, good luck

In my condo I don't have TV in the bed room. The one in the living room is turned on may be a few times in the last three years. I did not want the TV in the living room but my GF insisted that I should have one in the living room and found a LG 52-inch TV on sale three years ago for 8K so I bought it.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 1:41 PM, CygnusX1 said:

looking at the title deed, the 48 sq m comprises roughly 39 of internal unit and 9 of balcony. Internal unit is almost perfectly rectangular, about 8.8 by 4.4 metres. Balcony depth is about 2.3 metres (all rough estimates, don’t use for architectural plans!).

Thanks Cygnus, that really helps with my planning, i reckon 8.8M is just about enough to squeeze in a 6ft super king with 2 night stands into the bedroom and proper 3 seat corner sofa into the loving space. of course they will be cramped but a lot better than the 2 seater sofa and 4ft6 beds that i see in some of the modern 27SQM 1 bed condos in Arcadia, Riviera, the base etc

I’d strongly advise buying on the Pattaya (shady) side

Do you know if its possible to put up a blind type sun shade if you are on the Sunny side? or if those are forbidden by the house rules?

Although Block D is further from the sea than Block C, I think it has the advantage of a view entirely free of nearer buildings, looking out over several streets of single story villas that I’d think would be unlikely to be converted to high rise

Ok that's given me some food for thought, i was thinking previously that C was the better block, as it had no noise from Tappraya traffic, but i understand there is more availability in D. I will most likely look at doing AirBNB in 3 units at songkran:

1 in D, 1 in C and another to compare sunny vs shady side. 

On 2/6/2023 at 3:32 AM, ubonr1971 said:

what about VT 6 next to the hiton? Number 1 location IMHO. 

Old rooms and old lifts but location is the best

Agree location is good for VT6, but the beach in Jomtien is nicer and its also easier to tell my colleagues, family and friends i am buying in the "prestigious resort of Jomtien" and not "sleazy Pattaya".... and thus not come across like a sex tourist!

On 2/6/2023 at 1:54 PM, Xanthe said:

The one in the living room is turned on may be a few times in the last three years

In the condo i rented for 3 weeks at New Year (in south Pattaya) i dont think i turned on the TV once, but still it is nice to have on a wall to finish a room!

3 hours ago, colmx said:

In the condo i rented for 3 weeks at New Year (in south Pattaya) i dont think i turned on the TV once, but still it is nice to have on a wall to finish a room!

That's the exact reason my GF gave me to convince me to buy the TV. 

13 hours ago, colmx said:

proper 3 seat corner sofa into the loving space.

Freudian slip?

My place has a very large bed and sofa, but still heaps of free space. Balcony’s a generous size, unlike some new places where you can just about squeeze onto it if you stand up.

Sorry, can’t answer your question on a sun shade, but I didn’t notice any obvious external shades when I was there last. Buy shady side if at all possible.

Great idea to rent a couple of units before you buy - I Airbnb’d a unit a few floors below mine before buying.

Apologies for late reply, I’ve just flown to Australia’s Gold Coast today, great view from 42nd floor apartment.

• Like 1