American tourists spend more money than Europeans in Thailand: survey

webfact

3 hours ago, PB172111 said:

Yep, the pome’s are cheapskates and whingers.

but we, big spending Americans always knew this.

Pome’s like to:

1. Find a bar stool and whinge about their day.

2. shake their head at other drivers while riding a scooter.

3. shout abuse at other drivers, thinking that they are still on those small narrow roads in the UK.

4. Whinge when traffic won’t stop on a zebra crossing.

I am just glad that the hanky on the head has stopped ????????????

At least the Brits don't all have a fanny, and can find Green Fire exits, not stupid Red ones as in yanky land,  And the best driving skills.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Hell, some of us are lucky to get 2 weeks vacation.  You get 3 weeks after 7 to 10 years working at a company.

Yes, most Yanks get very little vacation time, 1 or 2 weeks.  I was fortunate with last company worked for, got 3rd after 5 yrs, 4th after 10 yrs, and some max'd out at 8 weeks ????

Why they stay close to the Americas, and a few hrs away to holiday destinations.   East coast USA to Phuket, allow 5 days travel time, usually, when I was going back & forth, to Phuket or Udon Thani.  Plane came in BKK too late so an overnight was required to onward.   Then worst, it departed to return to USA, @ 0600 hrs, so repeat overnight to return to east coast.

With that in mind, it's going to be higher end tourist coming to Thailand.

Florida, 2+ hours away, Mexico/Caribbean 3-4-5 hrs away, and much cheaper airfare ... 

... nuff said

EU ... 8 - 12 hrs, depending where and non-stop flight or not.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

News flash:  Two week millionaires spend more $$ cause they have to get back to work (or nagging wives)  where they can make more $$ and plan their next trip.  People who stay in Thailand for months at a time don't have the same clock ticking that wow i better get more massages, eat more food, take more bar girls home . stay in nicer hotels cause in two weeks i am back to reality where i can't afford much any of those things yet he is going to likely sit and think about how wonderful it all was if only briefly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Alternative theory:

Hotel prices over here are so ga-ga cheap compared to the States that staying in a Dusit or Shangri La property is not much off staying in Holiday Inn Express Motel in a pricey tourist town in the states. Even a stay in a place like London or Paris is heavily discounted compared to in the states.

90% of my 4* hotel memories take place in Thailand. Even poorer nearby countries don't offer up such plush hotels at such super discounts. A 5* Hotel in Angkor Wat costs the same as a 5* hotel in Phuket.

I do agree with the poster that N. Americans are more likely to purchase something crafty like a Hmong textile or a celadon vase compared to Europeans, but he seems to think that's a negative thing, and I think it's a great thing that keeps these items alive.

I haven't been to the States for years, but their hotel prices were hugely less than in the UK so I'm not sure what's happened there.

8 hours ago, neeray said:

I guess I'm a Cheap Charlie (Canadian). I never spent anywhere near that amount. Yet I never lacked for anything either. My gf of the time was very frugal and didn't spend my baht unnecessarily and she knew all the right places to shop or dine. Perhaps the fact that neither one of us consumed alcohol helped stretch the budget.

Budget Barry

Sensible Sam

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

British Tip!

I think the staff should work for an employer that pays them a proper wage.

They'll get no other tips from me.

Depends on if I'm going back or not.

I eat at the Why Not? Italian restaurant at least once a week. The service is great. No service charge there, so I'm tossing in 10-15% on top, depending on the bills in my wallet. I like those people and they like me.

Actually, I can't think of any non-service charge places where they don't kill themselves to do for me here. It's a pleasure to part with that dollar.

At the unlimited dim sum lunch at the Chiang Mai Shangri-La (400 baht), they add 10 % and tax.

There was a woman who was sort of the dim sum traffic co-ordinator, so four of us gave her 200 baht on top. We gave her 100 baht on the first dim sum round and then another 100 at the end.

Lest any heads explode, that didn't bring our food out any faster, but it it come out a bit hotter.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Sounds like you have a vision of American travelers from the 1960s. 

The American equivalent of this would be the last remaining Boomers left alive who still think you can't get ice in a drink in London.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JayLeno said:

I didn't know that Europe was a nationality.... This article lacks of serious analysis. How can you compare different countries with different economy and label them as European without going in details...

Or....one might ask why the zeal for the comparisons. 

Is it a competition of sorts?

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Just the usual divisive news-blips ... distraction by the puppeteers ????

....and the sources that are usually sucked in by the common distractions.

More akin to tabloid style. 

• Thanks 1

A cheap charlie can be found in the USA just as in any EU country.

A rich indian can spend in one night in Bangkok, what a US Joe Soap spends in year and a half.

A rich European would more likely be in Monaco, Dubaï, St-Tropez, St-Barth or some other French island in the Carreebean.

A rich US would have more chances to end up in Miami, Caymans or Puerto Rico...

Thailand has the magic to cater a very large pannel of great spenders, that go far beyond the classical US-Europe cliché.

The main thing for any US; European, Indian, Korean or whatever.......leave your egos back home and come with a smile.....and your ca$h......nothing more

• Thumbs Up 1

what about the Chinese or Indians and the other nationalities they count as tourists as well, last week TAT provided a list of tourists arriving in Thailand and that included Russians, Laotians, Malays, Myanmar, Nepal... wondering how much they spend compared to the Americans and/or to the Europeans

7 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

well said

Uk Government is hanging all out to dry . Why ? For the Tories to regain there power over there own destiny that is not worth saving and drag all workers into a spiral of poverty .

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

Irrelevant,

Texans are citizens of the USA and spend USD

Germans are citizens of the of the European Union and spend Euro.

Canadians and Brits are out of it.

Irrelevant?  So you believe that the average Bulgarian, Romanian and Hungarian tourist will match the spend of the average Swedish, German and UK tourist??  More likely that they will cancel out the "advantage"

• Thumbs Up 1

It only means Europeans is smarter and choose same standard available for less money!

Another thing, the biggest spenders I have met is Bangkok Thai tourists. Hands down, they have money, and like to show it. You might not see them at typical western tourist places.

Europeans are just cheap. I see it every day. Witnessed some Europeans 3 or 4 times drinking beer at a restaurant and collecting the empty bottles to take home and sell at the recycling center. <deleted>. Another guy I know is always complaining about the prices.  If he has to pay for ice he never goes back. Always pointing out how his Chang beer is 3 to 5 baht cheaper than my Leo. Never understood the opposition with the price of things.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Europeans are just cheap. I see it every day. Witnessed some Europeans 3 or 4 times drinking beer at a restaurant and collecting the empty bottles to take home and sell at the recycling center. <deleted>. Another guy I know is always complaining about the prices.  If he has to pay for ice he never goes back. Always pointing out how his Chang beer is 3 to 5 baht cheaper than my Leo. Never understood the opposition with the price of things.  

Says more about you and places you visit ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Another thing, the biggest spenders I have met is Bangkok Thai tourists. Hands down, they have money, and like to show it. 

I live in the Nimman section of Chiang Mai and I see plenty of Bangkok weekenders filling the sushi and shabu shabu bars.

There's also a lot of local Chiang Mai money filling up Ginger Kitchen to the point where you need a reservation, post peak-season.

On a Saturday night, every 150 baht Mango/Coco shake and 750 baht spliff finds a taker.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Purdey said:

Just asking 200 people sounds suspiciously too few in order to be statistically significant. 

200 is okay. That gives a result which is 99% of the time within plus or minus 10% of the actual value. To lower the margin of error to +-5% the sample group would have to be closer to 400. 

• Like 1